La Vuelta 2021 - Stage 7: Gandia > Balcón de Alicante - 152 km **Spoilers**

Stage 7: Gandia > Balcón de Alicante - 152 km

20 - 8 - 2021
Start time: 12-30pm

Finally, after almost a week of racing, the first proper mountainous test of this Vuelta arrives. Stage 7 goes either up or down from start to finish. There are six categorised climbs squeezed into the stage’s 152 kilometres. This will be familiar territory for many, as team training camps take place in this region on the Costa Blanca. Gandía is as a tourist destination on the Mediterranean coast, halfway between Valencia and Alicante.

There are two first-category tests sandwiching the other four. The stage finishes at the steep Balcón de Alicante.

The climbing starts right from the off, the riders quickly reaching the Puerto de la Llacuna. It averages a modest 6.4 per cent, but that figure conceals the difficulty of its severe middle section.

The official stats list this new finish at being 8.4km long and averaging 6.2 per cent. On paper, not too severe a test. But the climb, which is a close neighbour to the precipitous Xorret de Catí ascent, also has real teeth in its final half, where the road narrows considerably and switches back and forth up the mountainside.

A huge battle for the breakaway is to be expected on the wildly irregular Puerto la Llacuna, as at stake there is not just the possible stage win, but a large number of mountain points for anyone targeting that jersey. The big question remains: breakaway day or GC clash? Much will depend upon how things stand after 6 days of racing, but I suspect the former.

Favourites 7th stage 2021 Vuelta a España
(Apologies for any non starters etc as I am now avoiding spoilers so I have no idea what’s happened in the race.)

*** Wout Poels, Giulio Ciccone, Gino Mäder, Guillame Martin
** Primoz Roglic, Richard Carapaz, Egan Bernal, Enric Mas
* Ion Izagirre, Mark Padun, Mauri Vansevenant, Matthew Holmes

Gandia

3 stages of La Vuelta
75.798 inhabitants
Gandia is one of Spain’s most important tourist destinations. Its cultural and gastronomic offer is vast, but its main tourist attractions are its phenomenal climate and its impressive beaches. Gandia features over 5 km of fine sandy coastlines and is able to accommodate around 15,000 people in order to host the thousands of tourists that visit each year to enjoy this tiny paradise right in the heart of the Mediterranean coast.

Gandía is the home of a delicious cuisine, in fact, this city is known very well in the surroundings and also internationally for having an outstanding gastronomy.

Kaki Ribera del Xúquer is the persimmon fruit grown in the Province of Valencia. This fruit was brought to Europe, and consequently to Spain, in the 19th century from China, where it had been cultivated since the 8th century. Persimmons grown in this region are larger in size and have a more pointed shape.
Kaki Ribera del Xúquer is deep red, soft and has a very sweet, caramel flavour.

Balcón de Alicante

Unprecedented Vuelta finale
1.622 inhabitants
Located near Tibi, the Balcón de Alicante is one of the many jewels hidden in the interior of the Community of Valencia. Although it will be making its La Vuelta debut in 2021, its proximity to Xorret de Catí, one of the race’s veteran mountain passes, will make the landscape easily-recognisable to fans.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Just seen that the final climb is closed to the public due to fire risk.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,442
    bm5 said:

Just seen that the final climb is closed to the public due to fire risk.

It will be a surprise if Kirby doesn't find numerous puns to do with lighting it up and being on fire then!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,531
    Probably the wrong thread to discuss this, but have you ever seen any substantial green veg in a Spanish dish?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,283

Probably the wrong thread to discuss this, but have you ever seen any substantial green veg in a Spanish dish?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I spent a couple of weeks in the Rioja region a few years ago and as a veggie I got served Asparagus and Artichokes rather a lot.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,207
    Looks like the whole race is being covered live today. Good Times.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709

Southern european cuisines generally makes less use of green veg than cuisines further north and east in Europe, so what you question about Spanish cooking can also be asked of other Med cooking. One can easily get the impression green veg is rare, but this is probably only a half-truth, because these cuisines often integrate a green veg into a dish rather than have it as a separate side veg dish, so one notices its presence less.

In spanish cooking I can think of the following green veg being fairly regularly used: green peppers, turnip tops, french beans, savoy cabbage, broad beans, peas, green asparagus, leeks, as well as green olives and salads made of iceberg lettuce and curly endive. And I'd guess courgettes and spinach are probably often used too.
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2021
    Carlton doesn't understand what peloton agrupado means.

