New Olympic sports

Is it just me or the new Olympic sports are indeed much more fun than some old dogs?

BMX is great, Skateboard is a lot of fun and I can't wait to watch speed climbing (has it happened yet?).

On the contrary, I keep not seeing the point of having a male football tournament, as well as a rugby tournament and then of course little point in golf... they're all sport that have a year round coverage at the same or higher level.
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    ... little point in tennis too for the same reasons
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,867
    I'd keep sevens, different enough from union and league for the Olympic competition to offer something else.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    The mens football is pointless as it is an irrelevance in the wider game, being an under 23 tournament.
    Is the womens football also an U23 tournament?

I'd also keep the 7s.

Far too many swimming medals available with distances that simply aren't different enough.

Softball should be binned - only 3 countries play the game.
    Synchronised swimming can go too.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193

Is it just me or the new Olympic sports are indeed much more fun than some old dogs?

BMX is great, Skateboard is a lot of fun and I can't wait to watch speed climbing (has it happened yet?).

On the contrary, I keep not seeing the point of having a male football tournament, as well as a rugby tournament and then of course little point in golf... they're all sport that have a year round coverage at the same or higher level.

Tell that to Novak Djokovic who really wanted to win a medal and clearly displayed that. Also after Justin Rose won Olympic Gold in Rio the other pro's really wanted to compete in the next Olympics, Rory Mcllroy for example.

Again, you keep starting threads without the slightest bit of research, it's just lazy!
  • Jezyboy
    I think you could make a good argument for getting rid of the road race. Basically the discipline is way too varied for a single gold and also riding around the Pro peleton in a gold helmet looks stupid.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123

Tell that to Novak Djokovic who really wanted to win a medal and clearly displayed that. Also after Justin Rose won Olympic Gold in Rio the other pro's really wanted to compete in the next Olympics, Rory Mcllroy for example.

Again, you keep starting threads without the slightest bit of research, it's just lazy!
    Put the Olympics on at the same time as Wimbledon or the Masters who would choose the olympics?
  • focuszing723

Put the Olympics on at the same time as Wimbledon or the Masters who would choose the olympics?
    That's irrelevant, you could say the same if you put the French, Australian and US Open on the same time as Wimbledon?

What about the Giro, Vuelta on the same time as a TDF?
  • kingstongraham

That's irrelevant, you could say the same if you put the French, Australian and US Open on the same time as Wimbledon?

Sure, what would the answer be?
  • focuszing723

Irrelevant, "what if's". The fact is the schedules can be arranged.
  • kingstongraham

Irrelevant, "what if's". The fact is the schedules can be arranged.
    I guess if there were no limit on the number of sports, you wouldn't need any criteria. I don't think it should be at the Olympics if it isn't the pinnacle of the sport.

The vuelta can exist fine as a second grade event with less prestige than the tdf, but I don't think the Olympics should be a second grade event.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I’d agree. When the IOC desperately want to manage athlete numbers, why shoehorn in well established sports with a novelty medal when other sports where the olympics are the pinnacle have to limit events. E.g. track cycling.
  • focuszing723
    Winning an Olympic medal is a completely different experience though. It's akin to perhaps competing in the Ryder cup (US v Europe). The Pro golfers mentioned this, rather than playing for yourself it's for your Country and it's a different experience from the usual Pro Tours.

Personally, I like that.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    morstar said:

I’d agree. When the IOC desperately want to manage athlete numbers, why shoehorn in well established sports with a novelty medal when other sports where the olympics are the pinnacle have to limit events. E.g. track cycling.

Fair point. Track cycling can stay, road racing should go.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    No prize money to play for at the Olympics is there? Come fourth or worse and you just go home with memories. That's pretty different from playing in any other golf or tennis tournament.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,366
    One of the great things about the "new" sports is that we (GB&NI) seem to be winning medals in them - one medal in each of the BMX events and one in the park skateboarding along with a good shout in the climbing from what I understand . . .

For things like BMX, canoeing, archery, shooting etc etc, the Olympics represents the very pinnacle of achievement in the sport and, where a sport lacks a finite "peak", I think it's introduction into the Olympics is a brilliant thing. I have heard of the "X" Games but would imagine that an Olympic Gold would rate above a win at them or, for instance, the skateboarding world championship.

