BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    ddraver said:

The concept of "other people" really is totally foreign to you isn't it...

But as we don’t know many pro-Brexit people it is illuminating. Firstly we have to remember it is a political thing not economic so all they had to do was avoid bad optics in the first few months and then people’s attention would move on.

In many ways they got very lucky with Covid
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    If you consider dealing with all the effects of having left the EU as not Brexit any more, I suppose that's all true.
  • kingstongraham
    Not Brexit related, just to do with the consequences of how the Johnson government decided to deal with NI on leaving the EU: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/23/northern-ireland-protocol-boris-johnson-oven-ready-deal-sausage
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,281
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo are you not interested in the consequences of Brexit?

As you can see from my contributions to this thread, I definitely did take an interest even if we rarely agreed. It also formed a material part of my job for a few years.

However from my point of view now it does not have a material impact on me professionally or personally, nor does it appear to be a major issue for this country any longer. You may well disagree with that last bit but that's my view. There are bigger fish to fry (no pin intended) so my interest has waned, as it has for most people.

To me it seems that 'taking an interest' is now more closely linked to people who still want to say 'I told you so' or who still cling to the hope that we can go back to the way it was.
    This is far too on the nose when discussing Brexit not to be a wind up.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    I suspect that the vast majority of the country agree with Stevo.

The reality is, the Protocol is staying, it's staying largely as it is, but it's useful to stir up the ERG/UKIP types with something they can be angry at Europe about without really engaging in and which has no consequences for them.

Perfect Daily Telegraph fodder
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864

I suspect that the vast majority of the country agree with Stevo.

The reality is, the Protocol is staying, it's staying largely as it is, but it's useful to stir up the ERG/UKIP types with something they can be angry at Europe about without really engaging in and which has no consequences for them.

Perfect Daily Telegraph fodder

In many ways the situation in NI perfectly demonstrates that they are anti-EU and not pro-UK
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    ddraver said:

The concept of "other people" really is totally foreign to you isn't it...

Rick asked if I was interested - so a reply from my point of view seems appropriate. Your post shows you haven't read or understood the exchange properly.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

As you can see from my contributions to this thread, I definitely did take an interest even if we rarely agreed. It also formed a material part of my job for a few years.

However from my point of view now it does not have a material impact on me professionally or personally, nor does it appear to be a major issue for this country any longer. You may well disagree with that last bit but that's my view. There are bigger fish to fry (no pin intended) so my interest has waned, as it has for most people.

To me it seems that 'taking an interest' is now more closely linked to people who still want to say 'I told you so' or who still cling to the hope that we can go back to the way it was.
    Have a look at Brian's post on the previous page. I'l quote it here as well:
    "Stevo carefully ignores the fact that the reason for Brexit was that our membership of the EU was scrutinised and debated for forty years. This thread is merely part of the ongoing debate... here's to the next forty years..."

Looks like he is...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

"Stevo carefully ignores the fact that the reason for Brexit was that our membership of the EU was scrutinised and debated for forty years. This thread is merely part of the ongoing debate... here's to the next forty years..."

Looks like he is...
    Your thinking that having an ongoing debate is the same as wanting to back to how it was is odd.

We all know the ship has sailed, and I don't think you'll be able to find a single recent quote from anyone on here about going back to the way it was. But please do say if you find any.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Must confess that I tend to not bother with this thread for weeks/months on end, so I may have missed the bit when Stevo outed himself as a Brexiteer. I thought he was a Remainer, like myself?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Looks like he is...
    Your thinking that having an ongoing debate is the same as wanting to back to how it was is odd.

We all know the ship has sailed, and I don't think you'll be able to find a single recent quote from anyone on here about going back to the way it was. But please do say if you find any.
    OK, so I am I to understand that you don't want it to go back to as it was before? Could have sworn that's what you wanted.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,594

Must confess that I tend to not bother with this thread for weeks/months on end, so I may have missed the bit when Stevo outed himself as a Brexiteer. I thought he was a Remainer, like myself?

Bandwagon. Innit.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Looks like he is...

OK, so I am I to understand that you don't want it to go back to as it was before? Could have sworn that's what you wanted.

Please do quote where I'm arguing that here.
  • Stevo_666

Can't change how I voted Bally, but those who are still trying to get their 'I told you so' t-shirts printed and/or who pine after the good old days of membership just can't accept that lots of people have accepted the decision and moved on.
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

Bandwagon. Innit.
    Don't follow you.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,241
    Stevo_666 said:

Can't change how I voted Bally, but those who are still trying to get their 'I told you so' t-shirts printed and/or who pine after the good old days of membership just can't accept that lots of people have accepted the decision and moved on.
    Moved onto where exactly? Staff shortages and increased friction in trade? F@cking win
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Looks like he is...

CBA to go back through thousands of posts so try answering my question above. It's a yes or a no...
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Looks like he is...

CBA to go back through thousands of posts so try answering my question above. It's a yes or a no...

