PTP 2021

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Well you and FCE2007 certainly have original picks. Quite noticeable and chapeau. Having a multiplier for non traditional picks may bring more action, but there wouldn't really be a way to do it without massive, unreasonable effort I think.
    If you're in it with a chance of winning PTP, you pretty much need to constantly play it safe and boring. Seems that way to me at least.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    m.r.m. said:

Well you and FCE2007 certainly have original picks. Quite noticeable and chapeau. Having a multiplier for non traditional picks may bring more action, but there wouldn't really be a way to do it without massive, unreasonable effort I think.
    If you're in it with a chance of winning PTP, you pretty much need to constantly play it safe and boring. Seems that way to me at least.

Rozzer32 wins regularly because he has the iron discipline to be utterly boring.
    During the Tour I do the Combativity Award which rewards rare picks, and I think that could be transferred over.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    How about we get a trophy. Here's a suggestion. We would call it the The Andy Dunn Cup - Andy Dunn is the real name of afx237vi who started the whole thing. He's sadly presumed dead now as he had major health issues.

This is an example of the possibilties

https://www.trophiesplusmedals.co.uk/gold-large-cone-cycling-trophy-cup-on-a-black-base-572a-269 £11.99

Or https://www.trophiesplusmedals.co.uk/sprocket-3d-cycling-trophy £10.99 small, £17.99 large

Surely BikeRadar could spare the cash

• m.r.m.
    edited August 2021
    I like the idea. I suggested a while ago we talk to Rapha Custom about getting a WC jersey done with an armchair outline within the rainbow bands like how the former WC jerseys used to be for mountain bike or track cycling. Would be a neat prize to ride in. 😆
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

Rozzer32 wins regularly because he has the iron discipline to be utterly boring.
    During the Tour I do the Combativity Award which rewards rare picks, and I think that could be transferred over.
    My picks are usually pretty boring as well but my issue is I miss quite a few stages - like Sunday, as I was busy riding in Yorkshire and forgot all about it. Especially annoying when it's an obvious sprint or GC day where the pick is usually a bit easier!

It's only if I am in a rush (like I am just going out on the bike etc., or I have forgotten entirely and it's 11.58) that I'll only look at other picks.

If it's a normal working day I'll check a couple of betting websites and INRNG and pick from there. Quite often the odds can be a bit implausible, either because there's too much money on certain riders (if the race is more popular) or occasionally it looks like they haven't really looked at the stage in much detail. The odds often drop off very quickly so you can get good returns E/W on picking consistent finishers.

• m.r.m.
    Yeah missing stages is tough. I pick stages in advance in order to just get a pick in when I know I'll be busy. Atm we just moved house and I don't have internet outside of my phone and my GCN+ expired so I'm not watching any of the races which makes picking harder as well, since you can't judge the form of riders without seeing them actually ride.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    I would say PTP is won and lost on those unpredictable GT transition stages (as well as making sure you do every race).
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Updates after the Vuelta and the Benelux Tour

Results

It's proving to be a high scoring year and it is still pretty tight at the top. There are still up to 350 points up for grabs with four more rounds to go. Plenty to play for...

Top 10
    twotoebenny 1277
    m.r.m. 1241
    archieboy 1215
    Dorset_Boy 1194
    bobmcstuff 1188
    rozzer32 1126
    ducknumber1 1103
    Pross 1097
    singleton 1090
    TheBigBean 1089
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,058
    I’m offline for the weekend ahead. Could I pick a Swiss McDouble for the WC ITTs:

WC ME ITT: Stefan KUNG
    WC WE ITT: Marlen RUESSER

Thanks!
  • dish_dash
    Into the final weekend we go. The results after the World Champs and Paris-Roubaix

No big changes in the top 10 though the overall is still within touching distance for twotoebenny, m.r.m., and Dorset_Boy.

Onto Il Lombardia and Paris Tours this weekend

Top 10
    twotoebenny 1397
    m.r.m. 1366
    Dorset_Boy 1314
    archieboy 1290
    bobmcstuff 1288
    rozzer32 1246
    Pross 1232
    ducknumber1 1203
    singleton 1200
    TheBigBean 1149
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    dish_dash said:

Into the final weekend we go. The results after the World Champs and Paris-Roubaix

No big changes in the top 10 though the overall is still within touching distance for twotoebenny, m.r.m., and Dorset_Boy.

