tuesday is a space of hyperplanes

'ning

ride cafes bask, the trinity
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    oxoman said:

Morning. WFNW day 2. More stuff to take in, big stuff tomorrow. Seemed strange finishing early yesterday, soon get used to it though.

It will soon feel late
  • tlw1
    Hounds, work with a surprising lack of organised meetings, then a gentle run and hot tub recovery
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, nice start although cooler in the wind, dog walked and fed, cycling early rain forecast later
    Have a good day
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    They lied to me. Yesterday was supposed to be a mix of sunshine and showers but it turned out nice all day and I planned a decent pedal today...
    Today is shyte so far.

@Wheelspinner : I hope you are eating lots of sea Urchins.
    We're depending on you.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,550
    pinno said:

They lied to me. Yesterday was supposed to be a mix of sunshine and showers but it turned out nice all day and I planned a decent pedal today...
    Today is shyte so far.

We're depending on you.

Eh?!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    On a very boring Teams call, with a cast of thousands. Posting on here while it's on might keep me sane :)

Got the quotes in from the contractors on the house repairs so time to put in a revised offer. Buyer will be trying the same thing with their offer shortly so let the fun and games begin...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I'm doing the SEATS environmental / sustainability course all day today on Zoom.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    House guests charmed

Weights weighted

Off to shower then see what the day brings.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pinno

pinno said:

Today is shyte so far.

We're depending on you.

Eh?!
    Face palm moment.

Are you sitting comfortably?

Giant sea kelp is being planted off the coast of Tas. Giant sea kelp grows up to 40cm per day. It is excellent for trapping Carbon and is surviving the slightly warmer sea temps due to climate change unlike the smaller species but...
    Sea urchins love them and decimate the Kelp. However, there is a growing market for sea urchin consumption.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/class-clips-video/geography-ks3-gcse-tasmania-kelp-reforestation/zb32jsg
  • pinno
    edited August 2021
    On a similar tack - how do the Australians reconcile the fact that they are the biggest exporters of coal with the recent droughts and forest fires?
    I'm not having a pop at you WS but to a certain degree, the chickens came home to roost. I just wanted to know your opinion.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    pinno said:

On a similar tack - how do the Australians reconcile the fact that they are the biggest exporters of coal with the recent droughts and forest fires?
    I'm not having a pop at you WS but to a certain degree, the chickens came home to roost. I just wanted to know your opinion.

Surely it's having all those barbies that's melting the ice caps?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Is WFH still a thing? First time in the gym today for a while and it must have shocked someone so hard that they fainted. Mrs HD had to phone an ambulance as she wasn't coming around and the staff seemed a bit, well, meh...
    Meeting complete, tuna salad arranged and back to the grind.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • MattFalle

Is WFH still a thing? First time in the gym today for a while and it must have shocked someone so hard that they fainted. Mrs HD had to phone an ambulance as she wasn't coming around and the staff seemed a bit, well, meh...
    Meeting complete, tuna salad arranged and back to the grind.

fainting is just a manifestation of weakness
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    I wouldn't disagree with your diagnosis.
    I was quite amazing on the wire rope pulley thing though so that may still have had an effect.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Wheelspinner
    @pinno You may want to look a little deeper. And you’re not quite correct.

Australia is a very large exporter of coal. True. There are two types: thermal (for power generation) and metallurgical (for steel production).

Indonesia exports almost double the amount of thermal coal we do. Did you know that?

In production terms however CHINA produces almost half the entire world volume of coal, they just don’t export it. They use it domestically, but its still not enough to meet their demnd. They do buy vast amounts of our metallurgical coal because their own is not good enough to make steel. And guess why they make so much steel? Because the rest of the world - you lot included - continue to demand it.

We have very little heavy industry left here - no car making, not much shipbuilding or other major machinery stuff really. So we don’t use the stuff much, and our coal power is being steadily (slowly) decommissioned.

Stop consuming stuff and we’ll stop shipping coal to make it. Simple.

The world is happy to point the finger at Australia as “high emitters” blah blah and reckon we are personally responsible for climate change blah blah.

