TDF 2021: Stage 19, Mourenx > Libourne 207 km **Spoilers**

Stage 19, Mourenx > Libourne 207 km

16-7-2021
Start: 11-20am

With the Pyrenees in the rearview the attention turns back to the sprinters on stage 19 with a 207 kilometre stage from Mourenx to Libourne. It has been awhile since Mourenx last saw a Tour de France peloton. Following finishes in 1969 and 1970, La Grande Boucle set off from the village in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques department in 1999 and 2005.
The riders head in an almost straight line to the north for a likely bunch sprint in Libourne, east of Bordeaux, however it will be a tough day for the sprinters to control.

There is a solitary 4th category climb which appears early in the stage, but by now, it should attract little interest with the KoM jersey undoubtedly already decided. It's been a few years since there were two stages following the mountains, and the parcour while being predominantly flat, does roll for much of the stage, favouring guys with remaining stamina.

Not all teams will still have their fast finisher in their ranks, so there are less candidates to share the work load. The distance, coupled with the fact that peloton will be exhausted from five days in the mountains, will leave a number of teams somewhat unwilling to control a peloton for a long day in the saddle. This could also be the last chance for teams without a sprinter or a GC rider to potentially rescue their race and with a lumpy opening 50 kilometres a bunch sprint is far from a certainty.

Favourites stage 19 Tour de France 2021

***** Mark Cavendish
**** Jasper Philpsen Wout van Aert
*** Jasper Stuyven, Nils Politt, Omar Fraile, Marco Haller, Toms Skujiņš
** Kasper Asgreen, Stefan Küng, Alex Aranburu, Magnus Cort, Philippe Gilbert
* Greg Van Avermaet, Danny van Poppel, Mads Pedersen, Brent Van Moer

(apologies if I have missed anybody obvious but there must be 50 guys who will try for the break.)

Mourenx

Stage town for the 5th time
Population: 6,500
The discovery of the natural gas deposit at Lacq and the development of an industrial complex, lead to the first new town in France to be built in 1958 near a village of 200 people. The town was built at an extremely fast pace and a few years later had almost 12,000 inhabitants. The town of Mourenx remains closely linked to the industrial basin where international companies and start-ups are driving the conversion to renewable energies and the chemistry of tomorrow.
Half a century ago, it was traditional to follow the Pyrenean incursions with a stage for sprinters in Bordeaux and, in 1969 and 1970, it was from Mourenx that this "classic" started with victories for Barry Hoban and Rold Wolfshohl. Thirty years later, in 1999, it was Tom Steels who won a stage from Mourenx to Bordeaux.

Libourne

Stage town for the 4th time
Population: 25,060
The natural confluence of the Isle and Dordogne rivers led to the foundation of this bastide in 1270 by English soldier Roger de Leyburn, who gave it his name. The flourishing trade it has developed over the centuries, mainly in salt, wood and wine, has made it one of the most prosperous bastides in Aquitaine. Surrounded by its ramparts and towers, Libourne imposed its supremacy. For a long time, this prosperous city maintained a privileged link with England. The ships coming from England, which left Libourne loaded with barrels of wine. Today, the cruise ships have replaced the ships of the English fleet.

Libourne is also the birthplace of Mickaël Delage, who has taken part in six Tours de France, mainly in the colours of the Française des Jeux, and of Quentin Pacher, one of the most combative riders of the 2020 edition.

Château de Sales - AOC Pomerol
Perhaps built by the first known owner, Jean de Sauvanelle, mayor of Libourne in the first half of the 17th century, the plan of the château still adopts that of a fortress, entirely enclosed and organised around an inner courtyard. The gardens drawn on the plans of 1770-1772 were replaced by lawns, while the pond was built between 1770 and 1780. Located in the Pomerol appellation, Château de Sales has the largest vineyard in the AOC with 47.6 hectares of vines, out of the 90 hectares of the estate. The limits of the property are the same as in 1578, except for three hectares that were lost during the revolution.

Anybody got a spare 20 grand? This could be yours.

Pork confit from Libourne
Pork confit is one of the great specialities of the Libourne region. It is similar to enchaud or enchaux, which are common in the Landes. Some believe it is even tastier than goose confit.
Taken from the fillet, it is spiked with garlic, rolled on itself and braised slowly in a casserole dish. To eat, cut the confit into thin slices and serve with a salad with walnut oil. It can be eaten cold or reheated in a pan.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    So does Matthews try to get in the break and hope DQS are too tired to chase or sit back and hope for some misfortune to prevent Cav being up there for the sprint (or just accept the green jersey is gone)?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Fancy a surprise winner today and Cav winning in Paris

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited July 2021
    When was the last time a rider was obligated to spend the last 3 race days nursing the KOM jersey for the guy who won it?
  • Pross
    edited July 2021

When was the last time a rider was obligated to spend the last 3 race days nursing the KOM jersey for the guy who won it?

