New tyres or wheels ?

Gave up trying to get marathan pro tyres on my boardman road bike and had to take it to LBS where i saw them do it but took two of them. So if i solo ride and have a puncture i am not gonna be confident about changing tubes. I have watched the youtube how-to vids on how to handle tight tyres.
Should i get different tyres or different wheels ?

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I'd practice getting tyres on and off. It's a skill you'll need no matter which tyres or wheels you use.

Marathon's are tough so you may never need to change the tube if you're careful. Also a used tyre is usually looser than a new one and easier to fit.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Get normal tyres, get used to changing a tube. I started 10 years ago with marathons, terrified of punctures. I have now have conti 5000s, previously 4000's. I commuted (pre covid) 8000 km a year on glassy nasty London roads. I had/have on average 2 or 3 punctures per year. It's a 5 minute job, 10 mins if you want to be super sure there's no crap left in the tyre.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Or tubeless of course. Where if you get a puncture, all the glop in the tyre will self seal the hole. Or not.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    New tures.

Simple problem solved simply cheaply. Obermayer tubulars will suit your riding style perfectly.

Or get new wheels and new tures and smash the old ones with a hammer, set fire to them and lob them into next door's garden.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    Were you using tyre levers when you were trying to get the wheels on?
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    I’ve used the same tyres in the past and used a lever to get them on.