Drugs in other sports and the media.

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    It's a load of old tripe. you'd think they could used their brains and de liver a better excuse.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    RichN95. said:

seanoconn said:

Maybe women develop later / chirdbirth makes them faster.

I’m assuming this was tongue in cheek.
    yeah sorry.

Wasn't the womans winner of an olympic gold ITT (rio?) about 40
    Kristen Armstrong. She was a couple of days short of her 43rd birthday. She had a baby back in 2010.

Jessica Ennis won a Worlds Gold and Olympic silver after having a baby. Laura Kenny's another mother
    Jessica Ennis won a world title while heavily pregnant (although that was backdated after another athlete was banned)
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474

RichN95. said:

seanoconn said:

yeah sorry.

Kristen Armstrong. She was a couple of days short of her 43rd birthday. She had a baby back in 2010.

Jessica Ennis won a Worlds Gold and Olympic silver after having a baby. Laura Kenny's another mother
    Jessica Ennis won a world title while heavily pregnant (although that was backdated after another athlete was banned)
    JE-H had children in July 2014 and September 2017. Assuming she was pregnant between November 13 to July 14 and then Jan 17 to Sep 17 her titles in those periods were precisely zero. So I'm pretty confident that she won nothing whilst pregnant, let alone heavily pregnant.

She did win the WC in 2015 (post first child) and placed 2nd in the Olympics in 2016 so did achieve pretty highly postpartum though.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    larkim said:

JE-H had children in July 2014 and September 2017. Assuming she was pregnant between November 13 to July 14 and then Jan 17 to Sep 17 her titles in those periods were precisely zero. So I'm pretty confident that she won nothing whilst pregnant, let alone heavily pregnant.

She did win the WC in 2015 (post first child) and placed 2nd in the Olympics in 2016 so did achieve pretty highly postpartum though.

I was a joke about her winning the 2011 World Championship several years later when she may have been heavily pregnant*. The same as Froome winning that year's Vuelta lying in hospital.

*Fact check: she actually wasn't.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    larkim said:

RichN95. said:

seanoconn said:

yeah sorry.

Facts don't lie!!!!1!!1! As mentioned, it was a joke. Didn't think it would need spelling out quite so clearly
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    A study here on the lies cyclists tell to cover up doping

https://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/3240.html?id=6294
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Sorry, sense of humour bypass on my part. I'll chortle to myself privately now ;-)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    seanoconn said:

This from a week ago seems worth a mention. Shelly-Ann Frazer-Pryce Jamaica’s 2 time Olympic champion, setting a PB in the 100m, no suggestion anywhere that this might be suspicious and even the British record holder says this is ‘amazing for athletics’

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/57420366

Shelly-Ann Frazer-Pryce is a 34 year old mother whose pervious best was set back in 2012 and is now the second fastest woman in history after Flo Jo. Miraculous.

It's getting ridiculous now.
    First there was Richardson but now..............Blessing Okagbare?
    I mean she's been a solid sprinter for years, but suddenly also 10.63, even with a questionable wind?
    DAS left her eating dust, just a week earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoPEHG1R3yg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Anyone else watching the BBC thing on the Olympics?

Christine Ohurugu's (of this parish iirc) explanation of her three missed tests is... unconvincing...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    ddraver said:

Christine Ohurugu's (of this parish iirc) explanation of her three missed tests is... unconvincing...

She's on bike radar?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    elbowloh said:

ddraver said:

She's on bike radar?
    More a fan of the spring classics than the grand tours IIRC
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    ddraver said:

Ah, missed it tonight. I saw one last week that reminded me how bad we were until Major decided to divert lottery funding towards Olympic sport. Atlanta was an embarrassment.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Yes, Atlanta - one Gold medal, thanks to Redgrave & Pinsent.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ddraver
    elbowloh said:

ddraver said:

She's on bike radar?
    Discussed in this thread at length.

