Sports personality of the year

Mark Cavendish in all facets. Or Tyson Fury. Or that footballer who helped with the lunches Some good role models from unexpected sources

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Lot of big events this year. Raheem Sterling must be in a with a shout if we win tonight.

Olympics, Lions tour and Ryder Cup still to come.

Hard to see Cav getting a look in even if he gets the stage wins record.

Hard to see Fury getting it too if all he does this year is beat Wilder again. Might have been different if the Joshua fight happened.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    It'll probably be Hamilton again tbh.

Same old same old...
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    One of the Kennys if the Olympics go well?

Rashford would be popular or another footballer if Eng win the Euro’s?

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    mrb123 said:

Lot of big events this year. Raheem Sterling must be in a with a shout if we win tonight.

Olympics, Lions tour and Ryder Cup still to come.

Hard to see Cav getting a look in even if he gets the stage wins record.

Hard to see Fury getting it too if all he does this year is beat Wilder again. Might have been different if the Joshua fight happened.

I can't see the tests going ahead.
    One game already cancelled and now they have 2 players with Covid.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    It was borderline mental trying to even put it on this year IMO
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    MattFalle said:

It'll probably be Hamilton again tbh.

Same old same old...

Unlikely to even win the championship at this rate.

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Bear in mind last time there was an Olympics and a British team made the Euros semis a cyclist who won two stages and the Yellow Jersey wasn't one of 16 nominees
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    Is anyone excited about the Olympics this year? It's a weird one, I can't generate any enthusiasm.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593

Is anyone excited about the Olympics this year? It's a weird one, I can't generate any enthusiasm.

Zip, zilch, nada, nowt.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    pblakeney said:

Zip, zilch, nada, nowt.
    Didn't even realise it starts in a couple of weeks time.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593

pblakeney said:

Zip, zilch, nada, nowt.
    😱😱😱😱
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900

I'd like to be. No/minimal crowds and a poor timezone for watching live is leaving me rather cold.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,216
    I suspect it will be one of those things I get into when it starts.

As for Rashford for SPOTY, I thought he got some award in the last one to (deservedly) recognise what he has done?
  • RichN95.

I'm taking a week off work to watch the second week. Mostly becuase I've accumulated so much leave in the last year and a half and I have to use it.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,599
    I began to get into it the other day when I was looking up the details of the MTB.

Plenty of things on atm to take my interest tho, so as mentioned above will be one to get into once it starts
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

pblakeney said:

Zip, zilch, nada, nowt.
    this. didn't even cross my sporting radar
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,238
    Think we can all agree WvA is so good he should win despite not being eligible.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900

Could get the overseas award😀
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Yeah give him a year or two he might come up to Tom P’s standard. ;)
  • I think we can write off this discussion for the year.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510

I think we can write off this discussion for the year.

Will she get it every year if she keeps winning?
  • RichN95.

Probably. Firstly, tennis is the BBC's sport and secondly I think there's a sizeable crossover between people who watch Wimbledon and people who vote on reality TV shows (which is essentially what it is)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Hmm, give it a month.

I think people are forgetting what a big deal the kickball was...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    ddraver said:

Hmm, give it a month.

I think people are forgetting what a big deal the kickball was...

They'll get team of the year and Southgate Manager of the year.
    I think most footie followers realise Kane was a pile of sh!te, so that would leave Sterling as a contender.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    RichN95. said:

Probably. Firstly, tennis is the BBC's sport and secondly I think there's a sizeable crossover between people who watch Wimbledon and people who vote on reality TV shows (which is essentially what it is)
    They failed to get coverage of the final and Channel 4 beat them to a deal with Amazon who have been showing the non-wimbledon slams for a while. The been love Wimbledon, but other comps, not so much.

They made a big thing of advertising that they would have a highlights show and then cancelled it due to C4 agreeing live coverage.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2021
    elbowloh said:

RichN95. said:

They failed to get coverage of the final and Channel 4 beat them to a deal with Amazon who have been showing the non-wimbledon slams for a while. The been love Wimbledon, but other comps, not so much.

They made a big thing of advertising that they would have a highlights show and then cancelled it due to C4 agreeing live coverage.

But Wimbledon is still their big sports event. So they are going to big up anything tennis related.

You can see by who gets the overseas awards which until recently were cxhosen by a panel not voted on.

Trivia: Rui Costa, the cyclist not the football player, has been Portuguese Sportsman of the Year three times. Cristiano Ronaldo never has.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Always annoyed me that Valentino Rossi never won the Overseas award; and was overlooked in favour of tennis/athletics. Personality wise, he should have be odds on to win.

However, Raducanu is virtually a 'dead cert' to win - and so she should, she is incredible. Unless the good old UK public vote as brainlessly as in other votes.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2021
    andyrac said:

However, Raducanu is virtually a 'dead cert' to win - and so she should, she is incredible. Unless the good old UK public vote as brainlessly as in other votes.

Merit wise, I think it should be Adam Peaty IMO. Two gold medals and is unbeaten in 100m for seven years now.
  • I think it's going to be a landslide for Emma Raducanu and I think it's totally deserved. Coming from the qualifiers to win the US Open is massive... I can't really think of any other performance that gets anywhere near
    left the forum March 2023
  • RichN95.

I think it's going to be a landslide for Emma Raducanu and I think it's totally deserved. Coming from the qualifiers to win the US Open is massive... I can't really think of any other performance that gets anywhere near

Tom PIdcock hadn't even done a senior MTB race before May. He was Olympic champion just three months later. And he broke his collarbone in between.