Ageing Woes

Since nobody ever really talks about the reality of ageing I will kick it off.

Healing time is a multiple of what it was being the main one.
Weird skin colour patches appearing.
Glutes fading is my most recent one.
On the plus side, less sleep seems to be required.

Usual caveat, everyone is different and we are all outliers assuming we are fit cyclists.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.
Veronese68 wrote:
PB is the most sensible person on here.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591
    I would say that my average speed has not dropped (yet) but the rest of your points are very much spot on.
    I have observed my older cycling friend's speed plummet after hitting 70.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I'm mid 30s now. I am definitely more grumpy and have far less patience for the general public. Feel more acutely aware of other people's selfish actions and the 'Yoof of today'.... I hate that I feel like that as there's never a truer saying than 'Remember, you were young once'

I don't know if it's just a general frustration because of the past 18 months, but everyone seems angry/passive aggressive and it's hard not to get sucked into that sometimes. It's started to get me down whenever I'm out on my bike and there's been a definite increase in aggressive drivers and everyones need to get where they're going in the quickest time possible.

Apperance wise... I started going grey in my late 20s and progressively I definitely have more 'salt' - perhaps stress related, who knows? In most photos I just look knackered and lots of crinkles around my eyes. Find it tougher to shift stubborn fat around my waistline and over the last year, I've felt less inclined to try and focus on shifting weight for cycling performance benefits. There's a correlation there with the state of the roads/drivers and having no motivation to venture out because of it.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

I'm mid 30s now. I am definitely more grumpy and have far less patience for the general public. Feel more acutely aware of other people's selfish actions and the 'Yoof of today'.... I hate that I feel like that as there's never a truer saying than 'Remember, you were young once'

I don't know if it's just a general frustration because of the past 18 months, but everyone seems angry/passive aggressive and it's hard not to get sucked into that sometimes. It's started to get me down whenever I'm out on my bike and there's been a definite increase in aggressive drivers and everyones need to get where they're going in the quickest time possible.

Apperance wise... I started going grey in my late 20s and progressively I definitely have more 'salt' - perhaps stress related, who knows? In most photos I just look knackered and lots of crinkles around my eyes. Find it tougher to shift stubborn fat around my waistline and over the last year, I've felt less inclined to try and focus on shifting weight for cycling performance benefits. There's a correlation there with the state of the roads/drivers and having no motivation to venture out because of it.

Mid 30’s! You poor sausage. Almost a millennial. Get out 👉🏻
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I was out rowing the other lunchtime. I met an old guy in a kayak, had a nice chat.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

Usual caveat, everyone is different and we are all outliers assuming we are fit cyclists.

The cracking joints. I can’t get out of a chair with out it sounding liking a gun shot.
  • seanoconn
    I’ve noticed the knocks take longer to shake off. When the missus throws me down the stairs or a I sprain my ankle playing footie with the kids. Used to be a fast healer, takes months these days.
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

pblakeney said:

The cracking joints. I can’t get out of a chair with out it sounding liking a gun shot.
    Noises coming from somewhere as you stand up, then realise it was yourself! 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Ye gads! Complaining about ageing at 30?
    You ain't seen nothing yet.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    edited August 2021
    Thinking that the old guy you can see in a shop window has really let himself go. Then realise you're looking at a reflection :(

Fortunately while Growing Old is mandatory (if you're lucky at least), Growing Up is entirely optional.
  • First.Aspect

I was out rowing the other lunchtime. I met an old guy in a kayak, had a nice chat.

My point is that you are old and slow for much, much longer than you aren't. It doesn't preclude enjoyment and, the older you get the less important it seems. And aches and pains become more of an inevitable engineering challenge.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I’ve become a proper hypochondriac since hitting 51 (I’m 52 now, 50 was fine). Every ache and pain is a cause for worry. And I hate myself for it. Grew up in a medical family so I should know better, and rationally I do, but I just can’t help myself.

Otherwise, what everyone else says. Knocks take a lot longer to get over, my lower back ache has been there for years (I reckon it’s wear and tear from being in a job where I’m on my feet pretty much constantly, bending over desks to help students). I’ve noticed that if I spend a day and a half doing nothing but sitting then I get a nasty upper back ache too. That’s new-ish and I’m not a fan. My migraines seem to be less frequent and less severe than they used to be (generally) though so that’s a good thing. Hair is now more grey than blonde/brown. I need to wear reading glasses when I use my contact lenses (and they’re the multi-focal type so that’s daft). Much more aware of the fact that if I get another 30 relatively healthy years then I’ll be lucky.

One thing I’ve found that helps is that every time I go for a decent ride (an hour or more) or a run, I have a protein recovery shake. That seems to be making a big difference to how I feel afterwards. My average speed has always been pants - 16mph is my realistic upper speed, 15 and a bit happens more often.

I guess we keep buggering on, don’t we?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,279
    seanoconn said:

I'm mid 30s now. I am definitely more grumpy and have far less patience for the general public. Feel more acutely aware of other people's selfish actions and the 'Yoof of today'.... I hate that I feel like that as there's never a truer saying than 'Remember, you were young once'

The oldest millennials are now 40
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Having to use the handrail to go down the stairs first thing in the morning and being unable to get out of a chair without a groan.

Definitely taking longer recover from anything whether it's exercise or a late night (with or without alcohol).

Any hair you lose from your head seemingly having to be replaced on your body.

If you do lose weight the skin no longer adapts.

You get call a boomer by Rick anytime you disagree with his narrow view of the world.
  • pangolin said:

seanoconn said:

I'm 39. Surely I'm not a millennial? I was born in 1982 ffs.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    53 so not sure if I qualify for the thread. I don't really notice having aged - well having to wear glasses to see rather than look cool on the bike - but apart from that. Of course they are there but it's such a gradual change it's hard to think if I was faster, responded better to training, recovered better etc 20 years ago.

