saturday you better run, you better take cover

'ning

ride early to avoid oncoming rain, cafes, tdf based lazing
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Late night last night as we stopped on the way back and took the MIL out. Great day, managed 11 rides, so a very happy youngest.

Today is a recce of an upcoming race in snowdonia, so a rather hilly day

Later is off in the van with the current wife
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, Misty start , rain forecast , typical weekend weather,
    Ride later
    Have a good weekend
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    honking outside so sent TDV out with the Hound

still watching stage 11
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Delaying walking the hounds in the hope the rain will go away, have a feeling we will be disappointed. That said, its only jobs later on so not a lot of excitement ahead. Also trying persuade the sellers of our future house to get their arrises in gear, they seem to be dragging dragging their heels.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    High high summer. This weather is so depressing. Will dig out (it's not been used in oh days) the wet weather gear and at least get some distance done. Why does it always rain on me? Is it because...

Then plonk on the settee and watch my stage pick fail to deliver. The Pick of Doom is strong with this one.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Wall to wall sunshine here and hardly a breeze.
    Toots are off to Park and Grandma's whilst I try to extract rear torsion bar and suspension from Porker #1.

Might be 'fun'.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MattFalle
    Never mind that rubbish....

supercharged Aygo anyone?

https://www.torquecars.com/toyota/aygo-tuning.php
  • MattFalle
    oh, yes. just bought it
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Yeah, get it chipped and lowered and one of those big noisy exhausts. Huge subwoofers. Blue leds. Then join the national Trust, and put one of their acorn stickers in the back window.

I changed my bottom bracket. Fittingly enough. The old bearings were hardly turning, let alone making a slight gritty noise. These english threaded sram gxp bottom brackets are pretty short lived, and pretty low on stock. Any alternatives out there that aren't EUR 300 (!!) looking at you "ceramic speed".

Just going to see if that has actually fixed the click/creak, or whether the whole bike needs the hammer/petrol/matches/trebuchet treatment....
  • MattFalle
    well, the JBL model comes with uprated sound system and subwoofer where the rear wheel lives........

supercharged and uprated management chip should take me to c. 150bhp......
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

Yeah, get it chipped and lowered and one of those big noisy exhausts. Huge subwoofers. Blue leds. Then join the national Trust, and put one of their acorn stickers in the back window.

I changed my bottom bracket. Fittingly enough. The old bearings were hardly turning, let alone making a slight gritty noise. These english threaded sram gxp bottom brackets are pretty short lived, and pretty low on stock. Any alternatives out there that aren't EUR 300 (!!) looking at you "ceramic speed".

Just going to see if that has actually fixed the click/creak, or whether the whole bike needs the hammer/petrol/matches/trebuchet treatment....

re b/b: soz, only ever used gxp which, tbh, i've found the cost longevity not tooooo bad.

not square taper fit and leave for 30 years good, but not tooooo bad.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start was enjoyed, now chilling with a coffee. Lad is home so went for a beer with him last night before leaving the yoof to it, he got in at 4 so I'm glad I left early.
    I bought a Nukeproof GXP and the bearings are still as smooth as the day I bought it. Mainly because it's still in the box and hasn't been fitted.
  • MattFalle
    just about to go and do some turbo training.

moved Dirk from downstairs kitchen to gym to act as ornament until the sun arrives next year.
  • hopkinb
    Bottom bracket, despite being virtually seized, was not the source of the creak.

🤬

Removed, cleaned
    and greased every part of the drive train (including all chainring bolts) (creak there out of saddle and no-handed, but not while freewheeling, so must be drive train). Well, except for the drive side pedal. Which led to this. I can never remove drive side pedals.

Removed seat post and greased anyway, greased seat post clamp bolt, removed saddle, greased rails.

Creak still there.

🤪🤪🤪🤬🤬🤬

Therefore must be drive side pedal. Went to fetch hammer, petrol and trebuchet, but gave the pedal one last hard stare.

🧐

What's this little bolt? Ah yes, that tightens the cleat mechanism. Let's give this a few turns to tighten it up on both pedals....