I'll take that as a 'no'... not least because you won't find I've argued that. So please stop making stuff up.
  • ballysmate
    Stevo_666 said:

But Stevo, surely coming on here to drip like a septic ar5ehole about it will make it all better? It certainly seems to make some feel better.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

But Stevo, surely coming on here to drip like a septic ar5ehole about it will make it all better? It certainly seems to make some feel better.
    Try telling Brian that :smile:
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Looks like he is...

I'll take that as a 'no'... not least because you won't find I've argued that. So please stop making stuff up.
    Have you been taking lessons on question dodging from Rick? I'm just asking you to summarise your previous post into one of the following two options:
    1. I want things to go back to how they were pre Brexit, or
    2. I don't want things to go back to how they were pre Brexit.

There is no wrong answer so don't be scared ;)
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Looks like he is...

Have you been taking lessons on question dodging from Rick? I'm just asking you to summarise your previous post into one of the following two options:

Let's get the timeline right...

You said that we're all arguing on here to reverse Brexit.

I asked you to provide evidence.

You won't.

Who's doing the dodging?

And FTR, I still think Brexit is one of the biggest acts of national self harm in modern times, but we won't be going to back to how it was, warts and all.

Now, where's your evidence of what you accuse Cakestoppers of? Go on, don't be scared.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Looks like he is...

You won't.

Who's doing the dodging?

And FTR, I still think Brexit is one of the biggest acts of national self harm in modern times, but we won't be going to back to how it was, warts and all.

Now, where's your evidence of what you accuse Cakestoppers of? Go on, don't be scared.
    I'm asking you a question as I've already said I CBA to sift through thousands of posts and it's easier to get your view on it direct. ATFQ, as they say.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Looks like he is...

You won't.

Who's doing the dodging?

I'm asking you a question as I've already said I CBA to sift through thousands of posts and it's easier to get your view on it direct. ATFQ, as they say.

Classic Stevo. You don't even seem to have read my reply. If you're going to accuse people of arguing for something, it's up to you to supply evidence - should be easy since we've all been doing it. Try "CBA" in a court of law, and see where it gets you.
  • kingstongraham
    There are no remainers any more.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Looks like he is...

You won't.

Who's doing the dodging?

Classic Stevo. You don't even seem to have read my reply. If you're going to accuse people of arguing for something, it's up to you to supply evidence - should be easy since we've all been doing it. Try "CBA" in a court of law, and see where it gets you.
    This isn't a court of law, Brian.

I'm not accusing you of anything. I've asked you a question to get some clarity on a point. Which you would see if you'd read my post properly.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Looks like he is...

You won't.

Who's doing the dodging?

This isn't a court of law, Brian.

I'm not accusing you of anything. I've asked you a question to get some clarity on a point. Which you would see if you'd read my post properly.
    "And FTR, I still think Brexit is one of the biggest acts of national self harm in modern times, but we won't be going to back to how it was, warts and all."

And of course it isn't a court of law, but expected to be pulled up all the same if you accuse people of stuff they haven't said.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    edited July 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

However from my point of view now it does not have a material impact on me professionally or personally, nor does it appear to be a major issue for this country any longer. You may well disagree with that last bit but that's my view. There are bigger fish to fry (no pun intended) so my interest has waned, as it has for most people.

It's great that you're fortunate enough to be done with it. Do you not think that that might be largely due to your employer being a large multinational business that is already used to trading across different customs and regulatory environments, as well as having the resources to put a team on it for a couple of years.

That's great, but maybe it isn't quite as representative as you suggest.
    I don't know if you are planning to have any work done to your new house (hope that's going through alright) but if you are you'll notice that your money doesn't go as far and everything needs to be ordered extra early.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

However from my point of view now it does not have a material impact on me professionally or personally, nor does it appear to be a major issue for this country any longer. You may well disagree with that last bit but that's my view. There are bigger fish to fry (no pun intended) so my interest has waned, as it has for most people.

It's great that you're fortunate enough to be done with it. Do you not think that that might be largely due to your employer being a large multinational business that is already used to trading across different customs and regulatory environments, as well as having the resources to put a team on it for a couple of years.

That's great, but maybe it isn't quite as representative as you suggest.
    I don't know if you are planning to have any work done to your new house (hope that's going through alright) but if you are you'll notice that your money doesn't go as far and everything needs to be ordered extra early.
    Like I said, I'm speaking from my own personal and professional point of view - which is what Rick was asking about. I did acknowledge other people may have different views on the subject.

(On the house front, we got the structural survey in recently which threw up some issues that need sorting and are sending in specialists to assess and quote for it - so we can try to chip the appropriate amount off the asking price. Does not appear to be a show stopper but best be sure. Otherwise, it's more about getting suitable furniture, curtains, etc to go in it and maybe upgrading the garden sheds).

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Cummunism would have worked if it had just been done properly!!!

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver