Giro Donne ‘spoilers’

neonriver
neonriver Posts: 228
Not sure how much would be spoilers as the coverage is barely there. Possibly not the best idea to hold your major stage race at same time as the tour.

Race seems to be more or less the same as the tour one rider blasting away on the climbs and TT except this time the closest challengers are her teammates.

Van der Berggen
Moolman + 2:51
Vollering + 3:03
Deigan (first non sd word) +5:53

Van der Breggen put 12 riders otl in yesterday’s TT!

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    It's being covered in the shit small races thread.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I watched a bit of the time trial. They didn’t have a clock up, so the commentators had no idea of the times or was in front of who.
    Time trials aren’t the most exciting viewing at the best of times but this put along side watching paint dry.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Pross said:

It's being covered in the censored small races thread.

Somewhat erratically - i meant to add an update last night and fell asleep. Cynics might suggest I was watching the stage itself - I couldn't possibly comment.

Think it's suffering particularly this year as everyone has an eye on the Olympics (van Vleuten hasn't even turned up); the drop down in level possibly hasn't helped that either?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    It's the usual van der Breggen beat down, as opposed to the usual va Vleuten beat down, with Vos cleaning up in the sprints.
    What's not to like?

If you are Dutch.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

It's the usual van der Breggen beat down, as opposed to the usual va Vleuten beat down, with Vos cleaning up in the sprints.
    What's not to like?

If you are Dutch.

Re van Vleuten, it's strange how this year the top rider(s) in men's and women's are disappearing for months ahead of their main goal.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    gsk82 said:

Re van Vleuten, it's strange how this year the top rider(s) in men's and women's are disappearing for months ahead of their main goal.

she's here, in 'mirror' world

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194
    Emma Norsgsaard, 2nd yesterday, said she'd have to win today. She did.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    edited July 2021
    Wrong thread
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    AVDB not getting things all her own way, apparently...

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194
    Vos still the boss
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Yeah, for a long time she was simply THE female rider. Seems mind-boggling that she's still ratcheting up the wins until you remember that she's still only 34.
  • blazing_saddles
    The big Queen stage has served up another stark example of the problem women's cycling faces.
    SD Worx finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd, all in the ST, with A vd Breggen able to let her nearest challenger on GC, team mate, Ashleigh Moolman take the stage. Demi Vollering was second on the stage.

The same three riders baring a crash, take home the GC podium, too.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    I really don't get why the organisers continue to short-change the female peloton. Each year you get hundreds of women completing events like the Maratona, which have a harder route than anything on the biggest stage race on the women's pro circuit.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

The big Queen stage has served up another stark example of the problem women's cycling faces.
    SD Worx finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd, all in the ST, with A vd Breggen able to let her nearest challenger on GC, team mate, Ashleigh Moolman take the stage. Demi Vollering was second on the stage.

The same three riders baring a crash, take home the GC podium, too.

They didn't finish in the same time. Moolman-Pasio was away in a break with Elisa Longo-Borghini, with the latter dropped on the climb to the finish. Van Der Breggen and Vollering were part of a group of 10-15 riders, including Deignan, Labous, Garcia, Guderzo, etc., but they upped the pace with about 3 kms to go and eventually were left with just Marta Cavalli for company. She was dropped in the final kilometre. Moolman-Pasio won by approx 1:30 in the end.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    phreak said:

I really don't get why the organisers continue to short-change the female peloton. Each year you get hundreds of women completing events like the Maratona, which have a harder route than anything on the biggest stage race on the women's pro circuit.

Racing and riding a sportive are too very different things. The final climb today was as hard as anything in the Maratona.
  • blazing_saddles
    phreak said:

Well, forget everything I said in any case. I got the initial result from PCS, but
    apparently nobody had a clue what was going on and the organisation was a total shambles. It seems that even the teams don't know an awful lot.

While I did have the top 3 in the right order, according to Firstcycling, Moolman Pasio won by 1:26 ahead of Vollering and Van der Breggen, with Cavalli 13 seconds further back.

There were "unknown placings" after that.
    Turns out positions 6-11 were Garcia, Labous, Guderzo, Fisher-Black, Muzic, Realini.

SD Worx now leads 4 out of 6 competitions.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    phreak said:

The problem is that will just exacerbate the disparity in the peloton.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    andyp said:

phreak said:

Racing and riding a sportive are too very different things. The final climb today was as hard as anything in the Maratona.
    I get that, it just seems odd that you have the pinnacle of the sport doing an easier parcour than amateurs could do throughout the summer. There wasn't a single stage longer than 100 miles, with none having more than 2 mountain passes.

I remember a few years ago Pooley did (and won I recall) the Swissman triathlon, and the bikeleg was about 180km with three climbs over 2000m in altitude and 3700m of climbing all told. That was with the swim at the beginning and a run up a mountain to finish. She seemed to do it without falling apart.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Nice to see Vos setting a good example for other riders by wearing lights on the Como stage.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme