Advice On New Road Bike Wheels - £1k Max

robertmalik
robertmalik Posts: 1
edited July 2021 in Road buying advice
I'm after new road wheels to upgrade my racing bike at some point, ideally good all round, therefore reasonably light weight with mid sections (still good on long climbs) and also on the flats. Clincher, rim breaks. I have ultegra, 10 speed.

Quiet wheels, not the noisy ones when free wheeling!!

Price range = Nothing more that £1k for both wheels.

Any tips or experience people have had would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks all

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    Also the noise of the freewheel clicking can be significantly reduced with a load of grease in the hub I believe
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,617
    oxoman said:

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-rim-brake-wheelsets
    If you don't see anything you fancy, ask nicely and I'm sure Malcolm will build something different for you.

Oh ffs you weak minded pillock. There are literally hundreds of wheel builders in the UK and only one who gets away with gratuitous free advertising on here.
  • First.Aspect
    oxoman said:

Now now F.A. I only recommend the ones I've personally used. Rather than go for blingy rubbish like some peddle. There's also wheelsmith and DCR who I've also used. I suppose you have hunts on yours.

Mavics. I have personally found cycle clinic objectionable when his oracle level knowledge is challenged by some reasoned physics. And he's gone off in a huff more than once. I wouldn't spend money there personally.
  • First.Aspect
    oxoman said:

That's your choice. The OP asked for help I've merely passed on my experience. I'll give you the mavics there good as well.

But not hand built. By an artisan.
  • MattFalle
    its what this place should be - light hearted, informative, knowledgeable with Hunts being described as what they are - prettyshite.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    MattFalle said:

its what this place should be - light hearted, informative, knowledgeable with Hunts being described as what I say they are because I have had no first hand experience of them - doyourowninvestigationandmakeyourownminduopinsteadof payingattentiontokeyboardwarrierswithsomuchtimeontheirhandsthattheyhavetocommentoneverythreadthattheycantopumpuptheirpostcount.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited July 2021
    I'd chip in with advice of my own, but I apparently spent too much on my last build.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • First.Aspect
    oxoman said:

I think if I was spending a grand on new wheels I'd want something special and preferably handbuilt.

Are they necessarily synonymous?
    For a hand built wheelset at £1k you are going to get Chinese rims, Sapim spokes and Bitex hubs, most likely. You will get more choice, perhaps, but that's basically a Farsport wheel right there - but built by an artisan in a shed in Sussex or wherever.

I simply don't understand the hype.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

oxoman said:

I think if I was spending a grand on new wheels I'd want something special and preferably handbuilt.

For a hand built wheelset at £1k you are going to get Chinese rims, Sapim spokes and Bitex hubs, most likely. You will get more choice, perhaps, but that's basically a Farsport wheel right there - but built by an artisan in a shed in Sussex or wherever.

The "hype" to me is that it's a lot easier to return a faulty wheel to a builder in Sussex than sending it back to China. A builder such as Cycle Clinic does offer a pretty comprehensive guarantee as well.

I got Spokesman (a guy in a shed in Devon) to build me wheels for less than £1k which have some very nice hubs from Erase.
  • First.Aspect

oxoman said:

The "hype" to me is that it's a lot easier to return a faulty wheel to a builder in Sussex than sending it back to China. A builder such as Cycle Clinic does offer a pretty comprehensive guarantee as well.

I got Spokesman (a guy in a shed in Devon) to build me wheels for less than £1k which have some very nice hubs from Erase.
    Sure. Absolutely nothing wrong with handbuilts. But "get handbuilts" seems to be about as much of a cliche these days as "get a bike fit".
  • Ben6899

oxoman said:

You'll get much more than China and Bitex, for £1k if you go handbuilt.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    edited July 2021
    I was looking in this kind of budget last year.

I narrowed it down to Scribe @£870 I think, or Cero who were at the time £750.

By sheer fluke a facebook ad came up on one of the for sale pages for some 2nd hand Enve wheels - think they were up for £1200.

Barely used, only for TT's by this chaps wife, and apparently in really good condirion.

Managed to negitiate the price down to £1050 I think, and took the plunge.
    IIRC they were £2400 or £2600 new.

The wheels are straight and true, braking surfaces are fine - bought some Enve grey pads as recommended, but gather black prince are means to work fine as well.
    Slight panic when I realised the rear wheel was rattling, but found a youtube wideo for how to tighten it which was literally a 30 second job.

Also replaced the decals for ones more to my colour liking, and they ride amazingly well, very comfy, what I believe to be aero improvements over the Mavic Cosmic wheels, but with the chris king hubs they are noisy on freewheel, but that's such a minor thing it wasn't even a consideration for me.
    They are also deeper than the Mavics, and lighter :-)

As already mentioned, if you are really bothered, pack it out with a ton of grease.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    Ben6899 said:

oxoman said:

More than Bitex perhaps. But what is a "Borg" rim for example?

