Great gel seat!

So as I've aged the first part of my body to give out riding a bike now is my rear side. I'd like to do a distance record for myself this fall but I don't think I can do it without some extra cushion. Can anyone recommend a good gel seat cover for about $20? I ordered one on Amazon that was one of their best sellers and they refunded my order as they were out of stock.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    I do not know of a single serious cyclist who uses a gel seat cover.
    Look at getting a good saddle and a pair of quality bib shorts. Price is a loose guide but not a guarantee.
    Unfortunately everyone is different so while recommendations can point you in the right direction they may well fall short on personal comfort.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Thanks yes I'll be getting some bike shorts first thing. Unfortunately I'll have to go the inexpensive route. Any suggestion for a manufacturer that had a decent cheap model?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    edited September 2020
    Dhb as a start point.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    amrushton said:

Dhb as a start point.

"$20" would suggest not in the UK.
    I'd also suggest that $20 will not be sufficient to resolve this.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    As above - decent shorts (DHB are a good shout), and a saddle that suits you.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,682
    Why do bots always seem to create those weird user names? Bit of a give away.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    What - weird names and not the posts that tead like something out of Cake Stop on ket?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    Everyone is different, but I had the same issues and found a Charge Spoon saddle was the most comfortable for me and as has been said some reasonable padded shorts, not bargain basement.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,004
    Just about everyone beginning to do longer rides gets a sore a&£#, to some extent it’s a lot about toughening up your behind. Get some reasonable bibs and build up the miles with 3+ rides a week. Cream before (& after) rides to avoid chafing.
    Saddles are very personal; lots of barely used ones at bargain prices on Ebay/ Craig’s / Gumtree / classified on this site.