Changing front forks on my 2008 FSR stumpy

I have a 2008 FRS Stumpy comp. Had it from new and although I love it to bits I would probably like a little more travel in the front and am wondering if anyone out there has successfully swapped over to a longer travel fork with this sort of xc bike as head tube angle is fairly steep. Not keen on shelling out a fortune for a new bike anyway when most of the time still fairly happy with this one but.

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I think you can take the spacer out of the fox float 120 forks and make them 140mm without spending anything.
  • Not something I have ever considered and not being tech savvy, would wonder why the spacer was there in the first place.
  • mully79
    Because the bike is designed to be 120mm. However, it makes sense for a suspension fork company to produce one fork and tweak travel with a spacer than to make many different forks with different parts.
  • Went and had a look online and watched some videos describing that very thing. Will need to have a look and see how many spacers are in there but my take was that the volume spacers (amount present) just varied the ease with which full travel could be achieved. GMBNtech post suggested to increase travel a new inner air tube/ lower leg service was the way to go but not sure whether this is possible with my old Fox Float 120 RL.
  • mully79
    Go here https://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/08/eng/2008_om_eng.htm
    click forks, 32mm, float, rl
    and at the bottom it has increase travel.
  • Many thanks, that is very useful.