TDF 2021: Stage 19, Mourenx > Libourne 207 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Pross said:

I'm confused. Are Geraint / Porte in the break or peloton?

Both in the peloton. The live data's quite handy for checking stuff like that, unless the transponder is on the roof of the team car. Click on the star to search for a rider.

https://racecenter.letour.fr/en/riders/19
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,631
    Desperation is not a strong enough word
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,145
    Must be annoying when you are driving hard in a break and the gap is going nowhere.
  • mididoctors
    Still 100 k to go
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,453
    Two groups merge, but they only have 49s.
  • Pross
    So does Ballerini sit in / do the bare minimum now? He's probably one of the faster finishers and he can bluff with Cav behind.

Surprised how long it took that large group to get across and they only have 35" on the peloton
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Is that Froome riding at the front? Good to see him doing something...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,453
    Gap going out. They might have it now.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    Just needs Declerq to go to the front for a few Kms and it will all come back.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Carlton and Brian seem very sure that this break is going to go to the line...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,144
    Israel and Bike Exchange riding round to try and keep the break in check.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Peloton looks small with all the abandons and 20 up the road.

They seem to have set the break's lead at 1'00" at most.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Can't imagine that break is going to continue working effectively for that much longer. First attacks from it at around 60km out?
  • bobmcstuff
    Pross said:

Peloton looks small with all the abandons and 20 up the road.

They seem to have set the break's lead at 1'00" at most.

Not working very well - up to 1'45"
  • bobmcstuff
    It's gone - gap up to 3 mins very quickly
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,699
    Looks as if the peloton have waved the white flag
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    ISN realised eventually that it was a huge amount of work just to try to get Greipel a top 10 stage finish.

May as well get back to work for the next 1.5 hours
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,531
    ~7 minutes now :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mididoctors
    I think DQS having two days off for Sunday .... A lot of teams need a win . Letting this go makes sense
  • daniel_b

I think DQS having two days off for Sunday .... A lot of teams need a win . Letting this go makes sense

It concerns me though the 'all or potentially nothing' aspect of Sundays stage though.
    Would have preferred Cav to get 35 today, and then Sunday would not have had the same pressure on imho.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,027
    daniel_b said:

It concerns me though the 'all or potentially nothing' aspect of Sundays stage though.
    Would have preferred Cav to get 35 today, and then Sunday would not have had the same pressure on imho.
    Who’s gonna beat him
  • mididoctors

daniel_b said:

Who’s gonna beat him
    Besides it doesn't count if it's just gifted . He has to earn it .
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

daniel_b said:

Who’s gonna beat him
    Himself, for starters.
  • rick_chasey
    If there were other sprinters confident they had a decent chance it’d be a sprint.

It’s all on one team so they can’t control it all the time.

Especially as one of them rides like he’s tigger so he’s spent on the flat days
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2021

daniel_b said:

Who’s gonna beat him
    Crashes (He nearly got taken out today) could take him and or his leadout train out, mechanical near the end, he might not have good legs or simply be ill, breakaway somehow gets away (Rare I know) - several things could happen.

Sunday could in theory be his last ever TDF stage.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,166
    I would love to know what Carapaz and Quintana were talking about. In my mind it's climbing related.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,159

I would love to know what Carapaz and Quintana were talking about. In my mind it's climbing related.

Like what happened to Mallory and Irvine? Or who is going to win the first climbing Olympic medals in Tokyo?
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Can't imagine that break is going to continue working effectively for that much longer. First attacks from it at around 60km out?

Went back to work, came back and they've gone out by another 9 minutes in 40km. Please ignore any further predictions from me
  • rick_chasey
    daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

Who’s gonna beat him
    Crashes (He nearly got taken out today) could take him and or his leadout train out, mechanical near the end, he might not have good legs or simply be ill, breakaway somehow gets away (Rare I know) - several things could happen.

Sunday could in theory be his last ever TDF stage.
    You sound like a pundit trying to keep it interesting.