Android to Apple....

Starting to look for a new phone as the last couple of updates have completely broke the one essential feature (Wi-Fi calling) I had on my current phone (RealMe7).

I only change phone when its either broken or no longer receiving security updates ( generally 2-3 years dependant on manufacturer).

Looking at Apple for the first time as it seems they are still supporting, with security patches, 6 year old iPhone6S's. That appeals to cheapskate in me :)

Before I finally decide though a quick question.

Anyone changed recently and found that something you took for granted is no longer available?

All my major Apps have an IOS version or an alternative, so that's no issue. Just wondering if there are any underlying OS issues that have caught people out.

Cheers :)

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    I can't comment on moving from Android but with new phones coming out soon there is a very high chance that support will be dropped for the 6 series phones, if not 7 as well. Beware.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Apple are pretty well known for making older phones almost impossible to use when they update the OS. They deliberately make them really slow when they've updated the software.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    edited July 2021
    I change my phones every 5 years now (although buy a high end phone each time). I had my iPhone 5 (2012) for 5 years and currently on the iPhone X (2017), which I will probably update in 2022. The previous phone then gets relegated to bike computer and then TV remote (using my old iPhone 4 as a remote which still works). After 4 years you might need to change the battery, but they are only around £20 off Amazon.

I am someone who does like the latest tech, but phones are so powerful now, they don't slow down as much as they used to with new OS updates. So don't really see the need to upgrade as often.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    Just buy an iPhone, you'll be more than happy.
    FWIW I'm on O2 and cant use wifi calling unless I activate it with the network.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Stick with android, the noddy apple interface will drive you crazy.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Im still using a 2017 Samsung S7 edge and have an iphone xr through work.

S7 has been great. still works though battery getting long in tooth but it is 5 years old

2020 iphone xr. Running out of memory, not enough cloud space, heavy, poor screen while scrolling. clunky interface. cant find settings, stupid forced settings on updates. Cant stop Apple plus links on news. Charges slow, cables break. stupid apple account sharing nonsense. i could go on.