Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

So was the Eiffel tower.
    But this 'heap' (literally and metaphorically) doesn't really match those temporary constructions.
    Does that the overpriced Dome still exist?

Yes, it's been The O2 for years. The dome wasn't supposed to be temporary and was remarkably cheap for the size of it. It was all the designed-by-committee stuff inside that was expensive.
    The Dome/O2 should be renamed the tardis.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,476
    It feels like that "Winterwonderland" place they had somewhere down south a few years ago.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    edited July 2021
    Pross said:

It feels like that "Winterwonderland" place they had somewhere down south a few years ago.

I think it's just been value-engineered to death. It doesn't look like there is any soil under the turf and the number of trees and shrubs is much smaller than the visualisations suggested.

That thread also points out that the trees surrounding the mound have grown, blocking some of the views - all the visuals have these surrounding trees with bare branches but the mound in full leaf.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

I think it's just been value-engineered to death. It doesn't look like there is any soil under the turf and the number of trees and shrubs is much smaller than the visualisations suggested.

That thread also points out that the trees surrounding the mound have grown, blocking some of the views - all the visuals have these surrounding trees with bare branches but the mound in full leaf.
    How long ago did they do the planning? Those trees around it haven't just appeared in the last few months.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

How long ago did they do the planning? Those trees around it haven't just appeared in the last few months.
    Sure, but they are probably a few feet taller than when they were surveyed. Either way, it's something that could have been foreseen.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    edited July 2021
    People getting so excited that Llanberis to receive World Heritage Site status. I wonder how many of them realise the additional difficulties it can bring when trying to get planning consent. I'm also not sure that it will bring more tourism to the area than the natural beauty of the National Park does at present.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Sure, but they are probably a few feet taller than when they were surveyed. Either way, it's something that could have been foreseen.
    On the thread you posted lots of them are just completely missing from the concept pictures
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • elbowloh
    Pross said:

People getting so excited that Llanberis are getting so excited to receive World Heritage Site status. I wonder how many of them realise the additional difficulties it can bring when trying to get planning consent. I'm also not sure that it will bring more tourism to the area than the natural beauty of the National Park does at present.

Drove through Llanberis on the way back home on Saturday. It did look nice. Lots of hikers everywhere!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pangolin
    Pross said:

People getting so excited that Llanberis to receive World Heritage Site status. I wonder how many of them realise the additional difficulties it can bring when trying to get planning consent. I'm also not sure that it will bring more tourism to the area than the natural beauty of the National Park does at present.

Yeah I was wondering about the tourism aspect, it doesn't struggle for visitors does it. I'm assuming they apply to be a WHS so must have some benefits in mind?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    pangolin said:

Pross said:

Yeah I was wondering about the tourism aspect, it doesn't struggle for visitors does it. I'm assuming they apply to be a WHS so must have some benefits in mind?
    Yeah, I guess a lot of people see benefits and it may attract some additional visitors. There's a very similar industrial landscape WHS a few miles away from me and it probably gets more visitors than it did previously but they're not exactly flocking in from all corners of the globe. It makes me laugh when they compare it with places like Machu Picchu.
  • Pross
    To add to the things that intrigue me about the WHS in North Wales. Why do the reports always mention it "joining the likes of the Pyramids, Taj Mahal, Great Wall of China and the Great Barrier Reef" rather than "the Cornish Mining Landscape, Derwent Mills, Nord-Pas de Calais Mining Basin and Ombilin Coal Mine"?
  • kingstongraham
    And the Fray Bentos meat packing factory.
  • Pross

And the Fray Bentos meat packing factory.

Yep, saw that one. At least it sounds more exotic than Major Mining Sites of Wallonia (I think that might get a regular mention on LBL but maybe getting confused with the mine at Arenburg on the P-R coverage).
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    How did Dr Who get around the 12 regenerations thing?
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    rjsterry said:
    The ones that have caused two massive warehouse fires recently.

They've apparently licenced the tech to loads of warehouses worldwide, which could be a bit tricky...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57883332
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    From an engineering perspective, it's amazing how they have developed these 'bots' with seemingly high levels of durability.

My frikkin Bosch angle grinder didn't last long.

Anyhoo, does this mean lower emissions because 2m(?) people are not making 2m journey's to and from the supermarket?
    10,000 vans to deliver the above?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • elbowloh
    Surprised no-one has mentioned the changes to the highway code yet that will give priority to vulnerable road users, including cycling.

I'm a little intrigued that in one of the articles i've read, it says that motor vehicles aren't allowed to turn across the path of cyclists who are going straight...petty sure that was the case anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/30/pedestrians-get-priority-as-uk-unveils-changes-to-highway-code

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58021450
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,735
    elbowloh said:

Surprised no-one has mentioned the changes to the highway code yet that will give priority to vulnerable road users, including cycling.

I'm a little intrigued that in one of the articles i've read, it says that motor vehicles aren't allowed to turn across the path of cyclists who are going straight...petty sure that was the case anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/30/pedestrians-get-priority-as-uk-unveils-changes-to-highway-code

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58021450

You’d assume so but the fact that it is being written in would indicate not. 🤔😱
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    I find the Highway Code a bit annoying as it mixes up things people a legally required to do with things it would be nice for them to do and the vast majority of the public can't tell the difference. It would be far better if everything was backed by legislation.

I'm also not convinced some of the changes mentioned are new e.g. it has always been the case that a car turning into a side street should give way to a pedestrian already crossing the street.
  • pangolin
    Pross said:

I find the Highway Code a bit annoying as it mixes up things people a legally required to do with things it would be nice for them to do and the vast majority of the public can't tell the difference. It would be far better if everything was backed by legislation.

I'm also not convinced some of the changes mentioned are new e.g. it has always been the case that a car turning into a side street should give way to a pedestrian already crossing the street.

I think that's what the article says no?

Under the current code, motorists only have to give way when pedestrians step onto a crossing.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    edited July 2021
    "Under the existing code, traffic does not have to give way at a zebra crossing until a pedestrian has moved onto the crossing.

At the same time, pedestrians are told they should not start to cross until the vehicles on the road have stopped."

It's good as a nudge in the right direction for new drivers.

At the end of the day, if some twat in a car decides he's not stopping, it doesn't really matter that the pedestrian has right of way, does it?
  • pangolin
    Ah yeah I'm mixing up side streets and crossings.

But yes, new code or not, you'd be a brave man to just step out.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    pangolin said:

You were right though - "The current code also tells motorists turning into a road at a junction to give way to pedestrians "if they have started to cross"."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    pangolin said:

As has been said many times I'm sure "But I had right of way" doesn't look good on a gravestone.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,582

pangolin said:

As has been said many times I'm sure "But I had right of way" doesn't look good on a gravestone.
    My wife says this more or less every time I go out on my bike.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pinno said:

From an engineering perspective, it's amazing how they have developed these 'bots' with seemingly high levels of durability.

My frikkin Bosch angle grinder didn't last long.

Anyhoo, does this mean lower emissions because 2m(?) people are not making 2m journey's to and from the supermarket?
    10,000 vans to deliver the above?

I'm not so sure about that. I believe other grocers have tried the automated system but found that it is cheaper to pay people than the cost of repairs to keep 'em running.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,907
    What happened to the guy on here that used to post his investment tips. I'm sure he was deep into ocado stock at one point?
  • Pross
    Jezyboy said:

What happened to the guy on here that used to post his investment tips. I'm sure he was deep into ocado stock at one point?

He flounced off as he was a Walter Mitty and everyone let him know they knew he was full of horseshit