The apostrophe, please read

The apostrophe has two functions: it marks possession, and it is used in contractions to indicate the place where the letters have been omitted.

That's it
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    There are three a's in your name.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

The apostrophe has two functions: it marks possession, and it is used in contractions to indicate the place where the letters have been omitted.

That's it

aren't you missing a full stop after "it"?

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    There are few things more fun than someone quoting an absolute rule.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    the use of apostrophes is getting out of control... it seems that people can't stop themselves from sticking them everywhere, so I thought appropriate to set boundaries
  • TheBigBean

the use of apostrophes is getting out of control... it seems that people can't stop themselves from sticking them everywhere, so I thought appropriate to set boundaries

Bit of a glasshouse when it comes to punctuation.
  • briantrumpet

The French are just as bad. Some of them seem to think that my name is Brian's.

Mind you, one of the one in English that does annoy me is "panini's". Wrong on more than one level.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I had to learn English when I was already in my late teens and I don't think I've ever put an apostrophe wrong.
    Most people here are native speakers and educated to A levels or beyond, so I don't understand what is so hard about getting apostrophes right...

As per rule above, it is really very simple... almost like scoring a penalty...
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,868
    Thank's for the tip's, its something I havent thought about to much.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    I think we should adopt the ancient Greek inscription approach:

NOSPACESBETWEENWORDSNOPUNCTUATIONNOUPPERANDLOWERCASRJUSTASTREAMOFCAPITALLETTERS
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited July 2021
    There's a Portuguese novelist... what's his name... Saramago! He doesn't use punctuation
    Not that I expect anyone on here to have read anything other than Harry Potter... ;)
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Jezyboy said:

Thank's for the tip's, its something I havent thought about to much.

Me to,
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    Or Latin:

SOME.PUNC.B.L.ABBR.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

Mind you, one of the one in English that does annoy me is "panini's". Wrong on more than one level.
    As an Italian Englishman, or an English Italian, it irritate's the phuck out of me.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

That's it

Are you sure there should be a comma before the word "and"?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595

There's a Portuguese novelist... what's his name... Saramago! He doesn't use punctuation
    Not that I expect anyone on here to have read anything other than Harry Potter... ;)

I’ve not read Harry Potter.
    Missing anything? 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

That's it

Apostrophes are indicated where it can help quick comprehension: in this case, it (correctly) indicates the beginning of a new clause, and not something connected with 'possession'. Or you could just view it as an Oxford/serial comma, in which case it's equally correct.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Pross said:

That's it

I copied and pasted that bit from the online dictionary, so talk to them... ;)
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

I’ve not read Harry Potter.
    Missing anything? 😉
    Decent enough yarn.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939

I had to learn English when I was already in my late teens and I don't think I've ever put an apostrophe wrong.
    Most people here are native speakers and educated to A levels or beyond, so I don't understand what is so hard about getting apostrophes right...

As per rule above, it is really very simple... almost like scoring a penalty...

We're a nation of shop keepers (apparently). Blame it on the Grocers. :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• briantrumpet
    Incidentally, punctuation was initially introduced to indicate the space in between words when speaking (at a time when most information would have been disseminated by the educated people who could read, and were like musical rests: a comma was one beat, a point (full stop) two beats, and a colon four beats, like crotchet, minim, semibreve rests. It was only in the late 16th century that they took on more formal grammatical purposes.

https://research-repository.st-andrews.ac.uk/bitstream/handle/10023/19905/Rhodes_2019_HLQ_Punctuation_VoR.pdf

Read David Crystal's 'Making A Point' if punctuation interests you... it's a brilliant book.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    This is the thread for people who find macroeconomics a bit too racy.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    edited July 2021

Most people here are native speakers and educated to A levels or beyond, so I don't understand what is so hard about getting apostrophes right..

Like you I didn't really speak and definitely not write English until leaving school.

Unlike you I have no clue where to put an apostrophe and to be honest I couldn't give a monkeys'.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

As an Italian Englishman, or an English Italian, it irritate's the phuck out of me.
    you try living with a language that has 6 letters.....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

Don't the waving arms each count for at least another 3 letters each?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

MattFalle said:

I thought he was referring to Welsh, 6 letters and words that are 172 letters long.
  • First.Aspect

MattFalle said:

I thought he was referring to Welsh, 6 letters and words that are 172 letters long.
    Oh. I'll blame that on it being gin o'clock at the time I sent it.
  • ugo.santalucia

MattFalle said:

Oh. I'll blame that on it being gin o'clock at the time I sent it.
    Question about English: in "o'clock", what's the apostrophe replacing? Would it be "on the clock" or what?
  • First.Aspect
    Of, I think.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    "Of the" I believe.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Its as a possesive shurly should be it's

If the language itself is so inconsistent, why bother getting it right?