La Vuelta 2021 - Stage 5: it's really flat, who cares? **Spoilers**

mididoctors
mididoctors Posts: 16,646
edited August 2021 in Pro race
No thread yet ...
"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Comments

• mididoctors
    Poor vuelta . Deserves better coverage
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    edited August 2021
    Poor stage, deserves some hills. Poor Blazing, does his best for us providing stage threads and then we go to pieces while he's away

Edit: Blazing's late posted thread starter, for archive

Stage 5: Tarancón > Albacete, 184,4 km

18-08-2021
    Start time: 12-13pm

Here we go again, with the third road stage out of four so far, without a categorised climb: this one being possibly the flattest. Continuing the Vuelta’s southerly trajectory, this one covering 184.4km between Tarancón, which is another unprecedented start and Albacete, which last hosted a stage finish in 2014.

The route runs in southeasterly direction and moves through Belmonte – famous for its Castle – and the small industrial town of La Roda. No mountains, but long and straight and exposed roads through the sunbaked Spanish interior on the way to Albacete.

Albacete and La Vuelta share a long history. The race started and finished 21 times in the largest city of Castilla–La Mancha. The last time was in 2014, when Nacer Bouhanni outsprinted Michael Matthews and Peter Sagan. The final five kilometres into the finish are pan-flat, increasing the likelihood of a frenetic battle among the race’s sprinters.

However, (fingers crossed) the wind could once again be a factor. Echelons are frequently a feature of the racing in this region, and there will be no shortage of teams hoping to take advantage of the opportunity to split the race apart does arise. Early indications are that crosswinds are likely to effect these early stages.

Favourites 5th stage 2021 Vuelta a España

*** Fabio Jakobsen, Jasper Philipsen, Arnaud Démare
    ** Matteo Trentin, Michael Matthews, Alberto Dainese
    * Alex Aranburu, Sebastián Molano, Clément Venturini, Riccardo Minali, Jon Aberasturi, Juan José Lobato

Tarancón

Unprecedented departure
    15.271 inhabitants
    Tarancón is a municipality of Spain located in the province of Cuenca, Castilla–La Mancha. The repopulation presumably dates back to the late 12th to early 13th century. Throughout the rest of the middle ages, Tarancón was a hamlet belonging to the land of Uclés, a dominion of the Order of Santiago after 1174. Uclés was granted township status in 1537. It was granted the title of 'city' (ciudad) in 1921.

Albacete

21 stages of La Vuelta have had finales in Albacete.
    173.329 inhabitants
    Albacete’s Passage of Lodares, a commercial gallery that is a symbol of modernity in Castilla la Mancha’s most populated city, will soon celebrate 100 years since its creation.

However, during the 21 La Vuelta stage arrivals held in Albacete over the years, other avenues have witnessed the victories of sprinters from all generations, including Rik Van Steenbergen, Domingo Perurena, Sean Kelly, Erik Zabel and, more recently, Nacer Bouhanni in 2014.

Castilla la Mancha Gastronomy

Located almost in the centre of mainland Spain, Castilla la Mancha and its cuisine is a very appreciated discovery for the traveller. The cuisine of this region is comprised of a great variety of traditional, hearty yet simple dishes which are prepared using elementary ingredients such as bread, meat, vegetables and accompanied by a wide range of wine, sheep's cheese and desserts, transporting the diner back to the era of Don Quixote and his faithful Sancho.

Pisto Manchego

The classic Pisto of La Mancha (Spanish ratatouille) is beloved across Spain.

Manchego cheese, one of the better-known products of the region.

Manchego cuisine (Manchegan cuisine or Castilian-Manchego cuisine) refers to the typical dishes and ingredients in the cuisine of the Castilla–La Mancha region of Spain. These include pisto (a vegetable stew with tomato sauce), gazpacho manchego, Manchego (a type of cheese), the white wine of La Mancha, and the red wine from Valdepeñas (DO).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    I don't know how to post profiles and stuff ... Just came out broken if I linked
  • mididoctors
    edited August 2021

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

• mididoctors

• mididoctors
    That is sh1t ...doing this on a phone is no fun
  • mididoctors
    Cross winds ?
  • mididoctors

Poor stage, deserves some hills. Poor Blazing, does his best for us providing stage threads and then we go to pieces while he's away

It's embarrassing
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Might get some work done as there will be nothing worth watching till 16:00 or thereabouts...Unless this thread informs me otherwise.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    I'm not going to be any help. 7 minute gap for the break, 116km to go, flat road going on for ever, I can think of other things to do.
  • mididoctors

I'm not going to be any help. 7 minute gap for the break, 116km to go, flat road going on for ever, I can think of other things to do.

See you at 4,pm plus
  • mididoctors
    Break waving to the cameras is like the scene from Apollo 13 when they think they are broadcasting to the world but no one is watching .
  • mididoctors
    Only 72 k to go
  • 51k to go. Nothing to report.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    how many km to go now?
  • pblakeney
    16:15 - 21kms to go.
    Lone break has 1:41. Poor fellow.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    20km to go. One rider left from caja rural 90 seconds lead
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Possible KLAKON alert! DQS and FDJ and UAE starting to drill it
  • rick_chasey
    A lot of "washing machine" peloton movement, given how wide the road is.
  • rick_chasey
    Huge crash at 11.6km to go.
  • rick_chasey
    Quite far up near the front, a lot of riders down. Taarame, Kruiswijk and dozens of others.
  • pblakeney
    Crash!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    11.4 kms to go. Panic.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2021
    Nieve in a bad way. Bardet too
  • rick_chasey
    Remaining peloton who avoided the crash are pushing on.
  • rick_chasey
    OK now they're waiting.
  • mididoctors
    Big crash
  • rick_chasey
    Little titbit, do note that the shorts of DSM rarely tear due to some technology to help reduce road rash.
  • mididoctors
    Gentlemen