In short - if she was Christina Ohurugiski, the same people defending her would likely sound rather different...
    - @ddraver
  • r0bh
    Matt Lawton having a bit of a shocker:

22h
    EXCLUSIVE: Cocaine found in sample of Oliver Dustin, British Olympic 800m medal hopeful
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gb-medal-hopeful-oliver-dustin-in-clear-after-contaminated-sample-showed-cocaine-5ggdgdgh5

11h
    LATEST: GB medal hopeful Oliver Dustin in clear after contaminated sample showed cocaine. Will be able to run in the Tokyo Olympics. Statement due tomorrow, sources claim.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gb-medal-hopeful-oliver-dustin-in-clear-after-contaminated-sample-showed-cocaine-5ggdgdgh5

3h
    British Olympic medal hopeful Oliver Dustin in clear over contaminated cocaine sample

28m
    Oliver Dustin was provisionally suspended by the French AD authority and both UKAD and UKA were informed of a sample containing traces of cocaine. The sample, however, was found to have been contaminated in the lab and, as reported, he is now clear to go to the Olympics.

Note that all three tweets now link to the same article.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    r0bh said:

22h
    EXCLUSIVE: Cocaine found in sample of Oliver Dustin, British Olympic 800m medal hopeful

11h
    LATEST: GB medal hopeful Oliver Dustin in clear after contaminated sample showed cocaine. Will be able to run in the Tokyo Olympics. Statement due tomorrow, sources claim.

3h
    British Olympic medal hopeful Oliver Dustin in clear over contaminated cocaine sample

28m
    Oliver Dustin was provisionally suspended by the French AD authority and both UKAD and UKA were informed of a sample containing traces of cocaine. The sample, however, was found to have been contaminated in the lab and, as reported, he is now clear to go to the Olympics.

British Olympic 800m medal hopeful
    I knew from that It was obviously bogus. :p
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    How did the lab contaminate it with cocaine?!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

How did the lab contaminate it with cocaine?!

Those lab techs are party animals that make your clients (and favourite retired rider) look tame.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

r0bh said:

22h

11h

3h

28m

British Olympic 800m medal hopeful
    I knew from that It was obviously bogus. :p
    TBF, he's in the top 10 in the world this year, medal shot might be stretching it but certainly could be in the Final.

Glad it turned out there was no Dust in his sample......
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Presumably, these are general drug testing labs who also do work for UKAD? Hence where the contamination came from?
  • r0bh
    It was the French AD agency and a French lab IIRC
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    r0bh said:

It was the French AD agency and a French lab IIRC

Sure, but same logic though?
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

Presumably, these are general drug testing labs who also do work for UKAD? Hence where the contamination came from?

Could have been another sample that did have cocaine in it that x-contaminated with Dustin's.
    Plenty of sports people like a bit of the stuff apparently - footballers, Rugby players etc, along with Jockeys who enjoy it's appetite suppressing qualities.
  • ddraver
    edited August 2021
    Not sure how much, if ever, she strayed on to the road but a huge name in US cycling...

Think she even ride the Olympics MTB race although finished a long way down. Was a big feature of the Trek CX/XC set up for a long time. for some time she was US cycling's only significant representation in Europe while the Dombowski's and Phinneys were neo-pros at Sky. There are a number of prominant anti-doping tweets from her that are looking a little...questionable now.

(and this is UKIP level parochial but it's interesting to see how some US journos are treating it compared to their treatment of...others)
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    She was very very vocal about Betsema’s positive and ban as well.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    ddraver said:

Not sure how much, if ever, she strayed on to the road but a huge name in US cycling...

Think she even ride the Olympics MTB race although finished a long way down. Was a big feature of the Trek CX/XC set up for a long time. for some time she was US cycling's only significant representation in Europe while the Dombowski's and Phinneys were neo-pros at Sky. There are a number of prominant anti-doping tweets from her that are looking a little...questionable now.

(and this is UKIP level parochial but it's interesting to see how some US journos are treating it compared to their treatment of...others)
    She didn’t ride the Olympics, it was Kate Courtney.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    It's notable that several people who like to cast aspersions without any evidence seem reluctant to believe actual evidence of doping when it's provided.

It seems like another case of another aging athlete unable to let go.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    Good tweet from Ross Tucker explaining https://twitter.com/Scienceofsport/status/1425721744560635908

Doesn't look good