monday on the last helicopter out of saigon

'ning

lazy ride, cafes, basking
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, overcast cooler in that northerly wind, cutting hedges this morning, hopefully cycling later
    Have a good day
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,858
    Hounds walked, now prep for Board call followed by holiday prep as today is my Friday
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    ciao

houseguests leave today, so normal chaos to ensue.

late-ish one last night so tired eyes, dentist appt for bambino, guitar lesson for bambina..... you know the score.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,406
    Morning,

Tired due to a late trip to the vets last night as younger hounds paw started bleeding. They've bandaged it up but need to take him in today to see what's causing it - possibly something lodged in the paw. He's feeling a bit sorry for himself just now.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Cricket lovely cricket. Day at Lords hopeful of an England win.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Yeah, going to listen to TMS whilst I work.

On the "Saigon" front, its weird how much event in Afghanistan is troubling me. I can't stop thinking about it and what it means for the Afghan people.

The whole episode has been a shit show.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,515
    elbowloh said:

On the "Saigon" front, its weird how much event in Afghanistan is troubling me. I can't stop thinking about it and what it means for the Afghan people.

The whole episode has been a censored show.
    yep

corrupt and factional groups allowed to pretend to govern under the protection of usa/uk/allies

capped with the ridiculous pretence of negotiating a deal with the taliban - deals with religious extremists are impossible

outcome as expected: misery and oppression
  • Stevo_666
    But looking on the bright side, it's probably the end of beards being trendy in the UK.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    lazy ride not as lazy as intended

no more morning dew today, it was already 30+ before 8 with the sun not yet over the volcano, no scenic fog, only the faint billowing of dust from the calima, so no misty mountain hop pics

had a splendid strawberry tart at the cafe while a local pussycat came for a catnap in the shade

wondering how much sahara i've inhaled in the last couple of days
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,667
    Stevo_666 said:

But looking on the bright side, it's probably the end of beards being trendy in the UK.

Can we combine beards with 'hipster' e-scooters? Example as I came back from yesterday's ride along the last section of cycleway - 30 something bloke, bearded, those big old school look headphones, bimbling along on a battery scooter. Take a hard look at yourself, you're not 9 years old.

Waiting for vehicle glass replacement chap/ess to show up.

Anyone else, apart from those lucky lucky barstewards on hols in furrin, enjoying the leaden August skies?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,312
    sungod said:

wondering how much sahara i've inhaled in the last couple of days

If you were a root vegetable, the minerals would be conducive.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    There will be no testing of the Atomic theory of the bicycle today given the kink in the jet stream. Although, if I fall over when I stop moving, it may be conclusive.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    sungod said:

elbowloh said:

The whole episode has been a censored show.
    yep

corrupt and factional groups allowed to pretend to govern under the protection of usa/uk/allies

capped with the ridiculous pretence of negotiating a deal with the taliban - deals with religious extremists are impossible

outcome as expected: misery and oppression
    you can guess the sentiments re this floating around these parts....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2021
    orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

Can we combine beards with 'hipster' e-scooters? Example as I came back from yesterday's ride along the last section of cycleway - 30 something bloke, bearded, those big old school look headphones, bimbling along on a battery scooter. Take a hard look at yourself, you're not 9 years old.

Waiting for vehicle glass replacement chap/ess to show up.

Anyone else, apart from those lucky lucky barstewards on hols in furrin, enjoying the leaden August skies?
    We certainly can. Flocks of them up in London, you're almost willing them to hit a pothole and faceplant.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,001
    Had a hair cut, not much more to report. Running later.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Afternoon folks,
    A day of wfw preceded with a slow wobble in, felt like particularly hard work. The speed of cyclists going the other way confirmed my suspicion of a headwind. Not in the slightest bit scorchio out there, bit fresh if anything. Walking to the old dear's on Saturday I saw a group of Chinese tourists, could have been Korean, at the bottom of the hill in Richmond Park. Most of them with hire bikes and one on a hired electric scooter. Looked like electric scooter type had taken a tumble. To be perfectly honest trying to ride something with tiny wheels down a steep gravel path is just asking for trouble. Ridiculous contraptions, especially off road.
  • got back from the hols yesterday and WFH today.
    It's easy to blame TRump and Biden, but The Afghans have had 20 yrs to prepare for the fight and ran away on day one; despite the $80Bn spent on training and kit.
    Did anyone expect troops to stay forever?
  • sungod
    edited August 2021
    there's a long and bloody history that was ignored

the country has been screwed at least since the 70s, it's a tribal society where what counted for national structures were destroyed by corruption/greed and heaps of outside interference

every intervention has made things worse, compounded by the decades long actions of pakistan (against usa/uk/allies interests, yet it doesn't get sanctioned, i wonder why)

bush/blair, on a pretext that never made military sense, decided to repeat the russian's mistake

an afghan military only works if there's an effective afghan government, the pretend government legged it, without that there's nothing to fight for

it's a civil war and the leadership of one side just flew off to luxury exile, leaving the keys under the mat for the taliban, why would the poor sods at the sharp end carry on?

we should never have invaded

stay forever? no

but walking out this way without protecting those who trusted us is a betrayal
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    Yeah, how many lives lost over 20 years on all sides and it's almost back to where it was before.

Anyway, survived the wobble to and from work for the first time in 18 months. We'll see how the knees are feeling tomorrow.
    Flintshire council have built another shared cycleway alongside the main road. Just like the one on the other side you have to stop and give way at every side road/driveway.
    Unlike the one on the other side, the new tarmac is all rippled and bumpier than riding along the carriageway. Suppose it's ok if you're commuting on one if those eMTB contraptions, catering for the masses and all that.
  • pinno

...but The Afghans have had 20 yrs to prepare for the fight...

...and we have had a long time to prepares the evacuation of loyal Afghans/translators etc but we've even fcuked that up too.