Wout van Aert appreciation thread

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
    ddraver said:

Ooof

Chasey's love of Wout Vs Chasey's dislike of podium children

He'd hate the the GC podium then. loads of kids and only one definite adult... :wink:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Big up to Rick and his main man: big phat hat.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    ddraver said:

Ooof

not just podium children but any children. distasteful things.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,570
    ddraver said:

Ooof

Was busy bathing my own child to watch!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    To win a mountain stage, a TT and a bunch sprint in one Tour takes a very special rider. I think Merckx did it, possibly Hinault, but there can't be many who've achieved that.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Not just a bunch sprint but the bunch sprint.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    andyp said:

To win a mountain stage, a TT and a bunch sprint in one Tour takes a very special rider. I think Merckx did it, possibly Hinault, but there can't be many who've achieved that.

pblakeney said:

Not just a bunch sprint but the bunch sprint.

In 1979 Hinault won two TTs, 2 or 3 mountain stages, and 2 or 3 flatter stages, one of which was the final stage (the bunch sprint) on the Champs-Elysees.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    edited July 2021
    jimmyjams said:

In 1979 Hinault won two TTs, 2 or 3 mountain stages, and 2 or 3 flatter stages, one of which was the final stage (the bunch sprint) on the Champs-Elysees.

But in 1979 it wasn't a bunch sprint. It was just him and Zoetemelk in a breakaway. And the stage classified as a mountain stage was actually a 13 man sprint.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

To think that the UK get Null Points at Eurovision.

There is a reason for this, and it's nothing to do with music.
    you obviously missed this years excretion that was the UK's entry....

I thought it was OK - well in Eurovision terms anyway I'm not rushing out to buy it on 45 - one of the better entries.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

I thought it was OK - well in Eurovision terms anyway I'm not rushing out to buy it on 45 - one of the better entries.
    are we talking about the same fat lad screeching along dressed like he was going to Edwyn's to buy some toilet bleach with two superimposed trumpets fliating above him?

even he said it wasshite and he wrote and sang it.
  • jimmyjams
    RichN95. said:

jimmyjams said:

But in 1979 it wasn't a bunch sprint. It was just him and Zoetemelk in a breakaway. And the stage classified as a mountain stage was actually a 13 man sprint.
    I bow to your better knowledge. Still, to win the last stage on the Champs-Elysees remains something special, irrespective how achieved.
    Did Hinault ever explain why he broke away from the peloton that day?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    Cos Zoetemelk did...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    RichN95. said:

The post I quoted literally said "Ca plane pour moi" . I assumed that this was seen as Belgium's greatest track.

Just off the top of my head: Jacques Brel, Jonny Halliday, Stromae, Axelle Red
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,221
    davidof said:

RichN95. said:

The post I quoted literally said "Ca plane pour moi" . I assumed that this was seen as Belgium's greatest track.

Just off the top of my head: Jacques Brel, Jonny Halliday, Stromae, Axelle Red
    Johnny Hallyday is a bit of a stretch isn't it? Born in Paris to a French mum and Belgian dad who left after a few months, brought up by an aunt in Paris and tried for ten years to get Belgian citizenship to avoid French tax but failed because he couldn't prove a strong enough link.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    ddraver said:

Cos Zoetemelk did...

I guess that answers the earlier question in the other thread about what would happen if somebody tried an attack on the last day. Also refer to the comment by Bernard that every day is a race day, including into Paris.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • jimmyjams
    ddraver said:

Cos Zoetemelk did...

But that wasn't the case acc to Wikipedia:

There were a few escape attempts early in the stage including by Thurau and Zoetemelk, who was trying to get away from Hinault. At 124 kilometers into the stage Hinault left everyone behind and only Zoetemelk went off in pursuit. It took him four kilometers to catch Hinault.

I can understand Zoetemelk's early attempts, but Hinault didn't have to escape and leave everyone behind at all, he had a 3-min lead. So why?
    I suppose the answer is simply 'So was Hinault', with an accompanying French shrug.
  • rick_chasey
    jimmyjams said:

ddraver said:

Cos Zoetemelk did...

But that wasn't the case acc to Wikipedia:

There were a few escape attempts early in the stage including by Thurau and Zoetemelk, who was trying to get away from Hinault. At 124 kilometers into the stage Hinault left everyone behind and only Zoetemelk went off in pursuit. It took him four kilometers to catch Hinault.

I can understand Zoetemelk's early attempts, but Hinault didn't have to escape and leave everyone behind at all, he had a 3-min lead. So why?
    I suppose the answer is simply 'So was Hinault', with an accompanying French shrug.
    One way to make sure your rivals don't get any time on you is getting time on them.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

are we talking about the same fat lad screeching along dressed like he was going to Edwyn's to buy some toilet bleach with two superimposed trumpets fliating above him?

I'm trying to work out if that should say "floating" or "fellating"
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

I'm trying to work out if that should say "floating" or "fellating"
    tbh, i wrote it but i think you have chosen better england to replace my hideous spelling caused by small telephone & Cumberland sausage fingers.
  • RichN95.
    There was a rider who retired not so long ago, who at various Tours won:

A flat finish sprint stage
    An uphill finish sprint stage
    A time trial stage
    A team time trial stage
    A cobbled stage
    A medium mountain stage and
    A high mountain stage

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    RichN95. said:

There was a rider who retired not so long ago, who at various Tours won:

A flat finish sprint stage
    An uphill finish sprint stage
    A time trial stage
    A team time trial stage
    A cobbled stage
    A medium mountain stage and
    A high mountain stage

The God of Thunder?
  • RichN95.
    Indeed
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
    I was going to suggest him a while ago, but didn't know he won a TT. Was it a prologue?
  • RichN95.

I was going to suggest him a while ago, but didn't know he won a TT. Was it a prologue?

Yes. 2006. The next day he got his arm cut by one of those big hands being waved in the crowd.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    A mountain stage, which doesn't finish on top of a mountain, has an asterisk against it.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    I can’t remember Hushovd winning a maintain stage but his main problem was his threat diminished substantially over 200km.

Never won a monument
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
    edited July 2021

I can’t remember Hushovd winning a maintain stage but his main problem was his threat diminished substantially over 200km.

Never won a monument

When he won the worlds it was 260km.

He was my PTP pick when he won on a mountain stage, so I remember it well. Dropped on the climb by one rider, caught him on the descent and then soloed to victory.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    It was a properly #Epic ride that...

True Viking Grit
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    My memory is playing up as I thought Hushovd won his medium mountain stage in the Vosges but it was down in the Drome.

The high mountain stage was from Pau to Lourdes but was a classic breakaway stage - lumpy with the Aubisque just after half way as the only major climb.

I also thought he'd beaten Cav to green several times but again my memory was playing up.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,221
    How would you classify stage 7 in 2020? Crosswinds, but classic Sagan stage with a sprint at the end but a big long climb in the middle after a sharp climb near the start.