The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487

john80 said:

pangolin said:

I've just had my second jab, so in a couple of weeks you can all stop wearing masks, thanks.

(If that seems like an outrageous position to take it's because it is)

Meanwhile the woman next to me in the post jab holding pen has her nose completely out of her mask.

You are going to die. There is no other possible explanation. You should have got in a face to face shouting match to make sure of it.
    I think the good old fashioned British 'tut' would be more appropriate.

Or the silent glare.

Anyway.

This thread summarising all the clever stuff that has avoided us having bodies in the streets is somewhat more hopeful.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Been a busy few days so haven't been keeping up to date on here. Any mention of the mad ex-nurse giving a speech at the anti-vax demo saying that there should be some form of Nuremberg trial for doctors and nurses complicit in the Covid lie and that they should be hung? I can only assume she's had some sort of breakdown.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

I've just had my second jab, so in a couple of weeks you can all stop wearing masks, thanks.

Meanwhile the woman next to me in the post jab holding pen has her nose completely out of her mask.

You are going to die. There is no other possible explanation. You should have got in a face to face shouting match to make sure of it.
    Explanation? I think you mean outcome.

Pretending I am acting as though this will kill me gives you something to argue against, but I'm not so I'm not sure who it is you think you're arguing with.

Some people have been saying that those unfortunate youths who want both jabs but haven't had them yet should take personal responsibility and avoid shops (or wherever) if they want to.

They can hardly avoid going to get the jab though. And even somewhere like that there are people so thoughtless or incompetent that they can't or won't wear one properly.

This is just one example, the premise that 18-35 yr olds should just self isolate for the next 6 weeks is as silly as it was when people suggested old people should do it in 2020. Especially now the alternative is such a small ask.

I didn't think I would have to join these dots quite so slowly for you.

I doubt more than 1% of 18-35 year olds are worried about catching C19. All the ones I know are out in pubs and clubs and have mostly been totally unconcerned throughout this whole pandemic.

I can see an argument for keeping masks for a while to reduce the rate of infection in the population but largely to protect the vulnerable who perhaps can't have the jab or who might get infected despite having had it.

That said if people don't like wearing a mask I don't really care - I don't like them and I don't want them to become the norm. Now it's voluntary there's an argument that making a choice to wear one is normalising it in the long term.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

Pretending I am acting as though this will kill me gives you something to argue against, but I'm not so I'm not sure who it is you think you're arguing with.

Some people have been saying that those unfortunate youths who want both jabs but haven't had them yet should take personal responsibility and avoid shops (or wherever) if they want to.

They can hardly avoid going to get the jab though. And even somewhere like that there are people so thoughtless or incompetent that they can't or won't wear one properly.

This is just one example, the premise that 18-35 yr olds should just self isolate for the next 6 weeks is as silly as it was when people suggested old people should do it in 2020. Especially now the alternative is such a small ask.

I doubt more than 1% of 18-35 year olds are worried about catching C19. All the ones I know are out in pubs and clubs and have mostly been totally unconcerned throughout this whole pandemic.

I can see an argument for keeping masks for a while to reduce the rate of infection in the population but largely to protect the vulnerable who perhaps can't have the jab or who might get infected despite having had it.

That said if people don't like wearing a mask I don't really care - I don't like them and I don't want them to become the norm. Now it's voluntary there's an argument that making a choice to wear one is normalising it in the long term.

I don't care
    I don't like
    I don't want

Nobody wants them DV. Half the population didn't wake up one day in 2020 and go "Yes! Finally! Masks!". This is a common mischaracterisation of the debate.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

I was joking but I seem to have touched a nerve.

• pangolin
    john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

Weak. You weren't joking, unless every post you've made on this topic has been a joke.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • DeVlaeminck
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

I don't care
    I don't like
    I don't want

Nobody wants them DV. Half the population didn't wake up one day in 2020 and go "Yes! Finally! Masks!". This is a common mischaracterisation of the debate.

No I don't like them and I don't want their use to be normalised.

As I say I can see an argument to extend their use until vaccination rates are up - but to protect the genuinely vulnerable from a high rate of infection in the population - not the 18 year olds who typically have not been hiding away obeying social distancing for the last year.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited July 2021

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

I don't care
    I don't like
    I don't want

No I don't like them and I don't want their use to be normalised.

As I say I can see an argument to extend their use until vaccination rates are up - but to protect the genuinely vulnerable from a high rate of infection in the population - not the 18 year olds who typically have not been hiding away obeying social distancing for the last year.
    I will state the obvious here, you’re not seeing the ones who are socially distancing…..as they are distancing.

Go into a care home and you’ll see plenty of people who have been really careful in order to visit loved ones.

It is not all pubs and shops.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Quite frankly I've enjoyed not having a cold in 1-1/2 years, not to mention flu.
    There have been upsides in this pandemic that we should learn from. But won't.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • john80
    pblakeney said:

Quite frankly I've enjoyed not having a cold in 1-1/2 years, not to mention flu.

Wear a mask and limit you contact with others to avoid flu which I have not had in my lifetime or if I did I did not particularly notice. To avoid a cold which I would be surprised if I had once every four years and let's face it I have had worse hang overs. I doubt I am unique in this history of flu or cold like illness. Good luck selling that to the majority as you will need to do more than masks to get a result. The only thing I think could be of benefit is people working from home when they have minor illness rather than spreading it round the office.
  • john80
    pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

Weak. You weren't joking, unless every post you've made on this topic has been a joke.
    If you can't see the sarcasm of a post equating a minor mask infraction to death and a slew of prior posts arguing that people are being a bit over the top with masks then I can't help you.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    john80 said:

pblakeney said:

Wear a mask and limit you contact with others to avoid flu which I have not had in my lifetime or if I did I did not particularly notice. To avoid a cold which I would be surprised if I had once every four years and let's face it I have had worse hang overs. I doubt I am unique in this history of flu or cold like illness. Good luck selling that to the majority as you will need to do more than masks to get a result. The only thing I think could be of benefit is people working from home when they have minor illness rather than spreading it round the office.
    It is a lot easier to minimise infections living a rural life as opposed to being crammed in a rush hour tube.
  • rjsterry

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

I think some of these 18-35s might be a little less blasé when they can only manage three sentences before having to stop for breath.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DeVlaeminck
    rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

I think some of these 18-35s might be a little less blasé when they can only manage three sentences before having to stop for breath.

