Smart trainer inaccuracy

Not an out and out cyclist just a general keep fit person.
Kept getting injured whilst running so turned to a sports tech 600 smart trainer bike in house trainer.
Joined kinomaps for a weekly challenge, soon realized that the power I was producing was way out, generating between 400 and 600 watts.
My electronic magnetic resistance is wrong, in turn my power is reading wrongly.
Any way of calibrating resistance?
Any help on how to complete this task, engineers etc… would be appreciated.
I should be a rough FTP 250 watts on a good day.

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Does the smart bike show youre producing 400-600 watts or the kinomaps app or both ?
  • Both, that’s why I think/know it’s the resistance that’s wrong?
    Sports Tech customer service 0
  • mully79
    The trainer itself should calculate the values based on measurements it takes from the electromagnetic forces generated by the wheel.
    Either its broke, theres something very wrong in the main set up. (possibly hidden as i couldnt see anything in the user manual) or there's a bad electrical connection/wire with a high electrical resistance throwing all the readings out.
    Ps. im guessing based on faffing with other electrical equipment.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    mully79 said:

The trainer itself should calculate the values based on measurements it takes from the electromagnetic forces generated by the wheel.
    Either its broke, theres something very wrong in the main set up. (possibly hidden as i couldnt see anything in the user manual) or there's a bad electrical connection/wire with a high electrical resistance throwing all the readings out.
    Ps. im guessing based on faffing with other electrical equipment.

are you sure they don't just combine wheelspeed with resistance?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Electro magnet resistance is almost definitely the problem I believe. (Layman speak) something like the magnets don’t get close enough to the crank or wheel? To cause enough resistance.
    Any recommendations of anyone in the northwest area who is qualified in sorting this problem out would be appreciated.
    Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to help me solve this problem.
    (Sports Tech have a next to useless follow up).
    I know that the resistance is not correct, because my brother owns the same bike, been on it and the resistance throughout the settings is much harder.
  • mully79
    I just read the manual again but it seems to be an english translation and doesnt really help. Nuggets of info like ;

"After power is energized, the resistance is adjusted by the electronic watch."

"The power of the machine increases with increasing the speed, and the reverse. The machine is equipped with adjustable knob, which can adjust the resistance"

The exploded diagram is naff and there are other similarly named " knobs" in the parts list. Perhaps cross referencing knobs on the parts list with the bike in real life might be better.

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Sportstech-Sx-600-10942291.html
  • Thanks for that, I’ll see if I can find my knob… watch this space.
  • Naaa, don’t make any sense. The only way to adjust the resistance is via up-down chevrons on the screen 10-32 settings and the settings are set up wrong. HELP! I am never going to win a climb using kinomaps , the kind of ride I like, but at the same time I need to have a true honest account of my ride.
  • mully79
    I just watched the German vid. No other mention of resistance. I would start with turning it off, unplugging all the connectors under the screen. Leave them all disconnected for 5 minutes. Check there’s nothing fishy going on with the plugs. Plug them all back in and turn it back on.
  • Already done the unplugging bit (did not leave for 5 mins) .
    Will do that again and leave disconnected fir 5+minutes.
    Appreciate your help, it’s so annoying, got what I believe to be a good bit of kit but can’t really enjoy the experience until it’s right.
  • mully79
    Sometimes the time is important as it allows any charge held in the device to drain down and forces a hard restart.

Sorry I cant help more but if that doesnt work then its probably faulty and needs sending back to where it came from.
  • Easier said than done, Germany. Got to be some engineer in the Northwest that can sort this? If not, have I found a niche? A lot of smart trainers around these days.