saturday plutonium pineapples at periapsis

'ning

cold start, warmers, in august, sigh

ride, cafes and laze
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Feeling better so might have a slow ride on the spin bike whilst watching the qualifying
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Morning. Just been out for an hour. New wheels make a lovely noise. Not any faster, mind, although they do behave well in head/cross winds. But it’s all about the bling/noise!!

Otherwise, trip to drop shoes off at the cobbler to get new heels, I’ll chop a little bit off the steerer (but won’t be slamming the stem yet), clean the bbq for tomorrow and vuelta this afternoon. Chill day really.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    We're off to Diggerland!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    oxoman said:

Currently playing host to eldest lads GF...

Potential for squirmabout there.
    elbowloh said:

We're off to Diggerland!

Please, please, please - can I come, can I come?

Must ship toots and OH out as the weather is perfect and I shall be riding through Andalucía today on a long stage.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    pleasant doughnut at cafe two, feels more like november than august, cloud and windycold

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Now I have that Nizlopi JCB song in my head.

Lazy start, no riding today, pootle about pretending to do some tidy up stuff then off par le train this pm to meet up with some pals at one of their houses for (sunshine endowed?) drinkies, nibbles and barbies. Will be within the bass sound radius of Reading festival, which is better than having to mix with the teenager hordes of the unwashed and unvacced.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,165
    Good luck to MF. We still don't know where he's going, mind.

Very good lie in had. Plan has changed a bit for today as the ladies will do the first scoping of the new target house and I'll do a separate viewing if they give it the seal of approval. Got another one to view on Tuesday next week but I'm not as keen on that one.

Think I'll fiddle around with my new watch while they're out :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    Stevo_666 said:

Alsager?

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    Although it may not be by the time I write this.
    Traditional slow start was enjoyed, now drinking coffee. Going to mosey over to the old dear's shortly. All sorts of strange goings on with old people. Aunt and uncle live round the corner from her and are losing it big style. Need to see what's going on but need a reliable witness.
  • Stevo_666
    tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Alsager?

He's probably wishing he was on the way to Kabul airport instead.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    MattFalle said:

oh - we booked a holiday to Santorini last night.

hopefully all this plagueshit will have calmed down or at least some semblance of what zone does what by the time we go.

Santorini before school term starts? Is it really that dangerous?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Removed flooring from the home office, stacked up in the shed. Sold it I think on FB, so will be good to get that out of the way. Builder allegedly coming this week one day to start works with a simple little frame-up job for an expanded linen closet in the hall.

Other than that, moved a few chairs around to make space for furniture to shift later when the tiling gets done.

Woohoo. Ripper of a Saturday.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • elbowloh
    Diggerland is good, but boy is about 91 cm, so enough to pay full price, but too short to go on 80% of the rides

The queue for food is also loooong!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977

That was hard work but the Wetherspoons at the end saved the day!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    Bar silly skirmish with silly driver who passes me on a single road, super ride today. 22 deg c, slight breeze, not a cloud. Driver said in a thick Lancashire accent "You were in the middle of the road".
    1. If I was, there is no way he could have got passed me.
    2. If he did actually get through a gap if I was in the middle of the road - it shows you how close he was.
    3. Doesn't mean he had some sort of right to pass me even if I was 'in the middle of the road'.

I was doing 35 ish. I wasn't exactly holding him up. I didn't even know he was there until the wing mirror went passed my right elbow and had he been patient, I would have noticed and I would have moved over.
    Most other car drivers have been very courteous.

Do I ?:
    1. Report him.
    2. Wait a while and let his tyres down.
    3. Stick it on faceache with pic of van.
    4. Put it down to 'that was lucky'.
  • pinno
    elbowloh said:

Diggerland is good, but boy is about 91 cm, so enough to pay full price, but too short to go on 80% of the rides

Ask for an 80% price reduction.

• Stevo_666
    edited August 2021
    pinno said:

Bar silly skirmish with silly driver who passes me on a single road, super ride today. 22 deg c, slight breeze, not a cloud. Driver said in a thick Lancashire accent "You were in the middle of the road".
    1. If I was, there is no way he could have got passed me.
    2. If he did actually get through a gap if I was in the middle of the road - it shows you how close he was.
    3. Doesn't mean he had some sort of right to pass me even if I was 'in the middle of the road'.

I was doing 35 ish. I wasn't exactly holding him up. I didn't even know he was there until the wing mirror went passed my right elbow and had he been patient, I would have noticed and I would have moved over.
    Most other car drivers have been very courteous.

Do I ?:
    1. Report him.
    2. Wait a while and let his tyres down.
    3. Stick it on faceache with pic of van.

