Foam rollers

Considering getting a foam roller. Does anyone use these and have your noticed any significant benefits and do you use soft or firm roller?TIA

Comments

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I’ve got a softish one from Amazon to roll my IT band. Definitely helps.

I would get one on the softer side to start with & then maybe get a harder one as you progress.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,171
    They are useful if you do it regularly. The pain the first time you use one is immense, especially if you get a firm one... try to man up, it gets better
    left the forum March 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    It's not like they are a big investment so why not... I find it helps when I get knots/tight ITB etc.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    I use it to address some areas that were missed or not highlighted enough during my regular massages.

It helps for me.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Your Ineos sore spot.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    Definitely helps stop my IT band flaring up and I've had a physio recommend using one too. Expect it to hurt like hell on the first few uses but it gets better with use.

Depending on which particular body part you want to get to you may want a smaller/larger or firmer/softer one. For calves a cheap street hockey ball works well.
  • flycop
    flycop Posts: 20
    Try using a foam type roller to start with, it wont be as sore as the solid type rollers.
    I use both types depending if I'm at home or at the gym.
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    I love my foam rollers. They seem to mitigate any aches and pains the day after a big effort.
  • webboo
    I really struggled to get any benefit from foam rolling. So when daughter asked me what I would like for Christmas I hinted at a massage gun.
    Works a treat.
  • webboo said:

I really struggled to get any benefit from foam rolling. So when daughter asked me what I would like for Christmas I hinted at a massage gun.
    Works a treat.

Hi webboo, I’m looking at getting a massage gun. Would you mind saying which one you got as trying to narrow down options. Have been looking at the flow mini massage which seems to get good reviews and has a good price too. I’d definitely want it for my legs, but also have tight neck muscles too. Have you used for similar? Any advice appreciated!

BW & thanks Molteni
  • webboo
    Mines a Fylina not sure what model. Daughter bought it for me, she just looked at all the reviews within the price range she could afford. Works well and has few different heads, seems powerful enough. All though I think if you spend several hundred pounds on one you get more power. The charge last for ages as well.
    I’ve used it on my legs, arms and shoulders. I can just about reach to do my traps. I did a 150 mile ride in June and started to cramp up a couple of hours after I finished. I gave my quads a good pummelling with it to get them out of spasm. Next day they were fine.
  • webboo said:

Mines a Fylina not sure what model. Daughter bought it for me, she just looked at all the reviews within the price range she could afford. Works well and has few different heads, seems powerful enough. All though I think if you spend several hundred pounds on one you get more power. The charge last for ages as well.
    I’ve used it on my legs, arms and shoulders. I can just about reach to do my traps. I did a 150 mile ride in June and started to cramp up a couple of hours after I finished. I gave my quads a good pummelling with it to get them out of spasm. Next day they were fine.

Cheers Webboo for the help and info. That’s good to know. I’ve been feeling my leg muscles complain much more so have started to use a roller. I think the massage gun will work better on my shoulder and lower neck too and it will be good to mix it up on what I do with the legs too. I’ve watched a load of videos on how to use correctly and most efficiently. Don’t want to spend loads so thank you for the shout re the Fylina too! I’ll update when I order and get started!
    BW, Molteni
  • webboo
    I also got some info of UKBouldering a climbing site I frequent. Massage guns are pretty popular with climbers. So looking at the above might helpful, there’s a search facility on it.
  • Massage gun arrived from Wiggle ( the mini flow) v promptly on Monday. Used it that same evening and again earlier today. Early impressions very very positive. Really works into the muscles and left a v good sense of legs feeling ‘ refreshed’ for want of a better phrase! I’ve watched a few You Tube videos ( haven’t located the UK bouldering one yet. Easy to use. I’ll combine it with the roller and stretching too. Good on my tight neck muscles too.
    My quest for the ‘ elixir of eternal youth’ has certainly been helped!
    I’ll update again at some point if it helps others too.
    Cheers again webboo.
  • I bought a Theragun from Wiggle just over a week ago and have been using it in conjunction with a Trigger point roller, I am also impressed so far with the results. I was getting aches in my glutes whilst cycling which was a bit intermittent however after a week of using the Theragun/roller/stretching the aches have almost gone completely. B)