I agree on the men's football. Brazil vs Spain in the Olympics would fall a distant second to me watching a hitherto unheard of Ivorian in the women's skeet shooting. The same match in the World Cup would see a large "do not disturb" sign on the front door and me glued to the TV for the entire build up, match and post mortem. It is simply not the pinnacle of the sport.

I do think that perhaps the golfers, tennis palyers, footballers etc see the Olympics as the chance to represent the Olympic Team of their nation rather than just, for example, the football team - be part of something bigger but by and large I can't see any of them swapping Olympic Gold for the WC, Open Championship or Grand Slam.

Sevens rugby has been a great success and, despite there being a recognised sevens circuit and World Cup, I think it could be argued that the Olympics competition now represents the pinnacle of achievement - particularly in the women's game.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

No prize money to play for at the Olympics is there? Come fourth or worse and you just go home with memories. That's pretty different from playing in any other golf or tennis tournament.

I think National Olympic associations give prize money to their own medal winning athletes, each paying different amounts.

A Singaporean Gold Medal winner will get $737k USD, an Australian $15k

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/29/tokyo-olympics-how-much-athletes-earn.html
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar

Winning an Olympic medal is a completely different experience though. It's akin to perhaps competing in the Ryder cup (US v Europe). The Pro golfers mentioned this, rather than playing for yourself it's for your Country and it's a different experience from the usual Pro Tours.

Personally, I like that.

Like I say, a novelty.

If it attracted all the biggest names to qualifying, fair enough. It doesn’t though whilst in other sports it is the very top and yet often is diluted to manage athlete numbers.
  • focuszing723
    morstar said:

Personally, I like that.

Like I say, a novelty.

If it attracted all the biggest names to qualifying, fair enough. It doesn’t though whilst in other sports it is the very top and yet often is diluted to manage athlete numbers.
    You must of missed my post about McIlroy and Djokovic?

Also, why the hell would you not want sport stars not to appear at your Olympic games?
  • focuszing723
    Right, I'm done with another lazy thread.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Agree, the road race is probably redundant, but it's one race, as opposed to a big tournament taking over the calendar.
    That said, I'd rather see more track events, than another "classic".
    Maybe more MTB could be nice, downhill would certainly be an exciting race
  • Bring on the Olympic road bike hill climbing event... Feather and Laverack in the mix for medals, or would they be way off the likes of Pog and Rog?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • morstar

morstar said:

Personally, I like that.

Like I say, a novelty.

Also, why the hell would you not want sport stars not to appear at your Olympic games?
    I haven’t missed anything and definitely do want the biggest stars at the olympics.

In which recent Olympic Games have the top 4 male and female tennis and golf stars all played? (Exclude injuries)

In which olympics have elite track cyclists not competed due to participant limitations?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,507
    I find it interesting that the men's half-pipe is the most watched event in the winter olympics. Goes to show that new sports can be more popular than old ones.
  • kingstongraham

morstar said:

Personally, I like that.

Like I say, a novelty.

Viral Kohli isn't there.
  • ugo.santalucia

Bring on the Olympic road bike hill climbing event... Feather and Laverack in the mix for medals, or would they be way off the likes of Pog and Rog?

It's really just a provincial British sport... very Corinthian, winner prize for a race is typically 30 quid

• Jezyboy
    edited August 2021

I find it interesting that the men's half-pipe is the most watched event in the winter olympics. Goes to show that new sports can be more popular than old ones.

I'm surprised /sad it's not the hockey.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    The women's Olympic football is a huge tournament - it's not age limited like the men's.

I'd have thought any argument that it should be dropped is really down to the status of the men's competition - that shouldn't be a reason to bin the women.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham

The women's Olympic football is a huge tournament - it's not age limited like the men's.

I'd have thought any argument that it should be dropped is really down to the status of the men's competition - that shouldn't be a reason to bin the women.

The men's tournament is on its own in being under 23 except for three players over 23s per team. It's also a bit odd that it is at multiple locations and starts days before the opening ceremony.

I don't see an issue with dropping the men's tournament and keeping the women's.
  • ugo.santalucia

I don't see an issue with dropping the men's tournament and keeping the women's.

Me neither, there are women only sports already. Women football needs more profile, men's football needs less profile

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

Softball should be binned - only 3 countries play the game.

Softball and Baseball are only exhibition sports arent they? They are here and were in Atlanta. Guess it's something for the locals... (What was the equivalent in GB..?)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver