La Vuelta 2021 - Stage 4: El Burgo de Osma > Molina de Aragón - 163,9 km **Spoilers**

Stage 4: El Burgo de Osma > Molina de Aragón - 163,9 km

17-08-2021
Start time: 12-47pm

The 4th stage of la Vuelta travels on gently undulating terrain, but without a categorised climb in sight. It takes the race south-east from the start in El Burgo de Osmo to the finish town of Molina de Aragón, which is overlooked by a magnificent castle that was first established by the Moors in the 10th century and by the Torre de Aragón fortress, which stands on the crest of the same hill.

Although the profile is more undulating than the second stage, this is once again surprisingly flat terrain for the Vuelta. As on day two, the most likely difficulty on what are very open roads is the wind, which often barrels across Spain’s central plateau. If not, it's another long siesta before the bunch sprint.

As the breakaway will have plenty of opportunities later in the race and this being a stage ripe for the fast men, expect a small, low quality group to be controlled by the sprinter teams. However, the final kilometre is uphill all of the way to the line, the gradient around 7 per cent.

Expect this one to be contested by the punchier sprinters who use gradient to combat their slight deficiency in top end speed.

Favourites 4th stage 2021 Vuelta a España

*** Matteo Trentin, Michael Matthews, Jasper Philipsen, Arnaud Démare
** Fabio Jakobsen, Alex Aranburu, Clément Venturini, Sebastián Molano,
* Alberto Dainese, Riccardo Minali, Martin Laas, Jon Aberasturi, Juan José Lobato

El Burgo de Osma

Unprecedented departure
4.940 inhabitants.
Yup, it's all about another one: The ‘Vuelta of the Cathedrals’ would not be such without a stop in the Soria locality of El Burgo de Osma. Declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1931, the Cathedral of Santa María de la Asunción’s Gothic structure stands over the municipality since 1232. In 1234, another regular in this edition of the Spanish tour, namely Santo Domingo de Guzmán, was canonised.

Molina de Aragón

Unprecedented Vuelta finale
3.275 inhabitants.
The Castle of Molina de Aragón (also called alcázar or alcazaba) is a fortification in Molina de Aragón, Castile-La Mancha, Spain. It was declared Bien de Interés Cultural in 1931.

It is located on a hill commanding the surrounding valley, and is formed by an external line of walls with four gates and numerous towers, which defends the internal fortress. The latter has six towers, of which four are currently in good conditions. Originally, the line of towers included a village. It originated as a Moorish fortress (10th-11th century), built over a pre-existing Celtiberian castle. The fortress was used as residence of the lords of the taifa of Molina. El Cid resided here when he was exiled from Castile. In 1129 it was conquered from the Moors by Alfonso I of Aragon, who gave it the Lara family.

Longaniza

Spain has a long and proud sausage-making tradition, and the local specialty in Aragón is called longaniza. It’s like most other Spanish embutidos in that it’s a long, slender tube filled of pork meat and various herbs and spices—all except pimentón, Spanish smoked paprika. Longaniza tastes great grilled, fried, or served on top of a bowl of migas.

Trucha

The mighty Ebro River passes through Zaragoza, and its many tributaries flow down from northern Huesca and southern Teruel. It’s no surprise, then, that trout caught from the region’s rivers is a typical dish in Aragón, whether pan-fried with lemon juice or cooked and stuffed with peppers and bacon.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Saddest looking trout I've ever seen.
    May be tasty though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • That sausage :) !!! amazing looking lunch
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Don't know what the castle has seen.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243

The quality of the coverage...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538

The quality of the coverage...
    And the commentary of ck.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    CK. Is killing me too ..bring back itv4
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    Canal, Bou and Madrazo are today's sacrifice.
  • kingstongraham
    Saw "Intermarché - Wanty - Gobert Matériaux pulling in peloton" and thought they were upset at missing the break before I remembered they have the leader of the whole race.
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    edited August 2021
    Anyone got coverage on Eurosport player? I still have the breakaway at nearly 2pm.... Ignore me... its just started.
  • kingstongraham
    Is something happening?
  • kingstongraham
    No.

Wanty just not that used to this, so going a tiny bit hard on the front and causing a gap that then got closed.
  • CK digging into his big bag of 'didn't happen' stories to keep the stream of nonsense going
  • kingstongraham
    That the one about taking a bag of salt on holiday to Italy?

There truly is nothing to talk about today.
  • That, and a boulder landing on top of a mini on Winnats Pass are the ones that immediately spring to mind
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    I'm normally an ITV4 viewer so got my first taste of CK on last night's highlights on Quest. Jeepers creepers :o
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    I find hearing Kirby advertising GCN so as not to lose a minute of coverage.somewhat counterproductive. With Kirby on the mic I find the adverts quite a pleasant rest from him.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • kingstongraham
    Jakobsen

I think Kirby must be commentating from his phone screen or something.
  • mididoctors
    Demare went too early ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham

Demare went too early ?

Yes, I think he thought he had to go to catch the Alpecin rider who had gone off ahead. But he didn't.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    r0bh said:

I'm normally an ITV4 viewer so got my first taste of CK on last night's highlights on Quest. Jeepers creepers :o

Between the Spanish camera work and the Quest editing, has made me lose all interest in this race.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583

Is Kirby writing this stuff now??
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    mrb123 said:

Is Kirby writing this stuff now??

Ha I think Pog was down to ride it once upon a time
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Half of me would expect it to say who the winner is so that's an improvement frankly...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    The most interesting thing about the coverage on Quest is wondering "what is the thing that looks like a tea urn hovering behind Orla's head?"
  • mididoctors
    Is covid restrictions stopping the normal camera Moto guys traveling around Europe ?