Urgent advice needed re Giant Terrago 29 2

Hello. Any help with the below would be much appreciated - test ride in the morning!

One of the few bikes I can get my hands on via my company's cycle scheme is a £950 Giant Terrago 29 2.

Oddly since I think of Giant as a big brand, hardly anyone has reviewed it

Does anyone know anything about the lesser spotted Terrago?

Any advice on whether it's decent value in these strange times would be really useful. And I don't have the techy eye for whether it'll be easy to upgrade over the years - any thoughts there please?

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers
Al

Comments

• crofty21
    crofty21 Posts: 14
    That's really kind of you to reply and thanks for the reassurance.

Not the most interesting thread I know, but I'm very grateful for the advice.

Best wishes
    Al

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Interesting that you can get a Terrago as they are not officially available in the UK.
    Looks good for the price though. As Oxoman says, it's got some good kit on it.

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • crofty21
    Thanks .Collecting it in the morning - from an actual Giant shop. I may ask where on earth it came from! They are lovely people in there btw.

I've switched from a huge XL Specialized Rockhopper (now in the care of local burglars) to the large size Terrago and it feels tiny. In my test ride I literally stopped twice to check it was a 29er! And I took it back saying 'Nah, too small surely...'

But the bike shop guys slid the seat (err, saddle? No it is seat isn't it?) back a bit and dropped it down an inch or two, insisting I've been riding way too high on previous bikes for about 30,000 miles, with my legs at near full stretch which has always felt a nice relief to my knackered footballers' legs but is apparently not good. And the second part of my test ride felt ok if still a bit odd.

So, I'm trusting them and going for the bike and a complete change in riding position to feel way more compact on the bike rather than all high up and stretched out. Felt almost like being back on a BMX!

Assuming the bike shop guys are right and this is my correct size and fit, does anyone have any advice on getting used to a much smaller, lighter bike? Even the steering felt different with my arms narrow compared to my old bike..

Or maybe there's nothing to say other than put some miles in and it'll all fall into place?

Sorry to go on. Quite excited but nervous too, so rambling like an idiot!

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2021
    Congrats on the new bike. Ah, new bike day is always a good day, enjoy!👍

Maybe your Rockhopper was too big and your saddle wasn't set right and you've got used to it that way? Saddle height is important, too high can lead to back pain from your hips rocking side to side. Too low can give you other issues too. This guide has worked great for me and seems perfect:-

https://youtu.be/sUNgZ_aRRL8

Modern geo is different so could be that which is making you feel you're sat 'inside' rather than 'on top' of your new bike?

If your lbs guys know their stuff then I'd say you can trust their advice when it comes to correct fit so give it a chance and you'll get used to a new riding position.

Wider bars could be worth considering for your personal comfort and preferences.

• crofty21
    Just what I needed to hear this morning so thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Really kind of you.

Cheers
    Al

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have always used the 'leg straight when heel is on the pedal at its lowest position' method for setting saddle height and had no problems at all.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Bought my wife a Liv Tempt 1 29er last week (Liv is Giant's female-orientated brand) and I was impressed with the build quality overall. Also impressed with the way it was safely packaged up by Giant Store Norwich.

Coming from a very old mtb, it was a totally different riding position for her too. As mentioned above, more 'in' the bike than 'on' it.

Hope you enjoy your Terrago!
  • crofty21
    Thanks for responses. I feel slightly flattered by the attention!

Loving the new bike, but I am bouncing in my 'low' saddle as I graft uphill. I never got a great cyclist's bum despite years of riding, so might I previously have used the high saddle to just power through with legs alone, piston stylee?

If so, then maybe with my new compact riding position, now I need to kind of engage my core properly and maybe increase my cadence with a fuller 'curcular motiion' (sorry!) of the pedals? That feels like the right idea...

I am so far out of my comfort zone here. I never talk to anyone about my cycling!!!
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2021
    Hey @crofty21 why not post pics so we can have a look at your new Terrago. 😉