Has this in my inbox yesterday... https://www.teamefcoaching.com/

Starts at $4,680/yr though if you pay for a year upfront :o

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    free power meter tho ;)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Hooray! And Rapha CC membership if you take the premium option...

I think they missed a bit of a trick with their Whoop tie in - should have chucked that it, it's cheap monthly compared to this and then you can say it's a more holistic process etc etc etc (whether it actually is or not).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    If they use Uran's high altitude climbing programme I'd give it a miss.
  • dish_dash
    Pross said:

If they use Uran's high altitude climbing programme I'd give it a miss.

To be fair, his was been a low altitude programme. His wife gave birth in Miami in the run up to the tour so he was training out there for a while....

Though I suspect quite a few Miami residents would be up for the EF coaching programme..
  • dish_dash
    At that price they only need a couple of thousand people to sign up to have a decent impact upon their budget.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Thing is you know there are people who are going to do this. In many cases they will be people who could gain significant performance improvements by eating fewer pies / drink less beer but they fork out for the best kit instead and will lap up being 'coached by a World Tour team'.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Wonder if their riders will sign up. Could certainly use it...
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Pross said:

Thing is you know there are people who are going to do this. In many cases they will be people who could gain significant performance improvements by eating fewer pies / drink less beer but they fork out for the best kit instead and will lap up being 'coached by a World Tour team'.

we all know that shitloads of clubbies, dentists and accountants will use this.

they've hit a goldmine and every other team will be offering this service by next year.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited July 2021
    dish_dash said:

At that price they only need a couple of thousand people to sign up to have a decent impact upon their budget.

They said they were budgeting on 100-150 I think - that's five hundred grand or so which is meaningful for EF.
  • bobmcstuff
    Pross said:

I would if I had five grand a year which I could spunk up the wall.

I will never drink less beer.
  • bobmcstuff
    MattFalle said:

Pross said:

they've hit a goldmine and every other team will be offering this service by next year.
    I bet they won't be.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

I bet they won't be.
    i bet they will be.

its easy money plus then they can add on extras - "join the coaching team" (because that's what they will call it because it appeals to the kind of people who go for thisshit) "and get a coaching team kit for only £x. Supertechnical material designed to breathe with your body to make the most of your new found fitness"

and it'll cost a flippin' fortune.

so, you'll have outdoor kit, indoor kit, casual wear, recommended gels and stuff.

mate, its a mega market just waiting to be exploited.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    If I had the money - enough that I didn't care about 5-6k - why not ?

If it takes off they could be on to a good thing - they could offer training holidays - make it an extension of the team - you'd be part of a cycling community.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle

If it takes off they could be on to a good thing - they could offer training holidays - make it an extension of the team - you'd be part of a cycling community.

exactly

you pay to go to one of their residential training camps set up for the bods who are paying for coaching, they lay on soigneurs, mechanics, a couple of the pros are there, lectures on training, nutrition, bike fits, mechanics bits, etc etc..

charge a wedge but people will pay for it as it will make them feel special.

plus the chance to buy more kit.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    edited July 2021
    MattFalle said:

exactly

you pay to go to one of their residential training camps set up for the bods who are paying for coaching, they lay on soigneurs, mechanics, a couple of the pros are there, lectures on training, nutrition, bike fits, mechanics bits, etc etc..

Rapha have already tried this.
    They were fortunate/lucky to bail out of the market before the chaos of 2020.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

exactly

and now its all opening up again its going to go barmy busy.

Summer '22 will be mad hectic.
  • MattFalle
    plus don't forget all the indoor training related stuff they shift over this winter:

special lube for your chain for indoor trainers!

specially designed gels for indoor trainining!

indoor training specific isotonic drinks!

indoor embrocation!

its all only a step on from special tyres for your turbo trainer and that Wahoo desk to put your laptop on.

