Best way to repair a hole in thermal bibshorts?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,577
edited July 2021 in Road general
Afternoon,

hanging up some washing today, and found a hole in the thigh area on my beloved Omloops :-(

https://castelli-cycling.com/fi/omloop-thermal-bibshort/p/430020720P

I do have other pairs, but this was one that had had very little wear in the scheme of things, where as another pair is fairly long in the tooth now :/

They are not your standard bibshort material, thicker and more substantial, so not sure what I could do to repair them - iron on patch seems to be a no no, so either bunch it together on the outside and stitch it together, or try and stitch something over the top on the outside - not worried about it looking gash, but concerned if I try and repair on the inside it will end up being itchy.

Anyone fixed something similar?

Wetsuit repair patch?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    I'd just sew it up by going across the hole from all directions but not pulling it closed too much, just gently gather it together and let the cotton criss-crossing it like a spider web close the hole.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Stapler
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Patch?
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2021

Patch?

My google search did suggest the wetsuit repair patches, as they have some give in them, so I may see how the stitching thing goes, and if it doesn't work properly, might look to put a patch on both the inside and out.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    yes, iron-on wetsuit repair material

cut to size so that there's about 2cm around the edge of the hole

put the patch on the inside, apply as much pressure as you can when ironing, doing it on a hard surface works best
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    TBH I've fixed shorts by just pinching together and stitching. The material is so stretchy that it doesn't affect the fit.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    mrb123 said:

TBH I've fixed shorts by just pinching together and stitching. The material is so stretchy that it doesn't affect the fit.

+1 to this. Even my exceptionally limited sewing / stitching skills can cope with it.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    To be honest I would welcome a hole in some of my bib shorts then I could throw them a way. They don’t seem to really wear out these days.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Just crash. normally your first outing in the uber lovely £200 bib shorts guarantee an off. I went to a garment alterer who charged me £10 for an invisible repair on some Assos tights. She did a great job.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    I use Ironmend. have some patches 3+ years old and still holding firm.

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    never seen that. but looks v.good
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    amrushton said:

never seen that. but looks v.good

I was sceptical but it does work - some bibs I tore a hole in the arse of 3 years back I am still using now. I've also used it on my daughters wetsuit and thats survived a fair bit of use.
  • RedClip
    RedClip Posts: 110
    Thermal bibshorts in July!!
    Are you a Downunderist? 😉
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2021
    RedClip said:

Thermal bibshorts in July!!
    Are you a Downunderist? 😉

I went out at 6am a few weeks back (Technically June I guess!) on a cloudy morning, it was 6c at that time of day - and I feel the cold!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18