UK based and ordering from EU bike shops

124»

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538

Right.
    Ordered a 105 chainring at 17.30 on Tuesday. Website listed the price £49.70, including any all fees. UPS delivery was £9.99.
    At 20.10 I received an email to say it was dispatched.
    Arrived today, Friday at 11.33.

Really painless and would definitely use again.

Can't argue with that.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    daniel_b said:

Right.
    Ordered a 105 chainring at 17.30 on Tuesday. Website listed the price £49.70, including any all fees. UPS delivery was £9.99.
    At 20.10 I received an email to say it was dispatched.
    Arrived today, Friday at 11.33.

Really painless and would definitely use again.

Can't argue with that.

Particularly when the 105 50t ring can't be had anywhere else and I believe lbs is expecting availability on 10 August and the advertised price everywhere is £74.99.
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2021
    I'm debating ordering (About £190 with postage) from bike discount de - a place I have spent a fair amount with in the past. The fact it states 'no vat' makes me convinced I'll get hit with that extra 20% plus admin fee plus import charges - would still be cheaper than buying from the uk weirdly, but frustrating to have all of this uncertainty now.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    daniel_b said:

I'm debating ordering (About £190 with postage) from bike discount de - a place I have spent a fair amount with in the past. The fact it states 'no vat' makes me convinced I'll get hit with that extra 20% plus admin fee plus import charges - would still be cheaper than buying from the uk weirdly, but frustrating to have all of this uncertainty now.

Some experiences here.

https://www.emtbforums.com/community/threads/anybody-ordered-from-bike-discount-de-recently.20122/
  • daniel_b

daniel_b said:

Some experiences here.

https://www.emtbforums.com/community/threads/anybody-ordered-from-bike-discount-de-recently.20122/
    Thanks @ballysmate - very handy.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    daniel_b said:

If what you are importing costs over £135 you will be paying import VAT and 2% import duty unless the goods have a lower import duty rating. (plus any admin fees) but the seller won't be charging any VAT. So if ordering from Germany you will pay 20% VAT and any relevant duty on import (plus admin fees) but you won't be charged the 19% German VAT. VAT wise it almost works out equal.
  • daniel_b
    wongataa said:

daniel_b said:

If what you are importing costs over £135 you will be paying import VAT and 2% import duty unless the goods have a lower import duty rating. (plus any admin fees) but the seller won't be charging any VAT. So if ordering from Germany you will pay 20% VAT and any relevant duty on import (plus admin fees) but you won't be charged the 19% German VAT. VAT wise it almost works out equal.
    Going on the thread posted above, it looks like I'd be looking at an extra 30% on top.
    Still 20% cheaper than anywhere in the uk though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18