Cyclist mag would spaff themselves.

indoor specific kit has already been done so they've missed a trick unfortunately.
  • norrinradd
    norrinradd Posts: 22
    Just don't sign up for the Lachlan Morton tier.
    One training plan - ride your bike for 16 hours a day minimum (sandals optional)
  • pblakeney
    MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

exactly

I think you missed my point. They gave up prior to 2020.
    Presumably they couldn't find enough mugs to cough up the exorbitant prices.
    I assume other, lower priced, less fancy dancy companies will do well (I've booked mine).
    EF will go the way of Rapha.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I happened across a rapha ride in Derbyshire once. They had their own coffee van as a support vehicle - I must say they were really nice gave me a free coffee and a pastry .
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

exactly

I assume other, lower priced, less fancy dancy companies will do well (I've booked mine).
    Rapha have a set demographic and are a Marmite brand - as can be seen on these pages only too frequently.

I reckon EF will be alright.
  • pblakeney
    MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

exactly

Rapha have a set demographic and are a Marmite brand - as can be seen on these pages only too frequently.

I reckon EF will be alright.
    You do know that EF kit is Rapha, right?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • MattFalle
    And? So what?

people are buying into EF, not Rapha.

Its all about the marketing, innit.

Tbh, if they dropped all Rapha references they'd probably sell more of it.

Market it as "in house super top secret developed by the highest laboratories" etc etc.

it would be like hot cakes to the clubberatie
  • pblakeney
    Yeahbut EF don't actually have anything to sell.
    It is all supplied kit.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    A friend of mine coaches ultra runners. I don't really get it, but then my 100km PB is around 12km, so clearly I'm not the target market.

Anyway, she seems to have customers. Not sure if it is due to her significant achievements in the sport or whether people just like to have a coach, but it seems similar to EF offering coaching. More money involved in cycling though.
  • bobmcstuff

A friend of mine coaches ultra runners. I don't really get it, but then my 100km PB is around 12km, so clearly I'm not the target market.

Anyway, she seems to have customers. Not sure if it is due to her significant achievements in the sport or whether people just like to have a coach, but it seems similar to EF offering coaching. More money involved in cycling though.

I think having significant achievements in the sport helps... people hoping it'll rub off on them...

There are lots of cycling coaches out there, and many of them approaching EF's offering in price. So EF has to offer "something else". Meaningful engagement with the team would be something you don't get from a regular coach - I guess I'd be a bit wary of how much you'd actually get.
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

It is all supplied kit.

blimey. seriously?

if there is money to be made they will supply stuff to sell.

rapha sell to ef specifically for this.

ef sell to punter specifically for this.

ef and rapha have separate deal for team kit.

its called business.
  • pblakeney
    MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

It is all supplied kit.

blimey. seriously?

if there is money to be made they will supply stuff to sell.

rapha sell to ef specifically for this.

ef sell to punter specifically for this.

ef and rapha have separate deal for team kit.

its called business.
    Go to the EF website. Click on shopping. It takes you to the Rapha website.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

I think having significant achievements in the sport helps... people hoping it'll rub off on them...

There are lots of cycling coaches out there, and many of them approaching EF's offering in price. So EF has to offer "something else". Meaningful engagement with the team would be something you don't get from a regular coach - I guess I'd be a bit wary of how much you'd actually get.
    Yes, being famous must help. I assumed it would help EF too which was might point I was making.
  • bobmcstuff
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

I bet they won't be.
    i bet they will be.

its easy money plus then they can add on extras - "join the coaching team" (because that's what they will call it because it appeals to the kind of people who go for thisshit) "and get a coaching team kit for only £x. Supertechnical material designed to breathe with your body to make the most of your new found fitness"

and it'll cost a flippin' fortune.

so, you'll have outdoor kit, indoor kit, casual wear, recommended gels and stuff.

mate, its a mega market just waiting to be exploited.
    I would put money on the fact that the other teams won't be jumping on board this particular bandwagon. I would be surprised if by this time next year even one other team has started doing something similar.

The big budget teams have no need to for a start, and probably don't want their coaches and staff distracted.