Was thinking 2015 but Froome briefly relinquished it for stages 18 and 19.

Edit - possibly 1970, Merckx held polka and yellow for ages but not sure if the same rider was looking after the polka dots for him over that time. Certainly not more recently.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    We all feeling a Big break with a lack of sprint team firepower to pull it back?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

We all feeling a Big break with a lack of sprint team firepower to pull it back?

That’s how I see it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    DQS. Have been impressive this tour .Thou They are a little responsible for shutting down the racing on occasion the second week on. Shaped the race a fair bit .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200

DQS. Have been impressive this tour .Thou They are a little responsible for shutting down the racing on occasion the second week on. Shaped the race a fair bit .

Still got a full team, haven't they?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors

Still got a full team, haven't they?
    I think so .
  • Pross

Not sure DQS will want that, they have a 'rest day' on Saturday so I think they'll want to control any break. They didn't look like they went too deep the past two days. DSM and Bike Exchange will probably fancy a go at getting a stage and Philpsen might think he has a chance but I suppose they'd all be mad to help DQS control things.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited July 2021
    DQS might try to sneak Cattaneo into the break. He’s about seven minutes outside the top 10 with a strong TT. Other teams could then chase him and he could sit in on the break.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707
    Pross said:

Was thinking 2015 but Froome briefly relinquished it for stages 18 and 19.

Edit - possibly 1970, Merckx held polka and yellow for ages but not sure if the same rider was looking after the polka dots for him over that time. Certainly not more recently.

Although they had the KOM competition from well before 1975, I don't think the actual jersey was introduced until that year (when Thevenet beat Merckx and ended the era). So whenever Merckx led/won both the GC and the KOM competitions (1969 and 1970), there was no polka-dot jersey for whoever was second in the KOM to wear/nurse till Paris.
    So I think the only occasion was 2015, for the last two stages.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Pross said:

Not sure DQS will want that, they have a 'rest day' on Saturday so I think they'll want to control any break. They didn't look like they went too deep the past two days. DSM and Bike Exchange will probably fancy a go at getting a stage and Philpsen might think he has a chance but I suppose they'd all be mad to help DQS control things.
    Other sprint teams won't want to pull all day, but they will in the last 20km. The last couple of days they've also been setting the expectation that they're the guys who police who goes, which helps control matters when it's more important.

They've also not done a ton of work doing it, as you say, and there's the huge carrot of winning another stage with Cavendish, which seems to amuse the heck out of them. Sticking someone up in the break might happen - why not? - but even if they don't I think they've got enough firepower.
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

DQS might try to sneak Cattaneo into the break. He’s about seven minutes outside the top 10 with a strong TT. Other teams could then chase him and he could sit in on the break.

Cunning
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Michael Woods is not starting today, due to Tokyo syndrome
  • mididoctors
    Crash
  • mididoctors
    Lot of riders down
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Cavendish lucky not to get caught up in that

• mididoctors
    Pogacar trying to boss it
  • mididoctors
    Doing a hinault talking to ineos
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Someone maybe needs to have a word with Pogacar about the optics of the yellow jersey chasing down a rider who is nearly three hours down on GC to haul them out of the break. It doesn't have a great precedent.
  • mididoctors

Someone maybe needs to have a word with Pogacar about the optics of the yellow jersey chasing down a rider who is nearly three hours down on GC to haul them out of the break. It doesn't have a great precedent.

Throwing his weight round 1980s style .
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Throwing his weight round 1980s style .
    I was thinking something more early 2000s.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Amazes me someone doesn't just tell him to **** off and attack for the sake of it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Pogaswagger.
  • Pross
    Who did he chase down?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    edited July 2021
    Ineos rider - maybe Kwiatkowski ?

It was more he wanted the bunch to wait for riders to get back after the big crash at the start than chasing a particular individual but a break was up the road so by neutralising the bunch the break went from 20seconds to being clear.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Nog een valpartij.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross

Amazes me someone doesn't just tell him to **** off and attack for the sake of it.

He's at risk of starting to annoy other teams. Nice to see he has the confidence though.