Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    Just stuck TMS on. Will probably mean this pair will have a 100+ stand :(
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Robinson has had quite a start on his test career, suspension for past behaviours aside.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • JimD666
    Absolutely. 14 wickets in 3 matches with a decent average. A slightly better strike rate would be nice, but still a hell of a start to his test career.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    elbowloh said:

Robinson has had quite a start on his test career, suspension for past behaviours aside.

Vital that we find some replacements for Broad and Anderson so it's good to see. Looking increasingly like Jofra isn't going to be the saviour of the test side in the long term.
  • Didn't Kholi say after the toss he also would've chosen to bowl if he'd won it?

Unless you get three wickets before lunch and have them pretty much all out on the first day the decision to bowl first will always be questioned. If India go 400+ then Root will be reminded about this game for years.

At some point we will have to stop navel gazing and accept that India are a far superior team.

Yes there is that issue too. Aided by the fact Kholi has instilled in his team test cricket is the pinnacle. Where as with England right now it's a mess. Ashes will be a horror show at this rate.
    I can’t see the tour taking place in any meaningful manner.
  • mrb123

Didn't Kholi say after the toss he also would've chosen to bowl if he'd won it?

Unless you get three wickets before lunch and have them pretty much all out on the first day the decision to bowl first will always be questioned. If India go 400+ then Root will be reminded about this game for years.

At some point we will have to stop navel gazing and accept that India are a far superior team.

Yes there is that issue too. Aided by the fact Kholi has instilled in his team test cricket is the pinnacle. Where as with England right now it's a mess. Ashes will be a horror show at this rate.
    I can’t see the tour taking place in any meaningful manner.
    Which will probably be a narrow escape for England!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    A feel good India collapse for England fans. Will disappear as soon as England start batting.
  • elbowloh
    Why is Haseeb Hamed fielding in the deep with pads on?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • JimD666
    364 all out. Could of been worse
  • elbowloh
    JimD666 said:

I was thinking anything under 400 was good, so that's a satisfying day.

100 runs ish for the last 7 wickets.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • JimD666
    elbowloh said:

JimD666 said:

It's an almost England like collapse. Except we'd of been 20-3 first :)
  • mrb123
    JimD666 said:

elbowloh said:

JimD666 said:

It's an almost England like collapse. Except we'd of been 20-3 first :)
    As you were saying...
  • elbowloh
    Feel for Hammeed there, waiting so long, game fell apart, dropped by his club and then worked his way back. Must had been really, really nervous and nerves just got the better of him.

Anyone who saw him bat in India on his first few tests could see he's definitely got loads of talent and the right attitude for Test cricket. Hopefully he'll show something in the second innings.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • JimD666
    As was said on TMS, not too worried about a first ball duck, it's happened to the best and the worst. The biggest concern is how much it will unsettle his head.
  • JimD666
    "Arise Sir Root"
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I'm sure we had the same conversation last year when people were predicting England getting hammered on the first morning of a Test. They remind me a bit of the Welsh rugby team, look completely out of form but then somehow get results.
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

I'm sure we had the same conversation last year when people were predicting England getting hammered on the first morning of a Test. They remind me a bit of the Welsh rugby team, look completely out of form but then somehow get results.

They are completely out of form except Root. This innings doesn't change that.
  • TheBigBean
    Tickets available for £20/£10 for the 5th day. A bargain for anyone who is free.
  • Pross said:

Out of form or not good enough?
  • JimD666

Pross said:

Therein lies the issue. Not sure any of the selectors are sure which. Personally, jury is out on Burns. I think it's a form/concentration issue for him. Sibley I don't think is good enough, not sure how many more opportunities he can be given.

Root having to come in at notalot-2 each time is putting more pressure than he needs on his shoulders.
  • JimD666 said:

Pross said:

Therein lies the issue. Not sure any of the selectors are sure which. Personally, jury is out on Burns. I think it's a form/concentration issue for him. Sibley I don't think is good enough, not sure how many more opportunities he can be given.

Root having to come in at notalot-2 each time is putting more pressure than he needs on his shoulders.
    I think the other problem is that there is nobody any better.

We also stick with people like Buttler despite Bairstow/Foakes both being better with the gloves and the bat.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    For context on how reliant England are on Root, he has scored nearly 29% of all England's runs including extras and over 30% of runs off the bat in the calendar year so far.
  • TheBigBean
    edited August 2021

Pross said:

Butler, Ali and Bairstow have played better. The rest are probably not good enough although they may be the best available.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    This is a proper test match.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Today especially, something to really get your teeth into.
  • JimD666
    Indian batsman digging in and being, rightfully, lauded for it.

England do similar and get accused of being slow and boring??

"Fans" are weird.
  • Pross said:

Butler, Ali and Bairstow have played better. The rest are probably not good enough although they may be the best available.
    IMHO Ali has been found out and his figures have been going backwards for several years, once you have a reputation for being vulnerable to the short ball you are fvcked.
    After 50 test matches Buttler averages 33 but is talked about as a world beater.
    I am no fan of YJB but do feel he has been unfairly treated.
  • elbowloh
    So, the morning session has been hugely disappointing from an England point of view.

TMS scathing over the tactics employed by the bowling attack, bowling bouncers at tailenders when it should be just line and length.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

So, the morning session has been hugely disappointing from an England point of view.

TMS scathing over the tactics employed by the bowling attack, bowling bouncers at tailenders when it should be just line and length.

holy sh1t - I saw Pant went early and switched off assuming they would be out in an hour then we would easily knock off 180ish
  • TheBigBean

elbowloh said:

holy censored - I saw Pant went early and switched off assuming they would be out in an hour then we would easily knock off 180ish
    A lot more confident than me in the batting. Excluding Root, England's 10 haven't made 180 this series.