Olympics All Format Spoiler Thread

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    Good race that, wasn't certain till the last 3km, despite Boardman's attempt to talk down the excitement.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,202
    Great ride and a bloody good race
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited July 2021
    Well I had Matt & Brian 'as radio' until the top of the climb then the stream all went to sh1t and I ended up with Kiwi Commentry as Rutch-id Care-air pairz went under 1km banner. What the hell happened in the mean time..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited July 2021
    Was that footage on the BBC of Thomas getting to the end and finding everyone else already gone home?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Very happy that Carapaz got that. Well deserved. Proper smart racing and he had the legs.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707
    Forthwith to be referred to as Wout van Arg

(2x Imola, 1x Cross-WC, 1x Japan)
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    From the commentary, Ecuador's second Gold in the history of their Olympic games.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Glad he got it after his efforts at the tour, for which he and his team were wrongfully criticised.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited July 2021

From the commentary, Ecuador's second Gold in the history of their Olympic games.

They've only had two medals of any type before. A gold and a silver by a Walker called Jefferson Perez

Here's Perez on a Japanese comedy show answering the age old question 'If a race walker was chased by Samurai while training how long would it take him to break into a run?'

https://youtu.be/zP7umBNRxnw
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    I would offer some views on the boat sports but I’m not staying up for them
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Radio 5 had Hatch (good) and Pendleton who didn't seem to know thing about road racing but then that's not a surprise as it is like asking Linford Christie to provide in depth analysis of the marathon.

Had to listen in the car, where did Yates finish in the end? It sounded like he did the smart thing and went early knowing he wouldn't outsprint WVA but didn't quite hold him and Pog.
  • kingstongraham
    Motor racing circuits are almost invariably really horrible for bike racing.

(Maybe that one stage that Bennett won at imola was ok. But that's it.)
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    Pross said:

Radio 5 had Hatch (good) and Pendleton who didn't seem to know thing about road racing but then that's not a surprise as it is like asking Linford Christie to provide in depth analysis of the marathon.

Had to listen in the car, where did Yates finish in the end? It sounded like he did the smart thing and went early knowing he wouldn't outsprint WVA but didn't quite hold him and Pog.

Adam was 9th Simon 17th
  • Pross
    So got passed by the whole chase group on the line? Going early was definitely the right call, possibly needed to be further out when others were more likely to hesitate and try to force WVA to chase
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    edited July 2021
    Yeah Yates ended up last in the Pog/WvA group. Decent ride though
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538

Anyone else's commentary just go to Australian?

yep, wtf was that about - tainted the enjoyment of the last 5km for me bringing in an aussie version of kirby.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    What was the 2/3 order. This thread has both as does Cylingnews.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Just checking in from my penthouse by the sea.
    Has anyone given Rick the name of a good grief counsellor yet?

Caught the last 40kms.
    That was one tough old race.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719

What was the 2/3 order. This thread has both as does Cylingnews.

Wva Pog in that order (saw photo not seen official result but looked clear)
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    So all those riders that cut the TdF short or skipped it all together to train for the Olympics....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    edited July 2021
    I had the final 40km on the radio in the car as I have a myriad of nursing home shite to deal with, but sounds like Carapaz picked the right moment to go as all the contenders were looking at WvA?

I’m pleased he won the sprint for silver.

Think Frenchie would feel he deserved silver having been out panached by a strong tactically astute Carapaz (it’s how he won the Giro after all) but WvA did take on the responsibility like a TrueChamp and finished off the best-of-the-rest sprint.

Am I right in thinking he did a lot of the chasing?

I was surprised someone like Mollema didn’t take a flyer but presumably they were all swinging at this point, hence just hanging on for the sprint
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    WvA was forced into doing the chasing as all the rest knew he’d win the sprint.
    It was lead or concede.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    edited July 2021

Great ride and a bloody good race

It was . A decent race.

The thing that struck me as a European cyclist was the combination of Japanese road markings, flat corners that tighten up and deadly storm gutters really drew my eye off the race line . I wouldn't like that. Saw a lot of mid turn breaking on sweepers that were fact tightening corners . Take a while to get used to racing on those roads . Yates did well I thought .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    The Olympic road race is not a chipper
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2021

I had the final 40km on the radio in the car as I have a myriad of nursing home shite to deal with, but sounds like Carapaz picked the right moment to go as all the contenders were looking at WvA?

I’m pleased he won the sprint for silver.

Think Frenchie would feel he deserved silver having been out panached by a strong tactically astute Carapaz (it’s how he won the Giro after all) but WvA did take on the responsibility like a TrueChamp and finished off the best-of-the-rest sprint.

Am I right in thinking he did a lot of the chasing?

I was surprised someone like Mollema didn’t take a flyer but presumably they were all swinging at this point, hence just hanging on for the sprint

He tried but he wasn't escaping from a breakaway bunchon a stage but a lead group full of GC winners and WvA.
  • kingstongraham
    mrfpb said:

So all those riders that cut the TdF short or skipped it all together to train for the Olympics....

True dat
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Yates seemed to be the only one willing to push it on the final race circuit while all the other chasers were wanting to sit on WvA's wheels. When they hit the circuit Carapaz's lead went for 15s to 50+. The other chasers were just not willing to work.

Pog and WvA did all the work in the chase for most of 30km and I'm pleased they picked up the medals, but still a bit disappointed for Adam - not sure if he just timed his final attack poorly or if he was always going to be outrun by Pog and WvA.

• Pross
    r0bh said:

Yeah Yates ended up last in the Pog/WvA group. Decent ride though

5th according to the BBC?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,615
    9th on PCS.