Unpadded mitts

Any recommendations for mitts of the unpadded variety? Haven't quite graduated to the pro look of no mitts but find padding usually creates more discomfort than it solves.

Got a pair of Galibier ones at the moment which are OK but would like to get a different pair. My go to ones were always Giro Zeros but they don't seem to last very long, although I think the latest ones have moved to a synthetic palm which may be better. Any others I should be looking at?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I've got a couple of pairs of unpadded Supacaz SupaG gloves, they're really comfortable. They loosen up slightly after a few times of wearing, so look for them to be slightly tight at first.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    The £5 PlanetX TT gloves are as good as unpadded.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

normally i'm a gloveless kinda guy but have been looking at those.....

any idea on sizing? l/xl has the potential to start snug and after 3 rides turn into a pair of Marigolds, s/m i feel will be just too small.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited July 2021
    MattFalle said:

any idea on sizing? l/xl has the potential to start snug and after 3 rides turn into a pair of Marigolds, s/m i feel will be just too small.
    I'm ~8.5cm across the palm side of my knuckles and ~11.5cm from centre of palm side crease at wrist to crease at bottom of middle finger. ~20cm to middle finger tip. My hands aren't exactly big!

Sm/Med fits me just, ok to put on, but taking them off after an hour or so ride can be fun. :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Honest question - what is the point of these?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    In those rare years when we get a summer and you go riding up a lot of hills they stop your sweaty hands slipping around.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    webboo said:

In those rare years when we get a summer and you go riding up a lot of hills they stop your sweaty hands slipping around.

+ if you happen to fall off for whatever reason.

Although I prefer padded, but still......
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited July 2021
    Fair enough.

I’ve not really experienced that.

Is that not a bar tape issue?
  • webboo
    No I prefer to ride with no mitts but if I’m on the drops a lot or doing a lot of climbing. My hands get sore on the side bellow my little finger and on my palms regardless of the make or style of bar tape.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

I'm ~8.5cm across the palm side of my knuckles and ~11.5cm from centre of palm side crease at wrist to crease at bottom of middle finger. ~20cm to middle finger tip. My hands aren't exactly big!

Sm/Med fits me just, ok to put on, but taking them off after an hour or so ride can be fun. :D
    grazie!
  • MattFalle

Honest question - what is the point of these?

as above re sweat plus for those who want it some crash protection.

i personally don't like padding on my gloves or 'bars but also aren't a total fan of #slippyhands
  • What’s the point? Well, I’ve twice come off my bike, looked down and seen the palm of one of my gloves utterly shredded - in one crash there was nothing left of it. Had I not been wearing them, that would have been MY palm that was shredded.

I’m a big fan of the unpadded Pearl Izumi PRO Pittards. But the last pair was tricky to track down, and that was a couple of years ago. I’ve just worn through the palm on one of them, so I’m off looking for some unpadded summer mitts too now.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    edited July 2021
    I have a pair of Exteondo mitts which are almost unpadded. They have a thin layer of foam over the palm/fingers and not thickening on the usual pressure points. I have a look for them but they don't seem to do them anymore.

Etxeondo Pas Short Finger Gloves

You may find old stock. I like them.
  • webboo
    These are the ones I wear if I wear any. They were padded 20 years ago.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    webboo said:

These are the ones I wear if I wear any. They were padded 20 years ago.

I'm sure they smell delightful!

Think Rick's question has been answered by others - sweat/nose wipe is the main reason plus a bit of crash protection for the palms.

Couple of others I've found - Gore C7 Pro and Assos Aero (£££).

Tempted to try another pair of the Giros TBH, the latest Zero CS mitts are meant to be machine washable (the old ones definitely weren't).
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    I have some Boardman mitts that have very thin foam padding. No bulky gel sacks etc. Relatively cheap and at halfords

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-clothing/cycling-gloves/boardman-mens-mitts-281734.html

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.