And anyway, the Farsport equivalent is probably closer to £600-£700 these days.

£1k gets you carbon spoked wheels and filament wound rims from China now.
  • Ben6899

Ben6899 said:

oxoman said:

More than Bitex perhaps. But what is a "Borg" rim for example?

And anyway, the Farsport equivalent is probably closer to £600-£700 these days.

£1k gets you carbon spoked wheels and filament wound rims from China now.

No idea what a Borg rim actually is. I should add that the wheels I (and mates who also go hand-built as preference) have all use household name components. Ambrosio, DT Swiss, Sapim, PMP, Chris King.

For me, hand-built means you're getting a wheel that:
    1. Is well built (or should be if you choose a good builder);
    2. Tailored to weight, needs, usage; and
    3. Genuinely serviceable*.

*a high quality hub will outlast the rim, easily. You can keep that hub and lace any rim you want to it (within reason) just by changing spoke length.

Having said all of that, I wouldn't hesitate to ride a set of Bora WTO or Cosmic SLR.
    Ben

• Ben6899
    And here I am, chipping in with advice...
    Ben

• MattFalle
    andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

its what this place should be - light hearted, informative, knowledgeable with Hunts being described as what I say they are because I have had no first hand experience of them - doyourowninvestigationandmakeyourownminduopinsteadof payingattentiontoandyrrkeyboardwarrierswithsomuchtimeisontheirhandsthattheyhaveatocommentoneverytotatlthreadthattheycantobellendpumpuptheirpostcount.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Ben6899 said:

I'd chip in with advice of my own, but I apparently spent too much on my last build.

Ben, I apologise for my "waste of money" comment regarding your wheels. It was harsh, and they sound perfect for how you use them. My point was that £550+ was too much to spend on any alu wheel (IMO), but I guess that's the price of premium DT Swiss components put together by a top builder.

For the OP, if Bora WTO 45s are too dear, I would look to Wiggle Primes for good value carbon rims, or perhaps something like the the Cero AR30s for light alu jobs that are not too pricey. Also, talk to your local wheel builder: 38 - 45 mm carbon on light weight Bitex or Novatec hubs with Sapim CX-Ray spokes should be within your price range, and be excellent all rounders that will look good on any bike. If you don't mind waiting, LightBicycle.com is also worth a look.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,610

oxoman said:

That Spokesman build is what I'd be getting.
  • Ben6899
    edited July 2021
    bobones said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben, I apologise for my "waste of money" comment regarding your wheels. It was harsh, and they sound perfect for how you use them. My point was that £550+ was too much to spend on any alu wheel (IMO), but I guess that's the price of premium DT Swiss components put together by a top builder.

For the OP, if Bora WTO 45s are too dear, I would look to Wiggle Primes for good value carbon rims, or perhaps something like the the Cero AR30s for light alu jobs that are not too pricey. Also, talk to your local wheel builder: 38 - 45 mm carbon on light weight Bitex or Novatec hubs with Sapim CX-Ray spokes should be within your price range, and be excellent all rounders that will look good on any bike. If you don't mind waiting, LightBicycle.com is also worth a look.

@bobones , no worries - I wasn't remotely put out by your comment. It's just banter.

I'd second the Cero recommendation - any of their wheels, to be honest.
    Ben

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    Ben6899 said:

bobones said:

Ben6899 said:

@bobones , no worries - I wasn't remotely put out by your comment. It's just banter.

I'd second the Cero recommendation - any of their wheels, to be honest.
    Thirded you mean ;-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    edited July 2021
    I have some Hope/Sapim/Carbonal wheels from Spokesman that were well less than 1K and I really like them. Because of my weight and use case I went handbuilt so I could tailor them to my needs - e.g. 28x2cross front/32x3cross rear etc. To me that is the 'advantage' of getting them built. If you don't need anything out of the ordinary then a good set of 'factory' wheels will be fine.

Since I bought those 2 years ago I've taught myself to build wheels which is deeply satisfying to do if you have the time to get it right. Most of the 10 or so pairs I have built since have been DT rims and spokes on Shimano or Hope hubs and those have turned out pretty well too - all alloy rims though. I was also quite impressed with some Halo whitelines I built up for a jump bike.

Edit to add: the Hope hubs are well noisy, so maybe avoid them. Shimano hubs are pretty quiet but might not be what you want.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    edward.s said:

Edit to add: the Hope hubs are well noisy, so maybe avoid them. Shimano hubs are pretty quiet but might not be what you want.

The aluminium freehubs with 2 pawls are quiet(er) than the steel 4 pawl freehubs. I’ve got both.