TDF 2021: Stage 13, Nîmes > Carcassonne 219.9 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    andyp said:

daniel_b said:

Lloydy taking about Blythe "Our sometime colleague, and current traitor"

Is he commentating\presenting for someone else then?

NBC for the US. He's doing the same role for them as Wiggins is doing for GCN/Eurosport. By all accounts he's very good. Which doesn't surprise me, but I still struggle to believe that a US audience would understand his accent.
    What a shame, he is missed on ES, I hope he returns.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    I see that the greatest cyclist of the age finished 15th today, behind such luminaries as B&Bs Cyril Barthe.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited July 2021
    Just realised why Cavendish and Morkov were cycling so hard. Every second counts:

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    So I replanted some geraniums and started a lemon and poppyseed loaf in the last 20k to avoid the old squeaky bum while watching malarkey, and...

My superstition isn't silly. Honestly it isn't. It works.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows

So I replanted some geraniums and started a lemon and poppyseed loaf...

And I think this might be the most middle aged, middle class thing anyone has ever posted on an internet forum.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Hang on, this is important news - what type of geraniums?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    I've got a huge man crush on Mørkøv. To have never won a tour stage, but to look over and make sure you don't take the win from your teammate, who's won 33, before you throw your bike ...That's dedication to your art, that's supreme teammateship. Mørkøv, you beautiful beautiful man.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    edited July 2021

Hang on, this is important news - what type of geraniums?

Tiny monsters. Quite fitting actually.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Ooh, nice. Geraniums are one of the few things that don't get chomped by the slugs in my garden, so we've got loads. Don't think I've got any geraniums with a cycling angle, although I've got plenty of climbers...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    ITV 4 highlights show discovering an earnest enthusiasm for discussing if we can believe *this* winner given the history of the Tour. Presumably a history which doesn't include a decade of success for British riders and a British team.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

ITV 4 highlights show discovering an earnest enthusiasm for discussing if we can believe *this* winner given the history of the Tour. Presumably a history which doesn't include a decade of success for British riders and a British team.

I thought the bit with the academic was interesting.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    dabber said:

What a combo....Morkov and Cav....just brilliant

Before that it was Renshaw. Lucky to find those riders.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    amrushton said:

dabber said:

Was going to say earlier which is the better lead out man, Renshaw or Morkow?
  • Pross
    I don't get the point in changing the 3km point today. Seems to make no sense unless you take the GC time at that point otherwise the GC riders are still fighting to make sure they don't let a gap go.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Pross said:

amrushton said:

dabber said:

Was going to say earlier which is the better lead out man, Renshaw or Morkow?
    Renshaw's reviews of the sprint stages are quite interesting.
  • above_the_cows

Ooh, nice. Geraniums are one of the few things that don't get chomped by the slugs in my garden, so we've got loads. Don't think I've got any geraniums with a cycling angle, although I've got plenty of climbers...

You need some Escar-Go. The only thing that's been got in my garden is one hosta where the fokkers launched an aerial attack via some ornamental nettles.

Aaaaaand, back to the cycling... wow, still can't believe Cav this Tour, damn boring stage, marred with abandons (RIP Kluge and your hopes for the Lanterne) ended in making hisotry.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    daniel_b said:

andyp said:

daniel_b said:

Lloydy taking about Blythe "Our sometime colleague, and current traitor"

Is he commentating\presenting for someone else then?

NBC for the US. He's doing the same role for them as Wiggins is doing for GCN/Eurosport. By all accounts he's very good. Which doesn't surprise me, but I still struggle to believe that a US audience would understand his accent.
    What a shame, he is missed on ES, I hope he returns.
    Very Adam Blythe thing to do thou ... LOL
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I remember when we called him more kov not merku
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Never realised how few Tours Merckx rode
  • Pross
    Seeing the highlights Ballerini did a good job in forcing the other sprinters to open up quite early. Garcia did a very good long sprint
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    The crash from the point of view of the DSM mechanic

Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Somewhat heartened by watching him punch that saddle back into approximately the correct orientation. Glad to know that I've been applying a professional technique for years.
  • above_the_cows
    Avondettape has Marcel Kittel on, the respect he is showing is really lovely to see.

As an aside he's totally fluent in Dutch.
  • Equals Merckx record in stage 13 - during his 13th Tour - 13 years to the day after his first stage win

The stars really have aligned, haven't they?
  • RichN95.
    For all the talk of him matching Eddy Merckx, comparison to other sprinters is ludicrous. It's an outlier to match Don Bradman's Test batting average

34 Cavendish
    22 Darrigade
    15 Maertens (includes 3 TTs)
    14 Kittel
    12 McEwen, Zabel, Sagan
    11 Greipel
    10 Hushovd

And most of them were his rivals
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95. said:

For all the talk of him matching Eddy Merckx, comparison to other sprinters is ludicrous.

Won't stop some (internet forum people) from trying though...
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    edited July 2021
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123

Weird..... this was on Gardeners World tonight......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • RichN95.
    dabber said:

Morkov comes across and a really classy and nice guy.

He also comes across someone who knows his excellence and gently reminds you of it in a quite passive way.