BB needs replacing every 6 months. Why and how to avoid?

Just found the Shimano Press-Fit BB on my Giant Defy Advanced 2 2018 has developed a fair amount of play in it again. This seems to happen every 6 months and every time the local LBS replaces it. Is there something I can do to stop this constantly happening?

One a side note, is it safe to ride a 114 mile epic on or is that a big no no?

Comments

• Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    How are you cleaning your bike, and what sorts of conditions are you normally / mostly riding in?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    samfailed said:

Just found the Shimano Press-Fit BB on my Giant Defy Advanced 2 2018 has developed a fair amount of play in it again. This seems to happen every 6 months and every time the local LBS replaces it. Is there something I can do to stop this constantly happening?

One a side note, is it safe to ride a 114 mile epic on or is that a big no no?

How are you establishing that it has 'play' - and have you ruled out the obvious like loose crank arms?

BB86 is usually problem free, and one of the better press fit standards..
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    no idea if its cool to ride on as we can't see it.

perhaps your lbs is taking you for a ride/not very good as everyone on here says those BBs are fine.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    Hi, I've got BB86 and only replaced it once in 17k, so every 6 months sounds unusual. could be a installation problem or a frame problem, Id get the next change at a different bike shop and see how you go from there!