Crankset

Hi I am looking to replace my crankset on my Boardman MTB TEAM Hardtail 29er 2014 with original FSA Comet 368 39/27t I was considering purchasing this item https://www.jejamescycles.com/product/44077/shimano-deore-shimano-fc-m4100-deore-10-speed-36-26t-chainset/option/ if it is compatible with current setup?
I look forward to any suggestions and advice.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    This was answered the other day when you asked in MTB Workshop and Tech.
    It will be fine as long as you have a compatible bb.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    So on a difficulty level how hard is it to change and any pitfalls I should be aware of before tackling the job it also states chain line is 48.8mm compared to the comet which apparently 50.0mm would this effort or cause any problems
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2021
    I missed the other discussion. 48.8 and 50mm chainline difference is miniscule and won't matter in the slightest.

Difficulty regarding what aspect, fitting a new bb, crankset or something else? 🤔
  • snowster
    I have fitted bb52 on my own bike so how removed my own crankset deore FC-M610 without any problems just wondering if I will run into any problems? Surly can’t be that simple?
  • reaperactual
    It is that simple, that's another reason why Hollowtech II bb's and cranks are good.

Pre tensioning the nds crank arm for correct fit without play or knocking but not too tight the bearings bind is about as hard as the fitting process gets which sometimes gets overlooked and not done properly.
  • snowster
    Isn’t that Sod’s law now out of stock anyone have any other recommendations?
  • snowster
    Any thoughts on a shimano fc-m6000 deore 10 speed?
  • reaperactual
    edited July 2021
    snowster said:

Any thoughts on a shimano fc-m6000 deore 10 speed?

Yep, it's a double, HT2 and there's a 48.8mm chainline version option:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312110666890

I'd recomend you adjust the height and then re-tune your front derailleur to account for the slightly smaller big chainring difference and you'll end up with slightly lower overall gearing.
  • snowster
    Many thanks for all your comments and help now purchased the above!
  • reaperactual
    😎👍