Or:
    5. Watch MOTD tonight and all of this will fade into insignificance ;)
  • tlw1
    Mate just left a couple of pints from the pub on the doorstep 😎
  • veronese68
    pinno said:

I struggle with it myself at times but that is the best option.
    Although if the cnut in the blue Audi with the 666 number plate comes near me again I'll cut his heart out with a spoon 😁
  • pinno
    edited August 2021

pinno said:

If he pulls a manoeuvre like that again near a cyclist, it may not end up a just close shave.
    If the cops accept my gripe, at least he'll get a wrap on the knuckles.
    In an urban environment like London where there are too many vehicles and there's just no room, I would expect close shaves quite often but out in the sticks, there's no excuse for drivers to behave like that.
    I mean - where is he going? Another 10 seconds and the road gets a bit wider and the series of pot holes (and resulting debris) ends.

• veronese68
    pinno said:

pinno said:

If he pulls a manoeuvre like that again near a cyclist, it may not end up a just close shave.
    In an urban environment like London where there are too many vehicles and there's just no room, I would expect close shaves quite often but out in the sticks, there's no excuse for drivers to behave like that.
    I mean - where is he going? Another 10 seconds and the road gets a bit wider and the series of pot holes (and resulting debris) ends.

Peoplearecunts, or some of them are at any rate. I must confess country lanes scare me more than towns. In town, cars are not going much faster than me. On a country lane they can be going a lot faster.
  • elbowloh

pinno said:

pinno said:

Peoplearecunts, or some of them are at any rate. I must confess country lanes scare me more than towns. In town, cars are not going much faster than me. On a country lane they can be going a lot faster.
    Yeah, agree in the main. In the country, people are desperate to overtake as its is 100% their right to be in front of a cyclist no matter how fast they're going and no matter how little room there is....oh and they love going round blind bends in the middle of the road.

The main issue on towns for me are
    1 the overtake and immediate left turn
    2 the right turn through stationary traffic and not looking for cyclists
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I had an example of number two a few weeks ago. Sunday ride, early, so quiet on the road. Rainy, greasy roads. Young bloke in a bmw overtook, immediately signalled left and started turning. I was managing about 18mph. First time I was grateful to have disc brakes.

Much loud swearing occurred as I started up again. The tw@t wound his window down to remonstrate, for it appears it was me in the wrong. Best he could manage was some shouted comment about road tax. Rarer than getting into a discussion with him, Bexleyheath Broadway just echoed to the words “oh just fuckoff!!!!” He needs to be more careful in daddy’s car.
  • pinno
    I used to commute by bike. It is without doubt much better for my mental well being that I don't. I have had fights with car drivers and countless incidents.
    I was only ever knocked off once and that is by default rather then design.
    My favourite trick was slapping the boot or roof of a car when they overtook me only to be sat in front, stationary at the traffic lights or cut me up. They would jump out of their skin.
    One day, whilst dawdling along after a long ride, on a 2 lane, one way road. A guy in his MR2 was parked on the left. He watched me in his mirror and then after loosing his patience, opened the door anyway. I had to swerve to the right nearly getting hit in the process to the sound of an elongated horn. I noticed he was only going to join a queue at the cash machine, some 50/60 yds away. I cycled around the block, dismounted adjacent to his car and smashed (kicked) his wing mirror and cycled off.
    2 weeks later sat at the Little chef mid Sunday club run, I recounted this event and one of the guys* worked for the local Toyota dealer - he remembered the car coming in needing a remote mirror, new door skin and paint. Very expensive.
    In recollection, it was silly because it only serves to increase their antipathy towards cyclists.
    Don't you just love the 'don't pay road tax' argument? Silly feckers.

*This guy (a driver too) hated other motorists. After the first TT I attended at this club, he said "are you coming into town boys?" No, no, no was the chorus of replies... except me.
    I followed him in and at the first opportunity, he cycles into the bus lane (no other traffic allowed), leans up against the central dividing barrier and waits. I'm sat on my bike wondering wtf is he doing? Moments later a cop car arrives on the other side of the barrier and Johnny (not his real name) shouts "oi you f*cking w@nkers" whilst gesticulating. Cop car has to go the other end of the barrier before making a U turn and we take off.
    The only thing is that I was not familiar with the one way system but despite that, managed to get away. It was his idea of 'fun'.
    Some time after that on a Sunday run towards Tunbridge wells, in the sticks, oldish bloke in Mondeo is beeping his horn at us and driving far too close along this line of roughly 20 odd cyclists.
    This guy is pushy and impatient.
    When he finally gets by, 'Johnny' and a few other protagonists that exchanged words with him chase the car and less than half a mile later, Mondeo arrives at a cross roads.
    He was quickly surrounded by the cyclists, he gets out if his car, words are exchanged and they accost him to the verge. The car gets pushed into the middle of the cross roads and the ignition key gets lobbed into the field. I kid you not. This all happened in front of my eyes - I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
    The police turned up at the next Tuesday club meet and we all denied it and said the 'it was the Tunbridge CC boys who dunnit - we heard about it'.
    The Chairman of the club gave us short shrift once the police had gone.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

pinno said:

pinno said:

I had no idea how many different people were c.unts till I met V68, he certainly doesn’t discriminate 😂
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • veronese68
    I'm an equal opportunity curmudgeon, maybe that's one for the ageing thread.
  • tlw1

I'm an equal opportunity curmudgeon, maybe that's one for the ageing thread.

No, you are a massive……….