Onto Il Lombardia and Paris Tours this weekend

Top 10
    twotoebenny 1397
    m.r.m. 1366
    Dorset_Boy 1314
    archieboy 1290
    bobmcstuff 1288
    rozzer32 1246
    Pross 1232
    ducknumber1 1203
    singleton 1200
    TheBigBean 1149

I think my only chance is twotoebenny and m.r.m to lose access to the internet this week! Roglic winning the Vuelta did for me I think.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    I think I will be 10th irrespective of Lombardy. Another year finishing ahead of @dish_dash which is always pleasing.
  • dish_dash
    And so it ends... a late surge from Dorset_Boy to overtake m.r.m. but not quite enough to beat twotoebenny! Only 31 points between those three.

Congratulations @twotoebenny - the 2021 PTP Champion!
    And the highest scoring player since I started coordinating in 2016.

Full Results here

Top 10
    twotoebenny 1427
    Dorset_Boy 1399
    m.r.m. 1396
    archieboy 1320
    bobmcstuff 1288
    rozzer32 1281
    Pross 1267
    ducknumber1 1233
    singleton 1230
    TheBigBean 1179

Thank you all for playing - there were 42 of us (down from 52 last year)

And a special thank you to our scorers @RichN95. @twotoebenny @ducknumber1 @red.rider @gregster04 @bobmcstuff It couldn't happen without you

I'm going to go back to enjoying my holiday. Will be back in February. Drop me a line if you want to help, or propose changes, in the new year!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    Congratulations twotoebenny!

Massive thanks to Dish_Dash and all the scorers.
  • red.rider
    Congratulations twotoebenny! Great stamina across a long season.

Thanks dish_dash for organising. See you on 26.02 for Omloop 2022
  • m.r.m.
    Congrats twotoebenny!

Huge thanks dish_dash and to everyone else scoring and creating the daily race threads!
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    Thanks guys, very close at the end up...

Special thanks to Dish for organising - think it always adds to the excitement when watching the races
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Congratulations twotoebenny!
    Big thanks to Dish for organising and for all the scorers.

This is my first year of PTP and it's been great - it does make the races more interesting when I am invested in the result.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Thanks dish_dash and all who scored. I think that's the first time I've made the top 10 and it is probably mainly down to me getting picks in for each race this season.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    dish_dash said:

I'm going to go back to enjoying my holiday. Will be back in February. Drop me a line if you want to help, or propose changes, in the new year!

Don't forget you need to organise Christmas drinks!

Thanks for scoring. Long time since you finished above me.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,675
    Thanks for organising once again dish-dash. Congrats twotoebenny, that was a good score and a close competition.

I really need to remember the Tour de Suisse and Benelux Tour exist and stop going for breakaway winners when my TdF pick inevitably crashes out. However, I will forget all this come 2022.

See you all next year.
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,155
    Thanks for running dish, all organisers & everyone taking part - count me in for 2022!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Well done Twotoe - and the commissaires…
    4 observations:
    1) what’s so difficult about KBK that no one can score a point?
    2) Matt Falle talked a load of rubbish, if I recall - and gets his 80 Vuelta points docked to be a total zero. Harsh, but fair.
    3) Rick Chasey really really wants to join but might feel like actually making public predictions will compromise his punditry.
    4) Rick Chasey really really wants to PTP.

The message? Don’t PTP KBK and don’t talk tosh….
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I forgot the last 2 races of the season entirely, so I have to be happy with my 5th place :smiley: . With archieboy and I being fairly close I could have moved up to 4th with a couple of decent results (32 points gap, so getting the 5th and 6th placed riders would have been enough) but that would have been my best possible result.

Now rueing my other missed picks through the season! :disappointed:
  • gregster04
    Opening weekend is rapidly approaching so do we have any plans for PTP 2022?
  • dish_dash

I had just thought about this and logged on!

Sorry, in the last couple of weeks I started a new job and got hit by a car while out cycling (am largely fine) so had other things on my mind. Will pop the usual post up later today hopefully.

Who wants to help PTP 2022?
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    dish_dash said:

Sorry, in the last couple of weeks I started a new job and got hit by a car while out cycling (am largely fine) so had other things on my mind. Will pop the usual post up later today hopefully.

hope you are OK...

I'm happy to help out
  • gregster04
    dish_dash said:

Sorry to hear that (the accident not the job!)

Dangerous out on them roads.

I’m happy to do whatever is required.
  • RichN95.
    I can help out. Amstel Gold and anything in June, I can't do
  • red.rider
    Happy to help with scoring again