Tour of Britain "it doesn't come past my house" thread

bobmcstuff
bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
Looks a relatively interesting route to my eye:

It doesn't come past my house but the Warrington stage goes pretty close to my office...

The Aberdeen stage goes over Cairn o'Mount which will be cool as I rode that loads of times when I lived there.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    For the second time ever...kinda...it goes right past my* door

(*grandpa raver's)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,599
    Looks like an Ali G style race

The west side is da best side
  • bobmcstuff

Looks like an Ali G style race

The west side is da best side

Unless you're Scottish - East side is da best.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593

The Aberdeen stage goes over Cairn o'Mount which will be cool as I rode that loads of times when I lived there.

I worked Aberdeen for a while and thought I'd stop off on the way down to ride it.
    Much harder than the profile suggested. Especially as it was after a Friday night out with the work. It was a long drive that followed...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff
    pblakeney said:

I worked Aberdeen for a while and thought I'd stop off on the way down to ride it.
    Much harder than the profile suggested. Especially as it was after a Friday night out with the work. It was a long drive that followed...
    Yeah it's a classic - 3.4km at nearly 10%, but that masks some steeper pitches. Which way did you ride it, South to North (from Clattering Bridge), or North to South? South to North is the "classic" side I think (that's the way the ToB is going).

I did 7 reps of it once :p
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Wish Hampshire's South Downs would get a stage charging through the hills, there's some decent small climbs, but so many of the roads and climbs need the surface sorting out by the councils.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Useless, doesn't come anywhere near me...
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    Really looking forward to this as I do the Cairn several times a month (both ways) it being my local big climb. My mate had the KOM for a while recently, until it was taken by another youngster from Aberdeen. Last I checked I think I'm in the 200 and somethings, not too bad out of several thousand folk, but guess I'll plummet further when the ToB comes through!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • pblakeney
    edited July 2021

pblakeney said:

Yeah it's a classic - 3.4km at nearly 10%, but that masks some steeper pitches. Which way did you ride it, South to North (from Clattering Bridge), or North to South? South to North is the "classic" side I think (that's the way the ToB is going).

South to North. Minor detour off the A90.
    Edit - After looking at a map to correct my stupidity. Fettercairn to Bridge of Dye and back.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    It must be tricky for them to do a route without even creeping in to Yorkshire.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 138
    Comes near me in Carmarthenshire taking in chunks of my regular/daily rides... but on a day I will be in work :(

I notice they're riding down the steep hill, the wusses ;)
  • bobmcstuff
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

South to North. Minor detour off the A90. Actually, both if Clattering Bridge is the bottom at the other side. I turned round there.
    Yeah South to North starting from Clattering Bridge is the classic side. North to South (from Bridge of Dye - Banchory way) is still a nice climb but it's more rolling. If you came off the A90 I guess it was the South side (when I did those reps I drove down the a90 and parked there too. Just looked - 7 years ago!)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    gsk82 said:

It must be tricky for them to do a route without even creeping in to Yorkshire.

Scotland is the new Yorkshire innit.
  • pblakeney
    edited July 2021

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

South to North. Minor detour off the A90. Actually, both if Clattering Bridge is the bottom at the other side. I turned round there.
    Yeah South to North starting from Clattering Bridge is the classic side. North to South (from Bridge of Dye - Banchory way) is still a nice climb but it's more rolling. If you came off the A90 I guess it was the South side (when I did those reps I drove down the a90 and parked there too. Just looked - 7 years ago!)
    ^^^ I edited my post before seeing this. Fettercairn to Bridge of Dye and back.
    I was going to guess at 2014 too. Turns out it was 6th August 2011! 😱😱😱
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    edited July 2021
    It feels unusual for it to have stages in England, Scotland and Wales on the same year. Nothing particularly close for me. I need to have a proper look at the Llandudno - Aberaeron stage, it's a bit of a trek but could have some good climbs

Edit - looked at it and it is the Queen stage running south to north and finishing up the Great Orme. Shame they couldn't route it via Devil's Staircase or the Bwlch y Groes though.

The stages seem longer than usual, that stage is 215km, could be down to the ToB usually showing stage lengths in miles I suppose but over 200km feels lengthy in any race.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    It's bloody rubbish and doesn't come within several hundred miles of my house *sulks*.

I'll have to console myself by picking a spot for the TdF Grande Depart next year, the TT is all within a 45 minute stroll.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Pross said:

It feels unusual for it to have stages in England, Scotland and Wales on the same year. Nothing particularly close for me. I need to have a proper look at the Llandudno - Aberaeron stage, it's a bit of a trek but could have some good climbs

Edit - looked at it and it is the Queen stage running south to north and finishing up the Great Orme. Shame they couldn't route it via Devil's Staircase or the Bwlch y Groes though.

That final climb will be a bit of a sting right at the end :smiley: at least it flattens out for them near the top.
    Although I've cycled it a few times so it can't be that bad really.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    First time they visit Cornwall, and they're going right by the house :)
    Will probably take a bimble out though to either of the first 2 CAT3s. May see something other than a blur as they blast past the house.

Rather looking forward to the moaning from some of the locals when the roads get closed >:)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    I can probably count on two hands the amount of days I I have spent on the Western half of Britain, and on one hand the amount of days in Scotland so humpf

• bobmcstuff

I can probably count on two hands the amount of days I I have spent on the Western half of Britain, and on one hand the amount of days in Scotland so humpf

Missing out...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    I’m not saying it’s a good thing.
  • bobmcstuff
    To be fair one of the best places in the whole world is the north west coast of Scotland and the ToB isn't going there either.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    Nice for it to go on holiday
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Can't believe stage 4 bypasses Ffordd Pen Llech :D , Bwlch y Groes (from the south) and Hirnant Pass... In fact I'd probably send them up Horseshoe Pass from the bottom of Hirnant, then into Denbigh to tackle Road To Hell and then head north again towards Llandudno.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993

I'll have to console myself by picking a spot for the TdF Grande Depart next year, the TT is all within a 45 minute stroll.

So it’s all round to NTD’s next year. Get the beers in!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    ddraver said:

For the second time ever...kinda...it goes right past my* door

(*grandpa raver's)

• wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

It doesn't come past my house but the Warrington stage goes pretty close to my office...

I grew up in Banchory and the Cairn is a beautiful climb - we had snow on it one summer! After 25yrs of working in the south east, we’ve worked out life is too short and we’re literally in the middle of selling up to move back to Deeside.

Did you ever see the cafe at Clatterin Brig open? Every time we’d ever go past it was always shut no matter what time of the day!
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    A couple of times recently it has come right past my door but we have been away so missed it. This year we will be at home and it comes nowhere near us!!!!

Let's hope they have the Llandudno goats under control.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    wavefront said:

I grew up in Banchory and the Cairn is a beautiful climb - we had snow on it one summer! After 25yrs of working in the south east, we’ve worked out life is too short and we’re literally in the middle of selling up to move back to Deeside.

Did you ever see the cafe at Clatterin Brig open? Every time we’d ever go past it was always shut no matter what time of the day!
    I've been in there, although must be 20-25 years ago. Had family in Laurencekirk and it was a favourite place of theirs to go for lunch