Tour of Britain "it doesn't come past my house" thread

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

Day 2 goes past the front door of the house I grew up in.
    A lot of familiar roads on Dartmoor that I'm very used to cycling on, will be nice to see how much the pros destroy my times up the climbs.

I'm there just now. They are resurfacing all the roads with that awful tar and gravel treatment.
    Devon council are too tight to do anything apart from surface dress the roads, definitely one downside to riding round there.
    Perhaps this is one reason why the route across Dartmoor is sticking to the main roads and hence missing some of the more interesting climbs. Prior to that I see it uses the roads built to handle the lorries from the china clay mines.
    It is more about the capacity of the road to cope with the team cars etc, I think. The chips are pretty well embedded around Princetown now and if we have another hot spell it should be pretty slick. Lots of people carriers and SUVs will bed it in for the next 6 weeks.

If it is windy the Yelverton-Mortonhampstead stretch could lead to a selection. Will look great on TV.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I went to Aberaeron last week. Unless I missed a big chunk of it I’m surprised it could host a stage start? Seemed a pretty sparse place.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Cheshire route now confirmed.. bit lumpy to start and then they predicting a sprint finish
    https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage-five/
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Cav confirmed riding.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • It is going to be about 8 miles from my house in the Borders, does that count?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163

larkim said:

Pross said:

larkim said:

Would be nice to have something a little more specific than "Cheshire" as the starting point of stage 5. It's a pretty big place...

Looking at the detailed route on the website link it finishes in Warrington but the full route isn't published yet (it only shows the final 25km).
    Yep, could either be a long flat ride through the Cheshire plain up to Knutsford for the final 25km into Warrington, or they could ride some of the lumpier stuff around the sandstone ridge in the West or Peak District in the East. Who knows! Quite surprised at this stage they've not even got a starting town identified / confirmed though. Wonder if the Councils are being a touch on the cautious side at the moment (chimes with how they've approached other stuff locally, tbh, with many of Cheshire's parkruns not being approved until relatively late in the process).
    There was talk earlier I. The year that it may start in Congleton again this year. Not heard anything subsequently but it’d be great if it does. The crowds last time around the course when it did start there were massive all day
    Starts at Alderley Park. AC loop taking in the edge of the Peak then West to Warrington

• Cheshire route now confirmed.. bit lumpy to start and then they predicting a sprint finish

I used to live next door to Siddington post office back in the late 70s as a nipper, so I guess I qualify for this thread.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Siddington Loop is a flat/winter ride staple for us.

Looks like it's descending Brickworks if I read that right. The main road climb up to it isn't that hard really.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    van Aert riding it too.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

van Aert wiining it too.

ftfy - hope that's ok.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Am a bit annoyed now it doesn't come past my house - WvA ffs!
  • Think I'm gonna head through to Dalkeith with some mates and a great big bag of cans.
  • First.Aspect

Think I'm gonna head through to Dalkeith with some mates and a great big bag of cans.

I'd have thought the run through Lasswade would be a good place to watch, as the climb out of the valley.
  • First.Aspect

Think I'm gonna head through to Dalkeith with some mates and a great big bag of cans.

I'd have thought the run through Lasswade would be a good place to watch, as the climb out of the valley.
    Personally I might pop over the Granites and find a view in a field looking over the Heriot turn. Should be quite spectacular if the weather is good.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    There is a turn in Ivybridge where they are going to have to slow right down. I'm thinking of heading there. Right outside Grandpah raver's favourite pub so that'll be good too
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163

Siddington Loop is a flat/winter ride staple for us.

Looks like it's descending Brickworks if I read that right. The main road climb up to it isn't that hard really.

Yeah, up from Bosley cross roads, then up WIldboarclough and right at the top to Peak View tea rooms, down the Cat, up through Rainow, down Brickworks
  • Think I'm gonna head through to Dalkeith with some mates and a great big bag of cans.

A good shout!

if the weather is good.
    Come on now!

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Having lived in Edinburgh S. I'd avoid Dalkeith like the plague. If the peloton stop there for a nature break they'll have their wheels nicked... 😉
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'm thinking of popping down the M4 for a peek at the TTT. Even more interested now the second coming of Kelly is riding it.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Am a bit annoyed now it doesn't come past my house - WvA ffs!

Probably a good thing, he may have put down so much power your house would have got subsidence.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    And so it begins...

Cornwall Council guys out putting up the "Temporary Clearway" signs.
    One or two of the local "characters" giving them all sorts of verbals :(
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817

Personally I might pop over the Granites and find a view in a field looking over the Heriot turn. Should be quite spectacular if the weather is good.
    They are going north up over Piper’s (north of Innerleithen) then East through Heriot before back south again on the A7 to Stow then heading across to Lauder - Stow hill would be a good one to see them summit. Narrow and pretty steep, even the pros should find that quite tough.
    The road up from the Laird and Dog at Lasswade is a crappy surface and not much more than a slight drag for them. Might be nice to see them whiz down across the bridge there.
  • First.Aspect
    andyrr said:

They are going north up over Piper’s (north of Innerleithen) then East through Heriot before back south again on the A7 to Stow then heading across to Lauder - Stow hill would be a good one to see them summit. Narrow and pretty steep, even the pros should find that quite tough.
    The road up from the Laird and Dog at Lasswade is a crappy surface and not much more than a slight drag for them. Might be nice to see them whiz down across the bridge there.
    That's my commute.
  • That is at least 3 people on here in the Borders then!
  • First.Aspect

That is at least 3 people on here in the Borders then!

Midlothian. I commute - or used to - through Lasswade.

Granites and Heriot is a frequent lunchtime ride.

Stow hill won't be a selection. They are going up the easier side. About 300 m of 12% then it eases off. Also likely to be a tailwind.

The climb out of Whiteadder Reservoir is interesting though. Stiff headwind normally, then a pretty technical descent.

Do you think they will stop at the Lantern Rouge in Gifford for a bacon roll?
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Had planned to see the Cairn O Mount (Aberdeen stage) climb, but dates have all gone wrong for me. Frustratingly will be there the day before but not on the day!!!! They’re going up the cairn, but also up the Queens View. What a spot for some lovely cycle race photos. Just read the official schedule of that stage and love the ‘caution’ comments. Sharp turn, fast descent, Narrow bridge….. Sheep!
  • I'm nearer Gala so don't know the Lantern Rouge, is it good?
  • First.Aspect
    edited August 2021

I'm nearer Gala so don't know the Lantern Rouge, is it good?

Nice atmosphere. Tiny place, good cakes, decent coffee.

Cash only last time I was there, that's the only snag. There's a cashpoint in the coop next door.

Gifford would be a good turn around point for a loop from Gala.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    I also see that they're doing Ford then Edgehead - road at the top of Ford to the junction is really crappy surface, would be lovely if the council resurfaced it but I'll not hold my breath for that happening.
    If the weather is decent I think Stow might be a good place to watch, I wonder if a break coudl be away that day and as there is still over 100kms left they might still be in front. Stow is a Cat 3, the Rig at Km 146 is a Cat 2 so that is an alternative although too far out maybe for an attack from the bunch to go?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Cornish Tourist Board asking people to stay away from Cornwall due to the Covid spikes, so that’s looking good for the start.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner