Tour of Britain "it doesn't come past my house" thread

Comments

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Mad_Malx said:

I'll have to console myself by picking a spot for the TdF Grande Depart next year, the TT is all within a 45 minute stroll.

So it’s all round to NTD’s next year. Get the beers in!
    I would like some rødgrød med fløde on the buffet please.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Does anyone know if its being shown live on television?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    wavefront said:

Looks a relatively interesting route to my eye:

It doesn't come past my house but the Warrington stage goes pretty close to my office...

The Aberdeen stage goes over Cairn o'Mount which will be cool as I rode that loads of times when I lived there.

I grew up in Banchory and the Cairn is a beautiful climb - we had snow on it one summer! After 25yrs of working in the south east, we’ve worked out life is too short and we’re literally in the middle of selling up to move back to Deeside.

Did you ever see the cafe at Clatterin Brig open? Every time we’d ever go past it was always shut no matter what time of the day!
    The cafe has always been seasonal. April/May time until the end of September
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited July 2021
    wavefront said:

It doesn't come past my house but the Warrington stage goes pretty close to my office...

The Aberdeen stage goes over Cairn o'Mount which will be cool as I rode that loads of times when I lived there.

I grew up in Banchory and the Cairn is a beautiful climb - we had snow on it one summer! After 25yrs of working in the south east, we’ve worked out life is too short and we’re literally in the middle of selling up to move back to Deeside.

Did you ever see the cafe at Clatterin Brig open? Every time we’d ever go past it was always shut no matter what time of the day!
    Yes! It used to be a popular mid ride stop for us - especially if you approach from the North and then it's the bottom of the descent.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Day six has a romp across the North Pennines.
    The Pennine stage in 2019 was won by a promising young rider called Mathieu van der Poel, who won two more stages and the overall if I remember correctly.
    The nearest point this year is only five miles from home, but of course there is a big hill to climb over to get there. Lots of the route is unfenced moorland roads, so easy to find a spot to spectate, and it's never exactly crowded!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    It is coming past where inturn back at my lunchtime ride. Along about half my old commute and up the local hill climb course. I guess I'll drop down some Stava segments.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Pross said:
    Yer, they've lost the rights to the Vuelta apparently...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    ddraver said:

Pross said:
    darn. Anyway nice the TOB is doing 3 countries, is any other tour doing that many this year?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194
    davidof said:

ddraver said:

Pross said:
    darn. Anyway nice the TOB is doing 3 countries, is any other tour doing that many this year?
    Depends on how you view Basque separatism I guess.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    ddraver said:

Pross said:
    To GCN?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    ddraver said:

Pross said:
    I thought the Vuelta rights were in a package with the Tour?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited July 2021
    I know no more than what Boulting said on his podcast which totalled "ITV have lost the rights to the Vuelta"...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I mean, what's wrong with the fens?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Perfect for bog standard sprint stages.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207

Nothing as long as "close family relationships" is your thing.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

wavefront said:

Yes! It used to be a popular mid ride stop for us - especially if you approach from the North and then it's the bottom of the descent.
    You’re all lucky - only ever saw it open a couple of times!! It’s perhaps like Kinkers, that you know people live there but never actually see anyone around!
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    wavefront said:

wavefront said:

You’re all lucky - only ever saw it open a couple of times!! It’s perhaps like Kinkers, that you know people live there but never actually see anyone around!
    'Kinkers' as in Kincardine O'Neil, the oldest village in Deeside? I know the area very well, as I was a cop in Banchory in the mid/late nineties. Latterly covered Kincardineshire & Deeside in my RP days too. I don't live that way so not too much cycling there, although I did do a loop over Braemar way a few weeks back - the Cairnwell into a block headwind was not fun! Pity the ToB is not going over Glen Shee, as its quite spectacular on the bike, crazy speeds can be reached on the descent!

