R8000 SS derailleur - will a 32 cassette work?

I'm running R8000 Ultegra 50/34 with an 11-28 cassette and a short cage derailleur. I know the spec says that the max cassette sprocket size is 30T, but is it feasibly possible to use an 11-32?

Asking for a friend....

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    There's claims SS might cope with a 32T, outside of official spec. Pretty sure 30T is official limit.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    30 is the official limit, but Shimano are notoriously conservative... I'd give it a go.

Might need to unwind the B screw a lot but its close enough it probably will work.

If it doesn't, worst case is you need to buy a £40 105 long cage mech to make it work when you need to use it.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    I've just fitted a 12-34 cassette to my bike, it has a R8000 SS rear derailleur.

There was easily enough adjustment in the B screw to clear the largest sprocket. I am running single ring up front though, so I'm actually well within the rated max capacity of the derailleur (35 teeth). At least on a single ring, adding a link or two wasn't an issue, so the derailleur doesn't look overextended on the 34 sprocket, and it's not too slack in the 12.
  • Plenty of ppl using a 32 on an SS without bovver...
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    I tried it on my 6800 set up and it was having none of it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    The pulley cage allows you to adjust the tension, so it's not whether the cage will cope with a 32T sprocket, but whether you are planning on using the big ring with the 32 or not. If you are, then you might want the long cage one (or a smaller cassette).
    Personally, I don't see the point, a 50 x 32 is about the same gear ratio as a 34 x 21-22
    left the forum March 2023