Mavic Askium front wheel bearings

Sutton_Rider
Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
edited July 2021 in Workshop
I thought I would service the front wheel bearings this evening. When I removed the dust cover on the first bearing I saw a small plastic cover sitting on the bearings, I tried to remove it to get at the bearings, but it wouldn’t come out. So ended up pushing the grease passed it. The other side didn't have this additional plastic, it was what I expected to see once the dust cover was removed, full view of the bearings. So, what was this additional bit of plastic? Why was it only on one side?

Comments

• Sutton_Rider
    edited July 2021
    The title should read Mavic Askium front wheel bearings. Bloody predictive text. Now corrected.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Mavic use sealed bearings, so you are wasting your time servicing them... they're either in good nick or need replacing, nothing in between.
    Don't know what the plastic cover is
    left the forum March 2023
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416

The title should read Mavic Askium front wheel bearings. Bloody predictive text. Now corrected.

Should read "Mavic Aksium" ....bloody predictive dyslexia ;)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Sutton_Rider
    The wheel has only done 650 dry miles. They run smooth, but I could hear a rattle when on less than a perfect road surface hence 'take a look see' not much grease in the sealed bearings, so I've topped them up and the rattle has gone on the short test ride. If it returns I'll do as you suggest Ugo and replace them.
    Its an age thing photonic69, what day of the week is this?
  • Sutton_Rider
    Those plastic bits are BB spacers. I took the bearings out today and there is a slight roughness in both, so I'm going to replace them. They've been like that from new.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited July 2021
    Delete