Post of the Tour 2021

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited June 2021 in Pro race
Well, since nobody can be arsed, I will reuse my mistakenly posted thread to start this annual event.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    edited June 2021
    I am going to kick off proceedings with this, which amidst all the carnage, yesterday, made me smile.

6 months preparation and 100k of equipment wiped out by the bottom of a cardboard box

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    mrb123 said:

"Come on Grandad-Granny" apparently.

Daft woman.
    Yes, Valverde wouldn't have been able to read the sign with her holding it that way.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    RichN95. said:

A headline of Cycling News "Tour de France's youngest rider Wright finds his feet amidst crashes". That must have been a hell of a crash

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312

flite said:

BBC radio4 did report Cav's win, and played the post-race interview.
    But the total domination of football is ridiculous.

I went shopping yesterday about 7:30 and there were quite a few people about obviously worse for wear after celebrating his stage win.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    I'm nominating this, for its devastating simplicity

So their aims are, in order:

1 stop carapaz
    2 the team prize no-one else cares about
    3 getting as high on gc as possible
    4 stage wins from riders who then go somewhere else

You've overlooked their primary role as the pantonmime villain for this forum.
    Oh no it isn't
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    womack said:

Pross said:

Does Movistar have a big market in Slovenia? That's twice they've helped out the Slovenian favourites when they were under pressure

Beef with carapaz ?.
    Do you have the recipe?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Not the best post but easily the best caption of the T de F...

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Pross said:

I think this thread has proved that no-one really likes the Tour.

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    This thread hasn't received much love :disappointed:

I'm particularly disappointed my video of Bjarne Riis in a farty chair didn't get a nomination.
  • blazing_saddles
    Either we are becoming grumpy old folks or a side effect of Covid isn't just a loss of taste and smell, but humour too.
    This won't be on my list of threads to do, next year.

Bjarne Riis in a farty chair sounded just like a dog whistle to me. :/
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    The stage threads have lost a lot of their whimsy these days. This is a symptom of the same thing... 😕
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Eurosport player no longer let's me choose moto 2. That's ruined the experience.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    ddraver said:

The stage threads have lost a lot of their whimsy these days. This is a symptom of the same thing... 😕

I knocked it off a bit as I was a bit worried I was basically becoming Colin Hunt from the Fast Show, although I don't really do whimsy.

I'm not sure it was a tour that leant itself to it though - there wasn't something like boar man, none of the teams were spectacularly inept (dull and anonymous, sure, but that's not much of a punchline), there wasn't a cult hero stepping forth, the racing itself became a bit samey... The number of riders succumbing to Tokyo Syndrome made it feel like there was something similar going on in the peloton.

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    It was all over after the Ven Toux post
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243

ddraver said:

I knocked it off a bit as I was a bit worried I was basically becoming Colin Hunt from the Fast Show, although I don't really do whimsy.

I'm not sure it was a tour that leant itself to it though - there wasn't something like boar man, none of the teams were spectacularly inept (dull and anonymous, sure, but that's not much of a punchline), there wasn't a cult hero stepping forth, the racing itself became a bit samey... The number of riders succumbing to Tokyo Syndrome made it feel like there was something similar going on in the peloton.

It was a bit of a po-faced tour wasn’t it?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    It must have been worse than I thought.
    Rich even got bored of the PTP after Stage 17. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224

ddraver said:

It was a bit of a po-faced tour wasn’t it?

Not allowed to say that anymore. Upsets those with po-faces.

Ide Schelling, was on the verge of becoming a cult hero, before I suspect he got knackered after that first week, like so many others…
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Schelling was good value.
    I wonder if it was a bit po-faced as the racing was so hard? Normally we have to make our own entertainment in the looooong dull bits, but with every break taking hours to form and then being half the peloton it was difficult to even get a breather to spot cows. Are hard races not as funny?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    I made this one day when it was a bit dull, should probably have posted it if that's what we were missing.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited July 2021
    Possibly, although I fear mid 2010's Pro Race would never have allowed itself to be distracted by good racing...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I tried to inject the whimsy folks. But it was a tough crowd this year.
    Correlation is not causation.