Can you guess? Go on, have a guess.

Silence. Golden, blissful whirr of rubber-clad plastic deep rimmed wheels on tarmac.

Fcuking bikes. Half minded to deploy trebuchet anyway, as no time for a ride now...
  • veronese68
    Well done on fixing it but get a Hello Kitty plaster on that hand quick.
    I've been dismantling my coffee machine I use at work to give it a thorough descaling as it was farked. Now bubbling away nicely. I hope I can get it back together again.

• hopkinb

Well done on fixing it but get a Hello Kitty plaster on that hand quick.
    I've been dismantling my coffee machine I use at work to give it a thorough descaling as it was farked. Now bubbling away nicely. I hope I can get it back together again.

I doused it in tcp and gave it a good scrub with a wire brush.

That's some coffee machine!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    hopkinb said:

Bottom bracket, despite being virtually seized, was not the source of the creak.

🤬

Removed, cleaned
    and greased every part of the drive train (including all chainring bolts) (creak there out of saddle and no-handed, but not while freewheeling, so must be drive train). Well, except for the drive side pedal. Which led to this. I can never remove drive side pedals.

Removed seat post and greased anyway, greased seat post clamp bolt, removed saddle, greased rails.

Creak still there.

🤪🤪🤪🤬🤬🤬

Therefore must be drive side pedal. Went to fetch hammer, petrol and trebuchet, but gave the pedal one last hard stare.

🧐

What's this little bolt? Ah yes, that tightens the cleat mechanism. Let's give this a few turns to tighten it up on both pedals....

Silence. Golden, blissful whirr of rubber-clad plastic deep rimmed wheels on tarmac.

Fcuking bikes. Half minded to deploy trebuchet anyway, as no time for a ride now...

Next time I have a squeaky pedal I’ll bring my bike to yours for a full service and new parts 😂
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • hopkinb
    edited July 2021
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

🤬

Removed, cleaned

Creak still there.

🤪🤪🤪🤬🤬🤬

🧐

Next time I have a squeaky pedal I’ll bring my bike to yours for a full service and new parts 😂
    That is literally what it's had. Chain, cassette, bottom bracket. Everything else stripped, cleaned and greased (I even had the rear derailleur in bits to clean the jockey wheels and springs properly). Plus the new saddle I bought, and the headset and forks kindly fitted by V68, oh yeah, and the front wheel bearings he did.

I wouldn't recommend the mechanic, he's a bit surly and very cack-handed and slow (not V68, me)

Turns out a bit of electrical tape and a couple of turns of a bolt was all that was actually required...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    hopkinb said:

Yep, it must have neon whancker lights. And a cheap fibreglass body kit. Then take a pic and stick it on the Barryboys website (motto = if you can't take a joke, don't drive one).
    https://barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

🤬

Removed, cleaned

Creak still there.

🤪🤪🤪🤬🤬🤬

🧐

congrats on fixing but you know this does mean you need n1 as current bike is a tinkerer and taking up so much of your time.

that wound definitly requires a night of decent vino rosso, 'scratchins and past episodes of TDLW's classics....
  • veronese68
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

🤬

Removed, cleaned

Creak still there.

🤪🤪🤪🤬🤬🤬

🧐

That is literally what it's had. Chain, cassette, bottom bracket. Everything else stripped, cleaned and greased (I even had the rear derailleur in bits to clean the jockey wheels and springs properly). Plus the new saddle I bought, and the headset and forks kindly fitted by V68, oh yeah, and the front wheel bearings he did.

I wouldn't recommend the mechanic, he's a bit surly and very cack-handed and slow (not V68, me)

Turns out a bit of electrical tape and a couple of turns of a bolt was all that was actually required...
    Let's be honest, it probably needed a fair amount of that. And I'm also surly and cack-handed, just marginally less of the latter than you 😂
  • veronese68
    Lad went mountain biking at QE Park on his way home yesterday. Said the bike needs better tyres, just looked in 2 bike shops and not a single 26" tyre between them.
  • hopkinb
    edited July 2021
    MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

🤬

Removed, cleaned

Creak still there.