I was also hoping the last stage would go north from Ballater and over the Lecht, but that would make the stage ridiculously long, with the finish being in Aberdeen.
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    edited July 2021
    Ooh, getting close to mah roots. My dad was a polisman in Aboyne, though that wasn't the late 90s, and I was born in what was then a local hospital in Torphins, think it is still a medical facility.

Getting the urge to get organised and get back up there, not been in Aberdeenshire since 2015.

Update
    Had a ponder, thought 'why not?', can't see my planned WestVlaanderen weekender in September going ahead, Belgian red list etc, so booked my accom for that weekend. And it will be going right past the door.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Would be nice to have something a little more specific than "Cheshire" as the starting point of stage 5. It's a pretty big place...
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    larkim said:

Would be nice to have something a little more specific than "Cheshire" as the starting point of stage 5. It's a pretty big place...

Looking at the detailed route on the website link it finishes in Warrington but the full route isn't published yet (it only shows the final 25km).
  • bobmcstuff

wavefront said:

wavefront said:

'Kinkers' as in Kincardine O'Neil, the oldest village in Deeside? I know the area very well, as I was a cop in Banchory in the mid/late nineties. Latterly covered Kincardineshire & Deeside in my RP days too. I don't live that way so not too much cycling there, although I did do a loop over Braemar way a few weeks back - the Cairnwell into a block headwind was not fun! Pity the ToB is not going over Glen Shee, as its quite spectacular on the bike, crazy speeds can be reached on the descent!

I was also hoping the last stage would go north from Ballater and over the Lecht, but that would make the stage ridiculously long, with the finish being in Aberdeen.
    The Lecht is a great climb. I always wanted to see them race the old 3 Pistes Sportive route - start from Pitclochry over Glenshee, the Lecht, MTF at Cairngorm ski station.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Pross said:

larkim said:

Looking at the detailed route on the website link it finishes in Warrington but the full route isn't published yet (it only shows the final 25km).
    Yep, could either be a long flat ride through the Cheshire plain up to Knutsford for the final 25km into Warrington, or they could ride some of the lumpier stuff around the sandstone ridge in the West or Peak District in the East. Who knows! Quite surprised at this stage they've not even got a starting town identified / confirmed though. Wonder if the Councils are being a touch on the cautious side at the moment (chimes with how they've approached other stuff locally, tbh, with many of Cheshire's parkruns not being approved until relatively late in the process).
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Day 2 goes past the front door of the house I grew up in.
    A lot of familiar roads on Dartmoor that I'm very used to cycling on, will be nice to see how much the pros destroy my times up the climbs.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

A lot of familiar roads on Dartmoor that I'm very used to cycling on, will be nice to see how much the pros destroy my times up the climbs.

I'm there just now. They are resurfacing all the roads with that awful tar and gravel treatment.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

I'm there just now. They are resurfacing all the roads with that awful tar and gravel treatment.
    Devon council are too tight to do anything apart from surface dress the roads, definitely one downside to riding round there.
    Perhaps this is one reason why the route across Dartmoor is sticking to the main roads and hence missing some of the more interesting climbs. Prior to that I see it uses the roads built to handle the lorries from the china clay mines.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    larkim said:

Pross said:

larkim said:

Yep, could either be a long flat ride through the Cheshire plain up to Knutsford for the final 25km into Warrington, or they could ride some of the lumpier stuff around the sandstone ridge in the West or Peak District in the East. Who knows! Quite surprised at this stage they've not even got a starting town identified / confirmed though. Wonder if the Councils are being a touch on the cautious side at the moment (chimes with how they've approached other stuff locally, tbh, with many of Cheshire's parkruns not being approved until relatively late in the process).
    There was talk earlier I. The year that it may start in Congleton again this year. Not heard anything subsequently but it’d be great if it does. The crowds last time around the course when it did start there were massive all day
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Bring back the 2014 route so there can be a non sprint due to the breakaway in my village again