Jersey-pocket-fitting extra layer suggestions, please

Reminded by the packable insulated jacket on today's First Look Friday, I'm looking for something nice that will scrunch up into a jersey pocket easily, but has long sleeves and is at least pretty windproof to slip on at stops and for when it unexpectedly turns a bit chilly, or maybe even damp, while out.

I've got a decent 20-years-old-but-still-great gore-tex jacket (they don't make 'em like they used to ;) ), but it's a fairly bulky, lined, lump - more full touring spec than out for a spin. Fits in a large saddle bag, but never a pocket.

Galibier have a couple of things that look about right - the Gino Pro and Ventultra - but I'm after a few recommendations as this is something I'd like to buy just the once! I'm 6'4" and 93kg, so availability in XL (or XXL in a "racing fit") would be a bonus :)

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    What kind of budget?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 138
    Much over £100 I might find hard to justify (unless I really liked it ;) ). I think the Galibier stuff sets a pretty hard price challenge if it's as decent as it sounds; there are certainly some good reviews on there of both items.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    I've been using a Castelli's Pro Fit Light Rain Jacket for years and with a couple of re-coatings it is still serving well for both wind and rain. It fits easily into a pocket.
    Current version might be the Emergency Rain Jacket but it is above your price bracket and I'd check it is the same level.
    I won't comment on items that I've not used.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Defblade
    Like I say, budget is stretchable for the right piece... although I gave up on Castelli years ago - I've got a long body, and there doesn't seem to be enough X's in Italy for them to make something that fits me!

I was glancing through LeCol earlier (Strava voucher available, natch) and it occurred to me that I could buy both the Galibier tops for less than one of theirs, have lots of layering choices and money left over...
  • Endura pakajak, windproof and keeps the worst of the rain out and packs very small.
  • Defblade
    Spent an hour or two looking at stuff.

Seems I don't generally like the very, very, thin jackets (except shake dry, but that's too far out of budget).

Current possibles, in ascending price order, are

https://galibier.cc/product/gino/

https://endurasport.com/pro-sl-windshell-black/

https://sigmasports.com/item/Castelli/Emergency-Rain-Jacket/

https://sigmasports.com/item/7mesh/Cypress-Hybrid-Jacket/

The Castelli is a bit of the odd-one-out here. But I like the look of it anyway...
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    The Gore Shakedry really is excellent, packs up much smaller than anything else I've had over the years. It's completely waterproof, does a good job of keeping off the chill despite how thin it is and also pretty breathable. Keep an eye out for sales, managed to get my C5 for £140. I have it in my jersey pocket almost every ride.
  • Defblade
    i.bhamra said:

The Gore Shakedry really is excellent, packs up much smaller than anything else I've had over the years. It's completely waterproof, does a good job of keeping off the chill despite how thin it is and also pretty breathable. Keep an eye out for sales, managed to get my C5 for £140. I have it in my jersey pocket almost every ride.

No sales anywhere that I can find at the moment (no surprise there) - otherwise there's basically a choice between OOS or £300 :(
  • Defblade
    Ignored my own list, decided it seems like I'm going for waterproof as much as windproof, and ordered the VentUltra from Galibier. £40 is just too cheap to ignore given the "occasional use only" remit for this.

(And if I don't like it, I think I'll head for the other end of my pricing list above and try the 7Mesh ;) )
  • Defblade
    The VentUltra arrived today, along with a set of bibs I'd also ordered, and a nice freebie of a pair of socks :) Also, a little personalised post card, all of which made the whole experience really nice - lots of far costlier makes could take notes!

The jacket seems like it will do exactly the job I was looking for and packs down very simply into it's own pouch (sewn onto an internal seam). It may (hopefully?) be a while before I try it out in anger, though. Seems tough enough not be be afraid of damaging it in normal use; a good colour for poor conditions and plenty of reflective details. I'll hold judgment on the offset zip until I've used it a bit - my hand automatically goes to the wrong place.

(The bib shorts seem rather nice from a quick try-on, too :) ).