How common is that?

There are risks in life. I'm sure we are all non drinkers eating 2000 calories of organic whole foods making sure we take time out for an hour's yoga every day?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    john80 said:

pblakeney said:

Again, you are taking your personal experience and assume that everyone else's experience is the same. You'd 100% know if you'd had the flu so you haven't.
    If you haven't had a cold in 4 years then you are the exception, not the rule.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin
    john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

If you can't see the sarcasm of a post equating a minor mask infraction to death and a slew of prior posts arguing that people are being a bit over the top with masks then I can't help you.
    I know you don't actually think I'm going to die - but the point you were making with that 'joke' was bang on trend with the rest of the guff you've posted about masks.

You're still arguing against a point that I don't really think anyone is making. On an individual level any given interaction with a maskless person is very unlikely to be harmful, yes. On a population wide level, remove restrictions and some of these interactions will result in infections... obviously.

Anyway it's been spelled out for you plenty of times now. At least DV had the honesty to say he just didn't want to wear one, rather than pretending he was doing some rainman-esque risk calculations every time he did anything. If the population as a whole was capable of working out their risk effectively, there would be no pandemic.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

How common is that?

There are risks in life. I'm sure we are all non drinkers eating 2000 calories of organic whole foods making sure we take time out for an hour's yoga every day?

2 out of 14 in our office. Don't think it's unusual. That's what they mean by mild symptoms. That was after one jab as well. Not life threatening but doesn't sound much fun.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Mask wearing is probably the most cost effective way of limiting infections and keeping R down, by wearing them it allows far greater freedoms.

To wear one is such a minor imposition and the anger so great that I feel I am missing the true reason for non compliance.
  • DeVlaeminck

Mask wearing is probably the most cost effective way of limiting infections and keeping R down, by wearing them it allows far greater freedoms.

To wear one is such a minor imposition and the anger so great that I feel I am missing the true reason for non compliance.

I don't see any anger.

Not sure non-compliance is the right phrase now - it's no longer law. Of course the govt advises as it does with lots of things - salt intake, exercise, alcohol.

• rick_chasey
    The problem with the no mask bellends is normal behaviour would be to call them out, but then speaking to people, especially without a mask, is even worse for rona transmission, so how you gonna call them out?

So they walk around in ignorance of their p!sspoor behaviour.
  • surrey_commuter

I don't see any anger.

Not sure non-compliance is the right phrase now - it's no longer law. Of course the govt advises as it does with lots of things - salt intake, exercise, alcohol.

you don't think there is anger about mask wearing?

Surely most people are kicking back against being told what to do?
  • surrey_commuter
    as an amusing aside I know somebody who is refusing to get vaccinated and she is angry because a lot of her friends can not hide the fact that they think she is a moron

obviously she has her own exemption for mask wearing and never bothered with social distancing
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,868

The problem with the no mask bellends is normal behaviour would be to call them out, but then speaking to people, especially without a mask, is even worse for rona transmission, so how you gonna call them out?

So they walk around in ignorance of their p!sspoor behaviour.

I think you are confusing your normal behaviour for normal behaviour there.

• rick_chasey
    Possibly.

I often call out bad behaviour as I am usually (though certainly not always) not afraid of the confrontation.
  • rick_chasey

On positive personal news, zwift informed me that I'd done an effort in one of their crit races that means I can put my FTP up to 207w. So only down 30% now on pre-covid. At least I'm in a state where I can actually put a short-ish effort in and not have to spend a day in bed now.

In all seriousness Kingston, isn't turboing even more taxing on the body than just going out for a ride?
  • DeVlaeminck

I don't see any anger.

you don't think there is anger about mask wearing?

Surely most people are kicking back against being told what to do?

No, I see more anger from those frustrated that masks are no longer mandatory.

I'm still wearing one sometimes - at other times not - it's a choice I don't see why I'd be angry at being given choice.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Mask wearing still very high where I am in North Devon.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    pblakeney said:

I have enjoyed it too... however, there is a dark side to it. If you are never exposed to any of the common viruses, your immunity will fade over time and eventually when you will inevitably be exposed, the consequences might be dire.
    I think a middle ground, between having colleagues liberally sneezing in the office and having everyone isolating at the first symptom of anything should be found.
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

On positive personal news, zwift informed me that I'd done an effort in one of their crit races that means I can put my FTP up to 207w. So only down 30% now on pre-covid. At least I'm in a state where I can actually put a short-ish effort in and not have to spend a day in bed now.

In all seriousness Kingston, isn't turboing even more taxing on the body than just going out for a ride?
    I haven't found it so when I've been going around at under 1.5 w/kg for 20 minutes, then graduating to 1.5 - 2 w/kg for half an hour. Means I can watch my HR and power without worrying about anything else. I have been out a few times on the road as well.

I'm at a point as of last week where I'm trying to tax it for short periods, along with some longer gentle exercise to see how much is just lost fitness because of 15 months without being able to do anything much.

Also have wanted to have the ability to stop completely whenever I want, in case of problems. Thankfully not needed that for any serious reason.