Couldn't work out why teams with riders in the break would be trying to launch off the front. About a kilometre after that break had been caught.
  • kingstongraham
    Going to be a hard day if the break doesn't get away before the top of the first climb
  • Pross
    Really tough day ahead. Carthy seems seriously out of sorts, looked dangerously thin when interviewed a few days ago.
  • Pross
    Very small front group with 125km still remaining.
  • rick_chasey
    jimmyjams said:

Southern european cuisines generally makes less use of green veg than cuisines further north and east in Europe, so what you question about Spanish cooking can also be asked of other Med cooking. One can easily get the impression green veg is rare, but this is probably only a half-truth, because these cuisines often integrate a green veg into a dish rather than have it as a separate side veg dish, so one notices its presence less.

In spanish cooking I can think of the following green veg being fairly regularly used: green peppers, turnip tops, french beans, savoy cabbage, broad beans, peas, green asparagus, leeks, as well as green olives and salads made of iceberg lettuce and curly endive. And I'd guess courgettes and spinach are probably often used too.
    I say this as I've travelled a fair bit in Spain and beyond the fancy eateries (as in, more than €100 for two), the evening food mainly seems to consist of a big slab of grilled meat/fish with some kind of fried potato. Granted the meat/fish is always excellent, but after a week or so I feel like I'm short of nutrients!
  • Pross
    edited August 2021
    The TV coverage really is abysmal. Very occasional gaps given. The front group which seems to include most of the main players has about 50" over a smaller second group. Front group is a bit bigger than I'd initially though, maybe 50-60 riders, with riders trying to clip off the front. Ineos seem keep to get a man off the front with Kuss keen to see they don't.
  • Pross
    DSM have been incredibly active. Now have two in a four man break with about a 15" lead. Need to get back to work which is a shame as this looks like it could be a cracking stage.
  • Pross
    JV have lost a few riders already including Oomen and Gesink
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,557

jimmyjams said:

I say this as I've travelled a fair bit in Spain and beyond the fancy eateries (as in, more than €100 for two), the evening food mainly seems to consist of a big slab of grilled meat/fish with some kind of fried potato. Granted the meat/fish is always excellent, but after a week or so I feel like I'm short of nutrients!
    TBF it's not that different in the UK... minus the excellence.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2021
    Pross said:

The TV coverage really is abysmal. Very occasional gaps given. The front group which seems to include most of the main Ayers has about 50" over a smaller second group. Front group is a bit bigger than I'd initially though, maybe 50-60 riders, with riders trying to clip off the front. Ineos seem keep to get a man off the front with Kuss keen to see they don't.

It has been really bad. I feel like it's being directed by someone not versed in the language of road cycling TV.
  • Pross
    Disappointingly the teams in the Roglic group allowed JV to take control and slow things down so group 2 with some important JV riders have got back.
  • Pross
    Leaders have been given their head and now have nearly 1:30 with Kenny between at 40".
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552
    dish_dash said:

jimmyjams said:

Not sure that's true in London. The ability to buy a vast array of reasonably priced foods in one of the things I love about it.
  • Pross
    6 riders in the break now, 3 from DSM.
  • Pross
    This is relentless. Trenton refusing to let the peloton have any respite
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

Leaders have been given their head and now have nearly 1:30 with Kenny between at 40".

UAE not happy, so the break is down to under 1 minute. Kenny still somewhere in between but not for long, I assume.
  • rick_chasey
    Sporza currently showing the Grote Prijs Marcel Kint chipper and the coverage is 100% better than the Vuelta.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Sporza currently showing the Grote Prijs Marcel Kint chipper and the coverage is 100% better than the Vuelta.

Eurosport’s coverage was pretty good as well.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,557

dish_dash said:

jimmyjams said:

Not sure that's true in London. The ability to buy a vast array of reasonably priced foods in one of the things I love about it.
    Fair, though I consider London to be separate from the rest of the UK on most things including this.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715

jimmyjams said:

Don't try ordering a steak in Italy as you will get a steak. That's it, not even the potatoes. You are supposed to get the other things in other courses. In Milan anyway.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2021
    pblakeney said:

jimmyjams said:

Don't try ordering a steak in Italy as you will get a steak. That's it, not even the potatoes. You are supposed to get the other things in other courses. In Milan anyway.
    There's no need to get defensive. I understand Italian eating - I am a big fan.

In Spain it is often meat or fish on the menu and that's it. Or it's those arsing green peppers upthread which are normally drowning in oil and salt
  • kingstongraham
    Carthy abandons.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    Lumpy
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm