Retro pro cycling.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
So I was visiting my parents and I noticed they hadn’t thrown any of my old Procycling magazines away.

I picked out a couple at random and thought I’d share some bits that seemed fun.

2008 magazine. Iainf72’s favourite edition I think.

First page. 🤨

When the forum used to make the mag (and why I joined) thought the topic was relevant this Tour

I didn’t have enough time to find Iain’s question but this caption caught my eye

And this one made me laugh

Spotted this one from an earlier mag…

And then this mag

Check out this headline

And of course

Comments

• rick_chasey
    Not sure why some of the pictures rotated but anyway
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I remember getting Cycling Weekly back in 2009 when I started getting back into cycling. It had an article of Lance's art bikes and the ToB was on with some Norwegian kid called Edvald was dominating. There was lots of talk about how he could do anything and was the new Merckx.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited July 2021

When the forum used to make the mag (and why I joined) thought the topic was relevant this Tour

I remember some of those names. BrianS is Brian Smith.

Do you have the Edvald Boasson Hagen - The New Merckx' cover?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    I'm old enough to have been brought up on Winning

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    It's not a magazine, but I was going through the Guardian's coverage of the 2008 tour last night and came across Ricco being popped for doping, which was a bit of a Proustian rush - remember when you could more or less set your calendar by allegations (or proof) of him being on the sauce?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    RichN95. said:

I'm old enough to have been brought up on Winning

I've still got about ten editions of their annual review, the Fabulous World of Cycling series.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

It's not a magazine, but I was going through the Guardian's coverage of the 2008 tour last night and came across Ricco being popped for doping, which was a bit of a Proustian rush - remember when you could more or less set your calendar by allegations (or proof) of him being on the sauce?

Like when he nearly topped himself attempting to blood dope giving himself severe blood poisoning. I can’t remember but did he use some animals blood.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    webboo said:

Like when he nearly topped himself attempting to blood dope giving himself severe blood poisoning. I can’t remember but did he use some animals blood.
    Wasn't it a bag he'd had lying around for longer than was sensible? Think some suggestions were that he'd accidentally used his flatmate's, rather than some random pet.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    He clearly isn’t the sharpest knife in the box.
  • RichN95.

Watching 2008 back it was amazing how obvious Ricco was. Here's the stage he won. I start about two minutes before his attack (and also so you can see Phil & Paul bigging up a random Kenyan)

https://youtu.be/kVebLm90Qcw?t=1748
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

webboo said:

Wasn't it a bag he'd had lying around for longer than was sensible? Think some suggestions were that he'd accidentally used his flatmate's, rather than some random pet.
    He put bags of his own blood in his fridge in his flat but the fridge had stopped working/the 'leccy had been cut off but he cracked on anyway and gave himself sepsis.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Doesn't seem as long ago as that. Apparently his ban runs out in 3 years.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    "Not the sharpest knife in the draw" is being generous to Ricco. He wasn't even the sharpest spoon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.

"Not the sharpest knife in the draw" is being generous to Ricco. He wasn't even the sharpest spoon.

He's literally an ice cream scooper
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited July 2021
    Oh come on, give the fella a break. Its an easy mistake to make.

Decide to cheat massively in a professional sport, drain your own blood, pop it in some bags, take it home, pop it in your fridge next to your latte, prosciutto and formaggi, go out for a bit, come home and find put that the frdige is broken/someone hasn't put 2,000 Lire in the meter so theres no 'leccy then think " ma va fa'nculo to it all", get the blood out amyway, pour an espresso, sit in your kitchen, self canulate and give yourself an i.v. transfusion.

Surely we've all done it at some point?

Oh.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Well I'm pretty sure the Yates brothers have fridges stuffed with old congealed blood, but that's for a fry up

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032

So I was visiting my parents and I noticed they hadn’t thrown any of my old Procycling magazines away.

Did they find your pawn stash :-)

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    MattFalle said:

Oh come on, give the fella a break. Its an easy mistake to make.

Decide to cheat massively in a professional sport, drain your own blood, pop it in some bags, take it home, pop it in your fridge next to your latte, prosciutto and formaggi, go out for a bit, come home and find put that the frdige is broken/someone hasn't put 2,000 Lire in the meter so theres no 'leccy then think " ma va fa'nculo to it all", get the blood out amyway, pour an espresso, sit in your kitchen, self canulate and give yourself an i.v. transfusion.

Surely we've all done it at some point?

Oh.

It's fine if you put the empty bag on a shelf to remind yourself to never do it again; right next to a front dereilleur.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Thanks for sharing, Rick. I have a couple of copies of Equipe from July 2011… will see if I can dig them out, I know we all love a photo of TV Tommy.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    They should make a lot of this content available online. Not sure there would be anything to lose.
  • rick_chasey

They should make a lot of this content available online. Not sure there would be anything to lose.

Haha, an insight into how bad the predictions are!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I have a lot of vhs tape of the 1990s
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Endless hours of vuelta sprint stages ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    I do have 1994 Roubaix. All zillion hours of it
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited July 2021
    Ben6899 said:

Thanks for sharing, Rick. I have a couple of copies of Equipe from July 2011… will see if I can dig them out, I know we all love a photo of TV Tommy.

A few snips from L’Equipe, Samedi 23 Juillet 2011… (which rotate incorrectly no matter how I edit/save them - love this forum software)

Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    Thought i'd revive this thread as Procycling magazine has announced it's no longer going to be published.

Real shame as, as you can tell, I am a big fan of the magazine.

End of an era.
  • Thought i'd revive this thread as Procycling magazine has announced it's no longer going to be published.

End of an era.

Assume you're not tempted by their offer to transfer your sub to the mountain bike mag then?....
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I only bought it last week for the first time in years. I used to subscribe but found I didn't get round to reading them. I always look for it if I'm in front of a magazine stand, but never found it until last week.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 452

Thought i'd revive this thread as Procycling magazine has announced it's no longer going to be published.

End of an era.

A bit gutted by this.

Certainly won’t be taking up their MBR offer!

Any suggestions for another pro cycling focused magazine?

I know there’s a multitude of websites out there but I like a magazine too.
  • rick_chasey
    Not really. The nearest is Rouleur but a good 30-40% is not pro-cycling related.