Mavic Ksyrium UST with tyres and tubes - any feedback?

Hi all,
I'm thinking of moving from tubeless tyres on Ksyrium UST to tubes and tyres.
I have some Continental Ultra Sports in the spares bin and was going to fit them with tubes but I'm led to believe that tubed tyres can be a bit of a pain on tubeless rims.
Does anyone have any feedback on how easy these are to fit up, and will they be a PITA if I puncture roadside?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Cheers,
D

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,617
    Why would tubed tyres be an issue on tubeless rims?
  • Good question - I'm led to believe that the tyre fitment can be a faff, and can be really tight, and that it can also be extremely difficult to get tubes into them without nipping them.
  • First.Aspect
    I've found it any different.
  • I am one of those have found them to be a PITA. Used mavic, Vittoria corsa, Rubino, conti gp 4000 and a couple of other tires. All of them have been extremely difficult to fit. The best solution I have found it to mount the tyre and then remove and remount 2-3 times over a few weeks to stretch the tire out. I don't use levers now as I pinched various tubes. Once came across a guy with a set who had punctured, he had been stranded down a country lane for a good while unable to get the tire on. I managed to roll the tire back on for him, he would have been in a spot of bother otherwise.

Others will have different experiences of course but it can be a headache.

• I am one of those have found them to be a PITA. Used mavic, Vittoria corsa, Rubino, conti gp 4000 and a couple of other tires. All of them have been extremely difficult to fit. The best solution I have found it to mount the tyre and then remove and remount 2-3 times over a few weeks to stretch the tire out. I don't use levers now as I pinched various tubes. Once came across a guy with a set who had punctured, he had been stranded down a country lane for a good while unable to get the tire on. I managed to roll the tire back on for him, he would have been in a spot of bother otherwise.

Others will have different experiences of course but it can be a headache.

Thanks for this MG2. That is what I feared - I'm just a bit miffed having fitted a new Hutchinson and had a thorn (from hedge cutting) through the side wall only for it to eventually seal, but rode it home on ~30 psi. I couldn't actually get a plug into it at the side of the road.
    Previously I've gone through the original Mavic tyres and a set of Hutchinson, so onto the third set of tyres on these wheels.
    I've put 80 psi back into it and it's holding but the area where it is sealed looks as if it is about to burst again. I'm nervous that this will go again, and, once a tyre gets a nick like this, I have very little confidence in them.
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    edited August 2021

Hi FA, not sure what this means?
    Should this read "I've not found it any different" or "I've found it very different"? If you have experience of tubeless wheels with tubes and tyres I'd like to know what your findings were, or any experience you might have had?

Cheers,
    D
  • First.Aspect

Should this read "I've not found it any different" or "I've found it very different"? If you have experience of tubeless wheels with tubes and tyres I'd like to know what your findings were, or any experience you might have had?

Cheers,
    D
    Not, sorry.

I've used the rims with an internal lip, which needs a fairly high pressure before the bead pings over the lip, but that's the greatest inconvenience as compared to regular clincher wheels.

Tubless rims aren't any bigger, they just comply to tighter tolerances, as do the tyres.

So yes you can get a regular clincher that sizes up small and that's a pita to fit. But that was always the case.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

Cheers,
    D
    Not, sorry.

I've used the rims with an internal lip, which needs a fairly high pressure before the bead pings over the lip, but that's the greatest inconvenience as compared to regular clincher wheels.

Tubless rims aren't any bigger, they just comply to tighter tolerances, as do the tyres.

So yes you can get a regular clincher that sizes up small and that's a pita to fit. But that was always the case.
    Might depend on the brand of tubeless rim?

I had some Mavic Kysrium UST (as per the OP) - it was totally impossible to fit a set of Conti 4 seasons to them - never a problem I've had on any other rim / tyre combo.

Sure I read Mavic had pretty much made them optimised for tubeless and if normal clinchers fitted that was a bonus.

Each to their own I guess but I never found the benefits of tubeless outweighed the mess and faff.
  • First.Aspect

Cheers,
    D
    Not, sorry.

Might depend on the brand of tubeless rim?

I had some Mavic Kysrium UST (as per the OP) - it was totally impossible to fit a set of Conti 4 seasons to them - never a problem I've had on any other rim / tyre combo.

Sure I read Mavic had pretty much made them optimised for tubeless and if normal clinchers fitted that was a bonus.

Each to their own I guess but I never found the benefits of tubeless outweighed the mess and faff.
    I can only go by experience, but difficult to fit clinchers is a problem that's as old as clinchers.

On forums like this you will see a lot of people hypothesising that various combinations are particularly bad, based on a single datum.

What you don't see is anyone trying 10 sets of wheels X, with ten sets of tyres Y. If both have a manufacturing tolerance of +/- n mm, some are going to be tight, some aren't.

Also, a lot of people just don't know how to mount a tyre correctly. If using a tubeless rim with an internal ridge, how many people put both beads into the central trough to fit them, and how many struggle with the bead against the brake track or over that ridge? Again, this is more or less no different from normal clincher rims really.

• Each to their own I guess but I never found the benefits of tubeless outweighed the mess and faff.

Yep, coming to this conclusion now myself - with that said does anyone have any recommendations for easier fitting tubed tyre for use with Mavic Ksyrium UST wheels?
    Cheers,
    D
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 416
    edited August 2021
    I mounted GP 5000 TL on Mavics last week ,needed all 3 birzman tubeless levers but got them on without too much hassle.
  • If you get the bead in the well in the opposite side they will roll on. Perhaps a little soap to smooth the way. Or spit if your northern. ;)
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    One of my ‘hacks’ is on Ksyrium tubeless ready, with tubes ( because the tubeless tyres supplied with them were shite). They work fine with tubes in them. Tyre choice is critical to whether or not they work as tubeless. I tried Conti GP5000TL, and initially gave up, as they were really difficult ( nigh on impossible) to get over the rims. However, with a hair dryer, some chamois cream, and one of those crab claw tyre tools, I did get them on eventually. Unfortunately, mostly due to the sort of conditions that bike is used in ( very crap, usually wet, normally mostly dark ) the contis were pretty much ripped to shreds in short order, so I went back to using tubes, and cheaper standard clinchers, on that bike.
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229

Yep, coming to this conclusion now myself - with that said does anyone have any recommendations for easier fitting tubed tyre for use with Mavic Ksyrium UST wheels?
    Cheers,
    D
    I use standard Vittoria Corsa clinchers, with tubes, they are a piece of wee wee to get on, and I’ve found them to be pretty resilient.