BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,925
    If you try to follow the different threads on which people question him on this he concedes or possibly realises that he means Macron would have insisted on checks between Ireland and the EU in the event of no deal... Which in no way helps the UK negotiate a deal

Guy's a fucking idiot
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,925
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,901
    My take home from the two avatars is that twh is Ned from the tele.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    a rare glimpse of the sunlit uplands

there is a shortage of vets in the UK so this should push up wages for British people
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,311

there is a shortage of vets in the UK so this should push up wages for British people

Isn't this bad news for the much larger group, pet owners?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    I do almost all my shopping via delivery but I went over to pick up some stuff from the local shop and about a third of all the items were just fully sold out, wtf is going on.
  • surrey_commuter
    pangolin said:

bad news for pets but good news for the potential bill payer who now can't see a vet
  • surrey_commuter

I do almost all my shopping via delivery but I went over to pick up some stuff from the local shop and about a third of all the items were just fully sold out, wtf is going on.

what were you buying?

I have been saying this for ages, even shops like Boots only have a few products on the front of shelves. Everybody says covid/brexit stress on supply chains.
  • rick_chasey

what were you buying?

I have been saying this for ages, even shops like Boots only have a few products on the front of shelves. Everybody says covid/brexit stress on supply chains.
    drain unblocker (5 options on the shelf according to the labels, literally only one bottle left), cookies for the wife (none available), and I thought I'd check out the old world wine, as is my taste - literally sold out, the whole lot.
  • surrey_commuter

what were you buying?

drain unblocker (5 options on the shelf according to the labels, literally only one bottle left), cookies for the wife (none available), and I thought I'd check out the old world wine, as is my taste - literally sold out, the whole lot.
    I have a bro who works for John Lewis and last week he said pandemic, pingdemic, supply chain, no HGV drivers and empty shelves leading to panic buying unrelated products.
    He also said there had been a surge in online orders suggesting that people were scared to go out (catch it or get pinged) which changes buying patterns.

there has been a shortage of cat food for months
  • rick_chasey
    Thing is I know in Italy, Netherlands and Germany, where I have close friends/relatives, there are absolutely no shortages.

• surrey_commuter

Thing is I know in Italy, Netherlands and Germany, where I have close friends/relatives, there are absolutely no shortages.

and they don't have a pingdemic and a lack of HGV drivers and supply chain difficulties due to Brexit
  • rick_chasey
    Useless f*cking island. So far up its own ars* it couldn't see it was in a sh!tshow if it was locked up with protesting IRA prisoners in The Maze.
  • surrey_commuter

Useless f*cking island. So far up its own ars* it couldn't see it was in a sh!tshow if it was locked up with protesting IRA prisoners in The Maze.

there are none so blind as those who will not see

Cleverest thing Boris did was putting Gove in charge of no bad Brexit optics
  • rick_chasey
    "I like how you've redecorated the walls brown"
  • rick_chasey
    Bluntly I think both this Brexit thread and the Rona thread can basically be summarised as "in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king".
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    pangolin said:

We could remove all that degree education and bring it down to minimum wage. Would pet owners be happy with the reality of that service. A vet studies for 4-5 years at a similar intellectual level to doctors. They should be well paid and owners should pay the required bill or not get a pet.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

pangolin said:

bad news for pets but good news for the potential bill payer who now can't see a vet
    what's wrong with a dustbin full of water and sack?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    john80 said:

pangolin said:

We could remove all that degree education and bring it down to minimum wage. Would pet owners be happy with the reality of that service. A vet studies for 4-5 years at a similar intellectual level to doctors. They should be well paid and owners should pay the required bill or not get a pet.
    the veterinary profession isn't that well paid at the moment, certainly compared to Doctors and the working conditions/hours/other benefits are often terrible. It was only when auto-enrolment came in that vets got company pensions and even then they're pretty basic.

There is a very high attrition rate, with many leaving after just a couple of years in practice.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,840

pangolin said:

You'd need a big dustbin to fit a vet in... though that seems rather drastic just because of a large bill...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    The cost per hour of treatment on your bill is generally not that much (certainly compared to a private doctor or a lawyer). They deliberately charge you relatively little for a vets time as otherwise more people would refuse to pay. The practise makes their money on the mark up for the drugs and tests etc i believe.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter
    elbowloh said:

The cost per hour of treatment on your bill is generally not that much (certainly compared to a private doctor or a lawyer). They deliberately charge you relatively little for a vets time as otherwise more people would refuse to pay. The practise makes their money on the mark up for the drugs and tests etc i believe.

Mine charges like a wounded buffalo and drives an open top sports car
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,311
    I think vets around here with a few years experience earn around 45-50k. I suspect any debate about whether this is a decent salary will quickly fall foul of how skewed the forums expectations of earnings are.

Aren't these the sort of skilled folk brexiteers were notionally fine with us welcoming in?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • surrey_commuter

pangolin said:

You'd need a big dustbin to fit a vet in... though that seems rather drastic just because of a large bill...
    Head first a wheelie bin would be big enough - £4.5k is a large bill
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717

elbowloh said:

My mate called his company Rhino Engineering. Thick skinned and charges a lot.
    Drives a Porsche.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey

elbowloh said:

Best thing I ever learned from the chinless wonders I used to work with was never insult anyone with a good value invoice. They wanted the best and so they paid for it, because they're great and successful and that means spending money.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,916
    I have a sister who is a vet. Aparently, in their drive for equality in the profession, a disproportionately large number of females were offered places at vet school over the last 10-15 years or so. Now a lot of them have or are having families and don't want to work full time or the on call shift patterns, and this is a major problem for practices.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,608
    edited July 2021

elbowloh said:

You can always not have the pet. Just possibly, highly qualified professionals should be charging a decent amount when it costs them £100k to qualify.

Or are you a horse owner?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition