Vuelta 2021- Stage 11: Antequera > Valdepeñas de Jaén, 133.6km *SPOILERS*

mididoctors
mididoctors Posts: 16,645
Do your thing people
"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Comments

• mididoctors

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707
    Don't have time to contribute much today, but …..

The stage route

A hilly stage, 134 kms long and with 2250 m of climbing. The only categorised climb is the Puerto de Locubin, a cat 2 climb, its summit being 8 kms before the finish, 6 kms of which are downhill. But then the final 2 kms are extremely steep, more than 20% in places.

Favourites

A stage for a successful break?

3* Bardet, Mäder, Verona, Carr
    2* Bouchard, Poels, Carapaz, LL Sanchez, Matthews
    1* Craddock, Padun, Vanhoucke, Taaramae, Cort, Calmejane

I was going to include Aranburu, but this morning I heard he was a DNF yesterday – needed stitches to his knee after a crash.

Local food

Choto a la caldereta (stewed young goat)

Pipirrana (a chilled salad of tomato, green pepper, carrot and cucumber, with added mashed boiled eggs and seasoned with mint, olive oil and sherry vinegar)

Pollo a la Secretaria (which translates as 'bank clerk's chicken' – chicken and vegetable stew)

Rin Ran (potatoes cooked with red peppers till both soft enough to mash, to which are then added chopped olives and shallot, and cooked, filleted and crumbled cod, with a dash of olive oil. It is then served with chopped boiled egg on top)

Structure of the Day

The Alcazaba of Antequera, at the start town. This is a large rectangular fortified complex or fortress, with a couple of streets and gardens inside it, and two towers, one of which could act as a keep. It was built on the ruins of a Roman citadel by the Moors to protect themselves from Christian raids in the 14th century.

• mididoctors
    The bottom looks dam near 30 % stuff then really eases off .. position is going to count a hell of a lot .... Street view ?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,129
    2011, Purito winning up this climb.

https://youtu.be/gzPX46dGNvA
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    jimmyjams said:

century.

Wow. that is quite a sight.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Irn Bru and Philipsen are out
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Magnus Cort in the break. Surprised he didn't get a star or two above 😉

2 minutes, but Jumbo seem to be riding, even though Roglic is out of the red, must fancy the wall sprint
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Burgos caught between an irate DS wanting them to get someone in the break that's 1' 30" up the road and a peloton that want to be able to take it easy for a couple of hours and aren't impressed at the pace getting pushed back up after letting the break go. They should have just left one of the Burgos riders go off chasing potatoes.
  • mididoctors
    Break at 2 mins . It's looks really hot
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Cricket's going well so far...
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    Who's Manon Llyod commentating for? Keep seeing her pop up on the predictions part of the feed but never actually seem to hear from her.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Just saw David Moncoutié give his prediction on ES.... David is in my bad books at the moment. He took one of my (very) KOMs away a week ago. :(:p
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • jimmyjams

Could have made the same joke about Vanhoucke. Especially as yesterday he came in very last. :)
    He was in the two dozen strong group of sprinters, Pidcock, Kron and others.

My tips yesterday included 5 or 6 who were in the break, but in the end none of the half-a-dozen made yesterday's podium, so I don't think it will be any better today, with only this small-size break and only a little way up the road.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    JimD666 said:

Who's Manon Llyod commentating for? Keep seeing her pop up on the predictions part of the feed but never actually seem to hear from her.

No one sadly, though I did say in another thread I thought she should be given a chance - if she wants to of course.

She is one of the main GCN presenters, hence why she gets called upon for predictions now and then.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dabber said:

Just saw David Moncoutié give his prediction on ES.... David is in my bad books at the moment. He took one of my (very) KOMs away a week ago. :(:p

But at least we know he did it clean !
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924

dabber said:

But at least we know he did it clean !
    Lol... He must have made a lot of enemies the day he took mine as he cleaned up about 20 KOMs on his ride. But taking mine he was probably going up having a beer.... no artificial aids required.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • kingstongraham

2 minutes, but Jumbo seem to be riding, even though Roglic is out of the red, must fancy the wall sprint

It's absolutely made for him.
  • mididoctors
    I never had a kom
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

I never had a kom

Protip - make your own really specific segment...
  • mididoctors
    The red jersey hung on well ...
  • mididoctors
    edited August 2021

I never had a kom

Protip - make your own really specific segment...
    I suspect it's really getting hard to find one 😉
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Is today's stage worth watching - if so, from how far out?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    Typical Roglc finish. Don't know why Mas slowed to chat to him when he should have pushed on and seen if he could crack Roglic.
  • kingstongraham
    daniel_b said:

Is today's stage worth watching - if so, from how far out?

Last 10km was good. Don't know about the start.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249

Typical Roglc finish. Don't know why Mas slowed to chat to him when he should have pushed on and seen if he could crack Roglic.

It's Movistar, like a proxy team for Primoz. Want a tow or someone chased down? We'll do it.
  • jimmyjams

I wondered if they were discussing whether to let Cort stay ahead, although it might also have been that Mas said to Roglic 'Well you could say something about nearly pushing me into the barriers few seconds ago'.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    Has Dan Lloyd left his shoes at home today?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    in case anyone came here looking for the results

Rog
    Mas +3
    Superman +5
    Haig +7
    AYates +7
    Bardet +7
    Grossschartner +7
    Vlasov +7
    Bernal +11