You could quite literally switch our entire country OFF for a whole year and still not save as much energy/carbon emissions as the amount generated by just the INCREASE in population of India and China in that same year.

Don’t blame us in other words. We’re just as bad as everybody else, agreed, but if you seriously think stopping coal exports here will suddenly fix “everything” you’re bonkers…

• pinno

Don’t blame us in other words. We’re just as bad as everybody else, agreed, but if you seriously think stopping coal exports here will suddenly fix “everything” you’re bonkers…

No I didn't think that, we are all party to it.

And ultimately, I have provoked the right reaction from you (with facts) and therefore, it is in your consciousness.

So what about eating Sea Urchins?

• Wheelspinner
    pinno said:

And ultimately, I have provoked the right reaction from you (with facts) and therefore, it is in your consciousness.

Nope, shellfish / crustaceans of any kind are gross. My father used to go scuba diving and get crayfish and abalone. I refused to eat it, and still won’t.

I have a *lot* of opinions about where this world is headed, what needs to be done to make the future less bleak, and whether there’s any hope of it happening.

TL;DR: the place is f^cked.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    oxoman said:

Agree with WS especially on the bottom dwelling sea critters.

alpaca steaks would be a tasty alternative
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Have a pal and his missus who are big time foodies. Will plan holidays based on a restaurant trail. Came back early last week from one such in Cornwall / Devon suffering from, in his words, the worst case of food poisoning ever. Blames a dodgy oyster. ('Course it might have been a dodgy McD 🤨)
  • MattFalle
    talking of food, just picking up Thai take away to be washed down with Tattinger.

#houseguests
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249

pinno said:

I have a *lot* of opinions about where this world is headed, what needs to be done to make the future less bleak, and whether there’s any hope of it happening.

TL;DR: the place is f^cked.

Not wrong there Spinner. I'm hardly the world's greatest environmentalist but the sheer volume of rubbish we produce is staggering, throw away culture does my head in. I think the film Wall E or however it's written is the future for mankind.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'Evening
    Had the afternoon off so made good use of it:

My ever sore Achilles now has a nice bruise on it, will wait and see whether I can still walk in the morning :/
  • Wheelspinner
    thistle_ said:

'Evening
    Had the afternoon off so made good use of it:

My ever sore Achilles now has a nice bruise on it, will wait and see whether I can still walk in the morning :/

That looks beautiful. I love empty space like that.

I’m curious why someone felt the need to build a stone wall up there?
  • thistle_

Its a wind shelter on the summit which I was hiding in.
    They're quite common around here, but that one was pretty big.

And yes, it was blissfully quiet (apart from the howling wind) and didn't see anyone on either mountain.
  • thistle_
    @Stevo_666
    Just seen the censored word association.
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20823019/#Comment_20823019 was bend er, like the robot.
    I think the filter's getting a bit too big for it's boots.
  • thistle_

Here's one I did earlier (in the year). Curious why someone bothered to build several km of wall up at 590m above sea level.

Trying to keep up with the Chinese and their great wall possibly.
  • Wheelspinner
    Ah ok, makes sense.

We used to go camping when I was a kid - it was a punt across a wide river and a 4wd that took us all the way along a 20 mile beach to a headland and drop us off. They’d leave us and come back a week later to pick us up. It was pretty much guaranteed we’d not see anyone else the whole week as access was so limited.

Best holidays ever.
  • thistle_

Ah ok, makes sense.

We used to go camping when I was a kid - it was a punt across a wide river and a 4wd that took us all the way along a 20 mile beach to a headland and drop us off. They’d leave us and come back a week later to pick us up. It was pretty much guaranteed we’d not see anyone else the whole week as access was so limited.

Best holidays ever.

Sounds like a great adventure.

I was tempted to take a tent tonight and camp out on the summit but was paranoid about the car being nicked/broken into.
  • Wheelspinner
    It was very Robinson Crusoe, loved it.
  • tlw1
    thistle_ said:

Ah ok, makes sense.

Best holidays ever.

Sounds like a great adventure.

I was tempted to take a tent tonight and camp out on the summit but was paranoid about the car being nicked/broken into.
    With your car luck it would have been