🤪🤪🤪🤬🤬🤬

🧐

congrats on fixing but you know this does mean you need n1 as current bike is a tinkerer and taking up so much of your time.

that wound definitly requires a night of decent vino rosso, 'scratchins and past episodes of TDLW's classics....
    No room.

I'd love a proper road bike, then I'd put a long cage derailleur, higher spoke count wheels, 11-36 cassette and 35 or 40 mm knobblyish tyres on what I have now, which is a cx/gravel frame anyway. Apparently there's loads of good gravel riding not too far from here.

Maybe I'll sell/donate the boy's bike. He never uses it, and it takes up a fcukton of space in the "pikey metal shed" (TM Pinno) with its silly wide handlebars.

Then I would have room for a sleek road machine. Then I'd have to spend ages choosing though. Custom steel with high end (possibly Italian) mechanical groupset? Off the peg or custom carbon with etap?

I might put the boy's bike in next door's house (empty), see how long it takes anyone to notice. If > 3 months, then commence Operation Posh Bike.
  • hopkinb
    MattFalle said:

Vino rosso (vino tinto if I'm being strictly accurate) and scratchins (or maybe fresh biltong from the saffer shop down the road) definitely on the cards.

Do you mean Lucy Worsley the historian? There's a bunch of her stuff on iplayer. I think mini wants to watch Harry Potter, Mrs H³ is out, so I might tune in..
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

🤬

Removed, cleaned

Creak still there.

🤪🤪🤪🤬🤬🤬

🧐

No room.

I'd love a proper road bike, then I'd put a long cage derailleur, higher spoke count wheels, 11-36 cassette and 35 or 40 mm knobblyish tyres on what I have now, which is a cx/gravel frame anyway. Apparently there's loads of good gravel riding not too far from here.

Maybe I'll sell/donate the boy's bike. He never uses it, and it takes up a fcukton of space in the "pikey metal shed" (TM Pinno) with its silly wide handlebars.

Then I would have room for a sleek road machine. Then I'd have to spend ages choosing though. Custom steel with high end (possibly Italian) mechanical groupset? Off the peg or custom carbon with etap?

I might put the boy's bike in next door's house (empty), see how long it takes anyone to notice. If > 3 months, then commence Operation Posh Bike.
    i reckon that sounds like a mega plan

thinking SR, Bora Ultras.....

Mrs H3 will never notice. if she does just say you it from a man down the pub who is getting divorced and needs the money.

we could have a bracketeers trip to Italy for mega blow, ho and frame purchasing
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

Vino rosso (vino tinto if I'm being strictly accurate) and scratchins (or maybe fresh biltong from the saffer shop down the road) definitely on the cards.

Do you mean Lucy Worsley the historian? There's a bunch of her stuff on iplayer. I think mini wants to watch Harry Potter, Mrs H³ is out, so I might tune in..
    that sounds lush.

do it do it do it do it do it.

yes. TDLW the g
    historian. The cause of a thousand accidents in my pants.

she's soooooo lovely.
  • MattFalle
    edited July 2021

so utterly wonderful.

sheer joy and nice and sweet and kind and wonderful.
  • hopkinb
    She's the curator of the royal palaces, (Hampton Ct, Tower of London, Kew.etc). I'm a member, I went on a member's tour of Hampton Court with her once. She is bloody lovely.
  • hopkinb
    Went on a ride once with a "fat dentist", not a dentist, but a hedge fund guy. Husband of one Mrs H³'s friends. He had a Pegoretti, beautiful blue paint job, dripping with campag and some bling wheels which I forget. It was a flat ride out to Henley-on-Thames via Windsor and back, to be fair I was in reasonable shape, but for such a lovely bike to be ridden like a Dutch shopper was a shame. He had about 60mm of spacers under the stem. Still, he bought me lunch when we got back to Wimbledon for dragging him round.
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

She's the curator of the royal palaces, (Hampton Ct, Tower of London, Kew.etc). I'm a member, I went on a member's tour of Hampton Court with her once. She is bloody lovely.

she's also the future Mrs MF.

She's so utterly wonderful.