Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    So, 1st test of the England v India series.

England have another classic batting collapse.

No surprises when there's very little 4 day matches being played and England continue to never plan in warm-up games, but rather cram in T20s and 1 dayers.

There is such little support for test cricket from the ECB, when (in my mind at least) its the best form of the game.

We're picking players who have played zero red ball cricket this year for a start.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    elbowloh said:

No surprises when there's very little 4 day matches being played and England continue to never plan in warm-up games, but rather cram in T20s and 1 dayers.

There is such little support for test cricket from the ECB, when (in my mind at least) its the best form of the game.

We're picking players who have played zero red ball cricket this year for a start.

I wouldn't put all the blame on the ECB. We're about the only country left who cares about Test Cricket no matter who we play. The vast majority of the others really don't. One day and T20 have over taken Tests by a huge margin

Lets be fair even T20 is now considered too slow! Hence the OneHundred

And it's looking even worse for England at the moment. Archer is out for the rest of the season with a stress fracture in his right arm. :(
  • elbowloh
    JimD666 said:

elbowloh said:

I wouldn't put all the blame on the ECB. We're about the only country left who cares about Test Cricket no matter who we play. The vast majority of the others really don't. One day and T20 have over taken Tests by a huge margin

And it's looking even worse for England at the moment. Archer is out for the rest of the season with a stress fracture in his right arm. :(
    India care, Australia care and so do NZ, who made it their goal to be the no.1 test team.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • JimD666 said:

elbowloh said:

The Hundred was invented as part of the power struggle between ECB and the rest of the world but India in particular. It would have been very easy to speed up T20.

I would agree with your other comments but do feel there is room to give India some credit for having a lot of very good players and enormous strength in depth.
  • elbowloh
    Look at what we did with earlier series this year, we rested players for the T20 and I day games, rather than prioritising the Tests.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • JimD666
    England, or rather Jimmy, has come out swinging (literally) two wickets in two balls :)

Ask the other Cricket boards to choose two formats out of the 3 ( I'm discarding the onehundred for now at least) T20 would get picked. Which would be the other? Eng and Aus would pick the Test option (I'd hope) the other countries? Honestly couldn't call it.

Any combination of Eng, Aus, NZ and India will get crowds no matter where. Any combination of the other 5 test playing nations don't. At least not consistently.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

JimD666 said:

elbowloh said:

The Hundred was invented as part of the power struggle between ECB and the rest of the world but India in particular. It would have been very easy to speed up T20.

I would agree with your other comments but do feel there is room to give India some credit for having a lot of very good players and enormous strength in depth.
    T20 was invented by country cricket/ECB in order to get people into the game. The Hundred was invented by the ECB in order to get people into the game. It amuses me how people criticise the Hundred despite it being created by largely the same people who created T20.

• elbowloh

JimD666 said:

elbowloh said:

T20 was invented by country cricket/ECB in order to get people into the game. The Hundred was invented by the ECB in order to get people into the game. It amuses me how people criticise the Hundred despite it being created by largely the same people who created T20.

But could they have not just leverage T20 more? Always seems sold old when i've tried to get tickets close to the match. Did we need another format?

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    Looks like rain will save the match for England anyway.

I'm sure England will improve as the series goes on, but the first match of a series England are always terrible and half-cooked having had no warm up matches.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    elbowloh said:

JimD666 said:

elbowloh said:

But could they have not just leverage T20 more? Always seems sold old when i've tried to get tickets close to the match. Did we need another format?

Once I got over the garish presentation with numbers everywhere, I decided it is more accessible, so I don't think it does any harm.
  • JimD666

elbowloh said:

JimD666 said:

elbowloh said:

Once I got over the garish presentation with numbers everywhere, I decided it is more accessible, so I don't think it does any harm.
    Pretty much that, the batsmen/women still bat, the bowlers still bowl. Everything else is just window dressing.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    The biggest argument against the Hundred is that it deflects from the existing county set up, By creating teams out of thin air it alienates the fans of those teams. I personally also don't see the point when they could have just promoted The Blast. Having 4 formats is unsustainable.
  • JimD666 said:

elbowloh said:

Yep you are right, the ECB dominates T20
  • elbowloh
    Tashman said:

The biggest argument against the Hundred is that it deflects from the existing county set up, By creating teams out of thin air it alienates the fans of those teams. I personally also don't see the point when they could have just promoted The Blast. Having 4 formats is unsustainable.

JimD666 said:

elbowloh said:

I don't think that's why people were against it. It's because we don't really need 4 formats and an extra format in already congested calendar means 4 day cricket has lost out and been moved all over the shop.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    Tashman said:

The biggest argument against the Hundred is that it deflects from the existing county set up, By creating teams out of thin air it alienates the fans of those teams.

I don't particularly like this bit either. I would have liked to see it used instead of the T20 tournament.
  • JimD666
    Nice to see Test cricket shooting itself in the foot again. Could of gone out earlier and had some play. Nope must start at 11. Off again 10 minutes later :(
  • elbowloh
    JimD666 said:

Nice to see Test cricket shooting itself in the foot again. Could of gone out earlier and had some play. Nope must start at 11. Off again 10 minutes later :(

They were moving starts for a series earlier in the year weren't they? Why not this time?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    edited August 2021
    elbowloh said:

JimD666 said:

They were moving starts for a series earlier in the year weren't they? Why not this time?
    No crowd earlier in the year, it is a lot slower to get the crowd in once play has started.
  • elbowloh
    So England dismiss India for 278, a lead of 95.

Dropped 4 easi-ish catches on the way, should have been a lead of closer to 30 or 40 otherwise.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • JimD666
    BBC live text has it down as three dropped catches and 5 missed run outs. However you look at it that's poor.

Wish I had a bit more faith in our batting.
  • elbowloh
    JimD666 said:

BBC live text has it down as three dropped catches and 5 missed run outs. However you look at it that's poor.

Wish I had a bit more faith in our batting.

There are 4 dropped catches in video clips on the BBC live text
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • JimD666
    Stick the cricket on. Lose two wickets. Go back to the Olympics while hoping for rain....
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I think there should be a new format of cricket entirely. The "90" would fit in nicely between the 80 and the 100 and would bring in a new generation of 5 or 6 people who aren't interested in any of the other dozen or so formats of the game. They could also use another colour of ball to spice things up.

• JimD666
    Looking like Eng will be rescued by the weather.

How the hell did cricket ever originate in this country?!
  • JimD666
    India will be breathing a huge sigh of relief, the game has been abandoned......
  • JimD666 said:

Presumably it did not originate t’up north so why do we insist on trying to play up there
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

JimD666 said:

Presumably it did not originate t’up north so why do we insist on trying to play up there
    Would we have got 5 days' play at The Oval? We certainly wouldn't have in Cardiff.
  • Pross said:

JimD666 said:

Would we have got 5 days' play at The Oval? We certainly wouldn't have in Cardiff.
    Cardiff counts as t’up north
  • elbowloh
    Pross said:

JimD666 said:

No.

It's been pissing it down for most of yesterday and today.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • JimD666

Pross said:

JimD666 said:

Cardiff counts as t’up north
    So does The Oval 😜