I do suffer with a bad lower back /sciatica and slight tinnitus but I put them down to injury rather than age. I suppose accumulated injuries are part of aging though unless you are very lucky.

Appearance wise I look at photos of me at 18 and I realise that is really a different person and it doesn't really bother me I look much older - if I look at photos of me 15-20 years ago though and see the aging process I still consider myself in that phase of my life - having kids etc - so the aging since then does make me think a bit more.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney

pangolin said:

seanoconn said:

Millennials were born between 1981 and 1996. So, yes.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,156

pangolin said:

seanoconn said:

Hate to break it to you, but you are a Millennial:
    https://beresfordresearch.com/age-range-by-generation/

Look on the bright side, 2 years older and you would have been a legitimate target for hate crimes by Rick.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • FFS does this mean I'm pure snowflake etc.

TBF I hate these tags. People using Boomer as almost an insult makes me cringe.

Old age is definitely setting in now for myself. I define myself as being old from when the barber asked if I wanted my eyebrows cutting. I almost cried.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,228

FFS does this mean I'm pure snowflake etc.

Old age is definitely setting in now for myself. I define myself as being old from when the barber asked if I wanted my eyebrows cutting. I almost cried.

Lol the consider the fact you are still going to the barbers a luxury!

Last time I went to one was 22. No need anymore.
  • First.Aspect
    Fitness is less elastic. When I was injured 11 years ago I was off the bike and pretty much everything for around a year at least. I think it took another 18 months to get back anywhere near my previous fitness. 10 years earlier and it would have taken 6 months - I remember how quickly fitness could progress when I got serious about rowing for a couple of years.

Now I shudder to think how long it would take.

Also, I haven't lost much strength overall, but I have to use it right.

Essentially, as I age I identify more weak spots. Lower back, neck, ankle (now much older than I am) etc.

Personally I don't give too much of a shit about grey hair, my hearing (does anyone else think wind noise damages our hearing?) hairy ears or inelastic skin, as long as I can still go outside and play. I don't have to look at me while I'm doing it.

And odds are we are all starting to look way better than our peers who don't.
  • seanoconn

FFS does this mean I'm pure snowflake etc.

Lol the consider the fact you are still going to the barbers a luxury!

Last time I went to one was 22. No need anymore.
    21 here. Saved a fortune and thousands of hours that would have been wasted preening.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I tripped going up some steps a few years ago. Left wrist injury. Couldn’t change gear on my bike so it was an excuse to get Di2 (which actually really helped but went with my Trek when I sold it last week). Took nearly 18 months to stop hurting all of the time.

Slipped on ice in February, hurt my right wrist. That’s only just feeling better.

Sign of the times!
  • seanoconn

53 so not sure if I qualify for the thread. I don't really notice having aged - well having to wear glasses to see rather than look cool on the bike - but apart from that. Of course they are there but it's such a gradual change it's hard to think if I was faster, responded better to training, recovered better etc 20 years ago.

I do suffer with a bad lower back /sciatica and slight tinnitus but I put them down to injury rather than age. I suppose accumulated injuries are part of aging though unless you are very lucky.

Appearance wise I look at photos of me at 18 and I realise that is really a different person and it doesn't really bother me I look much older - if I look at photos of me 15-20 years ago though and see the aging process I still consider myself in that phase of my life - having kids etc - so the aging since then does make me think a bit more.

Fortunately I don’t need glasses to read 🤓 I could do with longer arms though.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited August 2021
    every single part of me hurts, all the time and i now limp everywhere.

i've also got less patient with 18-25 year olds who think the world owes them everything and who can't be bothered to make a single effort for anything.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Lots of the above rings true for me. Key ones.

Literally just switched to MTB from road as above. Learning a skill rather than just fighting diminishing ability.

Lower back bad and thinning hair.

However, a slight variation on a theme. Apart from 18 months of Covid disruption, going to gigs with my daughter has been a blessing. Just being part of a young vibrant crowd and hearing lots of new music has been immensely rewarding and reverses the years massively.

I have been to festivals where bands I have loved from my own teenage years bring nothing but formulaic shows and an audience of old farts.

The new music and energy of the young is revitalising. Not sure I can make it work with the daughter selfishly buggering off and living her own life.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    What would have been a partial one day hangover is a minmum 2 dayer....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    seanoconn said:

Fortunately I don’t need glasses to read 🤓 I could do with longer arms though.
    I've got a massive imbalance in my eyesight. I wore glasses as a kid but they eventually concluded my good eye would keep doing all the work so they were pointless. However, I've noticed recently that the vision in my good eye is becoming blurred increasingly often which is actually becoming a bit of a concern for me. With my right eye I could just about read part of the third line down on the chart but my vision has been fine in normal situations as the left eye could read the entire chart so if that eye really starts to fade I'm going to have quite severe eyesight problems.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Jeez. Nurse will be around with the meds trolley at 11.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • seanoconn
    morstar said:

Lots of the above rings true for me. Key ones.

Literally just switched to MTB from road as above. Learning a skill rather than just fighting diminishing ability.

Lower back bad and thinning hair.

However, a slight variation on a theme. Apart from 18 months of Covid disruption, going to gigs with my daughter has been a blessing. Just being part of a young vibrant crowd and hearing lots of new music has been immensely rewarding and reverses the years massively.

I have been to festivals where bands I have loved from my own teenage years bring nothing but formulaic shows and an audience of old farts.

The new music and energy of the young is revitalising. Not sure I can make it work with the daughter selfishly buggering off and living her own life.

The life force of the young is delicious. Consult the energy vampires handbook for tips and tricks. 👍