TDF 2021: Stage 19, Mourenx > Libourne 207 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    Weird explanation
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    ddraver said:

Statement from UAE across the line too...

What was that?
  • mididoctors
    ddraver said:

Statement from UAE across the line too...

What did they do ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

It wasn't "Omerta", it was "stop talking sheet". His post stage interview was very good.

But how many are going to watch the explanation and how many are just going to interpret the photos considering the history and recent events.

If I was the team PR person I'd be livid.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202

The team sat at the front in charge perhaps?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309

It wasn't "Omerta", it was "stop talking sheet". His post stage interview was very good.

But how many are going to watch the explanation and how many are just going to interpret the photos considering the history and recent events.

If I was the team PR person I'd be livid.
    Oh it was stupid to do, and yeah, if I was the team PR I wouldn't be happy. But "omerta" is a very specific interpretation - silencing witnesses - whereas "shut your mouth" is a far more universal concept and uses the same zip gesture. While he should probably have thought about how saying "stop talking sheet about me" would have caused *more* talking about him I doubt "Omerta" even crossed his mind

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Trek made a mess of that considering their numbers in the break.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,465
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    gsk82 said:

What's that about then?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    gsk82 said:
    As if the stage wins weren't enough we now know Cav is back to his old self!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550

If there were other sprinters confident they had a decent chance it’d be a sprint.

It’s all on one team so they can’t control it all the time.

Especially as one of them rides like he’s tigger so he’s spent on the flat days

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Allez Ja Ja

🐯🐯🐯🐯🐯
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Just watched this.

A lot of tired legs in that break.

Was a bit weird to watch
  • DeVlaeminck
    So Cav's little tantrum was pre stage - looks like the headset was too tight or too loose, in Cav's mind at least, from the way he turns the bars then slams the front end down.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    And he'd put on his special party suit too.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    larkim said:

And he'd put on his special party suit too.

Probably just manufactured a scene because he realised he'd forgotten to go for a pee beforehand.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    9 out of 18 road stages have been won by the breakaway this year. Is this more than usual?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    mrfpb said:

9 out of 18 road stages have been won by the breakaway this year. Is this more than usual?

Yes, much more. There are usually 3 or 4 stages that are definitively targeted for breaks, plus a chance at a high mountain stage or tricky to control sprint stage if you get lucky. UAE haven't wanted to control many stages as Sky used to, and only DQS have shown much commitment to controlling sprint stages.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Also worth noting that Jumbo last year controlled pretty much everything, looking for time bonuses on mountain stages and van Aert in sprints
  • mididoctors
    Lot of tantrums in the bunch yesterday .
  • mididoctors
    Cav being a d1ck . Good sign for Paris
  • DeVlaeminck
    I wonder if he wanted the team to control for a sprint and had been told no - pure speculation of course - I can't imagine the problem with the bike was significant the mechanic seemed to hand it him as if to say see what you think.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited July 2021
    mrfpb said:

9 out of 18 stages were also won from the breakaway in last September's Tour, too.
    6 or 7 in 2019, depending how you view the truncated Tignes stage.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

mrfpb said:

9 out of 18 stages were also won from the breakaway in last September's Tour, too.
    Weird, feels like far more than other years
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited July 2021

mrfpb said:

That's why I checked.
    I too thought it was an anomaly, but then Kamna and Hirschi came into my head....

I doubt it was more than 3, back when US Postal were ruling the roost.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

mrfpb said:

That's why I checked.
    I too thought it was an anomaly, but then Kamna and Hirschi came into my head....

I doubt it was more than 3, back when US Postal were ruling the roost.
    But re. Tignes 2019, would you class Bernal's attack as winning from the break (if he'd gone on to win the full stage)? That doesn't quite feel right imo. Not sure I could tell you a definitive difference between an attack and a break though
  • Pross
    Yeah, my first thought was that there were a lot last year. I think it is probably higher than in recent years where the likes of Sky controlled the mountain stages and there were string sprint teams but my memory of my early Tours (late 80s / early 90s) are of breakaway wins being fairly common, especially in the second and third weeks.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Fewer MTFs?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    What are we counting as a breakaway win in the mountains by the way? Reaching the final climb ahead of the yellow jersey group?